Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational)
Reload this Page >

Natchez Libre -- Does anyone know anything about it?

Search
Notices
Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) This has to be the most physically intense sport ever invented. It's high speed bicycle racing on a short off road course or riding the off pavement rides on gravel like : "Unbound Gravel". We also have a dedicated Racing forum for the Cyclocross Hard Core Racers.

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-18, 09:13 AM
FlashBazbo
Chases Dogs for Sport

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 983 Post(s)
Liked 141 Times in 94 Posts

I received a message today about a gravel race from Wildersville, TN called the Natchez Libre (November 10). It appears to be mostly within the Natchez State Park. Does anyone know anything about the course? The topography? The gravel? Whether there are checkpoints or supported stops? (Sorry about the questions, but the email link to the organizers isn't working.)

It is good to see a gravel race in middle/west Tennessee. I would like to get a group together to make the trip . . . but they're going to want more information.

Does anyone know about this one?
Old 10-24-18, 10:23 AM
Chris(NJ)

Bikes: Aethos (inbound), Pivot LES -XX1, Ibis Hakka -Force1

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Not much info in the BikeReg notes either. Doesn't sound like theres any rest stops. Only mention food/drink at finish.

Natchez Libre is a mixed surface event with something for everyone. We have a 38 & 70 mi course of 75% Gravel and a road ride with a 40 & 60 mi routes. There's even a 14mi option for beginners.
Awards will be given to top male and female in the gravel ride as well as age groups. There will be food and refreshments at the finish. Very scenic and low traffic roads in the Natchez State Park.
Old 11-06-18, 03:24 PM
BigJW

Bikes: Guru Strada, Salsa Warbird, Giant Roam 1, Weyless Elite

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Their Facebook page has a little more info. Someone asked about support, and the organizers replied "There will be 2 aid stations along the route as well as multiple places to get water."

I rode some of these roads a couple years ago, and I remember them as typical middle Tennessee dirt roads. Some were rocky and more akin to Jeep roads, but nothing too crazy from what I rode.

Here's the long route if you haven't seen it. It shows the topography, and you can zoom in on satellite views to get a better idea of the surfaces.

https://ridewithgps.com/routes/28863355

I plan to go with my son and some other guys. It's gonna start off pretty chilly but should warm up and be a nice day.
Old 11-08-18, 02:24 PM
FlashBazbo
Chases Dogs for Sport

The race organizer said that there would be an email going out to entrants yesterday with all the needed details -- but I haven't seen it yet. Maybe the most pertinent detail is that, at race time, the temperature is supposed to be 27*. Last weekend, we were riding in shorts and summer jerseys! I'm not sure I'm sufficiently acclimated yet to do a race at 27*. (And I would expect to finish before the temps get to 40*.)
Old 11-08-18, 02:30 PM
FlashBazbo
Chases Dogs for Sport

Originally Posted by BigJW
Their Facebook page has a little more info. Someone asked about support, and the organizers replied "There will be 2 aid stations along the route as well as multiple places to get water."

I rode some of these roads a couple years ago, and I remember them as typical middle Tennessee dirt roads. Some were rocky and more akin to Jeep roads, but nothing too crazy from what I rode.

Here's the long route if you haven't seen it. It shows the topography, and you can zoom in on satellite views to get a better idea of the surfaces.

https://ridewithgps.com/routes/28863355

I plan to go with my son and some other guys. It's gonna start off pretty chilly but should warm up and be a nice day.
ridewithgps won't display that route. It says that it's "private."
Old 11-08-18, 02:41 PM
BigJW

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by FlashBazbo
ridewithgps won't display that route. It says that it's "private."
Not sure why...my Ride with GPS shows it's public...but try this one, which is the route posted by the organizers.

https://ridewithgps.com/routes/28763034
Old 11-08-18, 02:48 PM
FlashBazbo
Chases Dogs for Sport

That one works. Thanks!
Old 11-08-18, 02:50 PM
BigJW

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
That one works. Thanks!
Happy to help. I did find that you were right of course...the other was set to private. It was a copy of the route they posted, and it wasn't intentionally set that way. I changed the privacy setting, so either link should work now.

I just registered for the ride. I'm not a fan of the cold, but I think I have the right gear to be OK. It's supposed to be sunny at least, which will help a lot.
Old 11-08-18, 05:01 PM
BigJW

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It is good to see a gravel race in middle/west Tennessee. I would like to get a group together to make the trip . . . but they're going to want more information.
There was another race a few weeks back nearby called the Gosh Darn Gravel Grinder. Were you aware of it? I didn't do it, but my son did. I have ridden the route before, and it is pretty challenging. They've done it for two or three years now but don't seem to get much turnout, so I'm curious whether you've even heard of it.
Old 11-08-18, 05:19 PM
FlashBazbo
Chases Dogs for Sport

There was another race a few weeks back nearby called the Gosh Darn Gravel Grinder. Were you aware of it? I didn't do it, but my son did. I have ridden the route before, and it is pretty challenging. They've done it for two or three years now but don't seem to get much turnout, so I'm curious whether you've even heard of it.
I was aware of it but had to be out of state that weekend. The roads in Hickman County (where the GDGG is run) are pretty good. Not Midwest good, but probably the best in Middle Tennessee. The Ben Fly climb is a challenging highlight as is one of the roads-which-doubles-as-the-creekbed. In my county there are no unpaved roads at all. Any gravel race entails at least a 2-hour drive for me.
Old 11-09-18, 08:42 AM
BigJW

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I was aware of it but had to be out of state that weekend. The roads in Hickman County (where the GDGG is run) are pretty good. Not Midwest good, but probably the best in Middle Tennessee. The Ben Fly climb is a challenging highlight as is one of the roads-which-doubles-as-the-creekbed. In my county there are no unpaved roads at all. Any gravel race entails at least a 2-hour drive for me.
Yes, Hickman County is the gravel Mecca of middle Tennessee. Ben Fly is fun but not on the GDGG route. My sympathy for having to drive so far to find gravel. I had a couple roads close to me that were recently paved, which was sad. There are still a couple I can ride to, or I can drive to Hickman in 40 minutes.
Old 11-09-18, 02:33 PM
FlashBazbo
Chases Dogs for Sport

Happy to help. I did find that you were right of course...the other was set to private. It was a copy of the route they posted, and it wasn't intentionally set that way. I changed the privacy setting, so either link should work now.

I just registered for the ride. I'm not a fan of the cold, but I think I have the right gear to be OK. It's supposed to be sunny at least, which will help a lot.
This early in the season, a 22* windchill is going to be too much for the Warren County contingent. Our group is bowing out. Have a good race!
Old 11-09-18, 02:40 PM
BigJW

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
This early in the season, a 22* windchill is going to be too much for the Warren County contingent. Our group is bowing out. Have a good race!
I can't say I blame you...I'm questioning the wisdom of my decision myself. I'm taking every piece of cold weather kit I own and will decide when I get there what to wear. Hopefully it will be the fun kind of suffering!