Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Starting OVer... In more ways than one...

Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Old 11-16-18, 12:13 AM
Cheeky DeVille

Bikes: Raleigh Burner MKII

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Hello,

I'm from Bombay, India. F-55YO/5'2''/55kgs. I have a BMX that i last used twice a couple of weeks ago before which it just lay there for the last 15 years! I use to be a photojournalist 12 years ago and would like to get back to photography. I have a notion that RE-CYCLING will probably do it for me

I have just returned a Montague Paratrooper Pro (about $900/-) that I had for a week, enjoyed for a day but stressed about its being too big, non existent stand over and kept banging my leg on the carrier, otherwise it rode beautifully.

Looking at bikes online, it appears that something for TOURING may have to be a STEP THROUGH for me. I am not able to get a bike my size and was looking at some options, the only decent STEP THROUGH (ST) I can find appears to be a Fuji Absolute 1.9 (less than $500/-)

BIKEPACKIN advised on getting a decent bike and building up from there. I think I should do this. An ST is probably the way to go for me. And if I am able to bring up my endurance in 6 months to a year, I suppose i could consider upgrading as and when the components require.

Considering this for a start - https://www.citygrounds.com/products...=1211119861785
PLEASE ADVICE.

What brakes are advisable please - rim or disc?

If any of you know of other bike options, please let me know.

Thanx much!

Last edited by Cheeky DeVille; 11-16-18 at 12:53 AM.
Old 11-16-18, 09:08 AM
Retro Grouch 

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 364 Posts
Just do it!

As you have already discovered, one of the functions of your first bike is to help you figure out what you want in your next bike. Acquire a bicycle - any bicycle - and ride it around for some period of time. Every time that you ride it, make a mental list of what you like about it and what you hate. That list will form a good guide to use when you go to buy your next bike.

Another thing you mentioned was having an BMX background. One of the interesting things about bicycling is how many different ways there are to do it. As you bash your first, beater bike around, you will also be discovering how and where you most enjoy riding your bicycle. That will have a big impact on what features to look for in your next bike.
Old 11-16-18, 10:12 AM
Cheeky DeVille

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Retro Grouch
Just do it!

As you have already discovered, one of the functions of your first bike is to help you figure out what you want in your next bike. Acquire a bicycle - any bicycle - and ride it around for some period of time. Every time that you ride it, make a mental list of what you like about it and what you hate. That list will form a good guide to use when you go to buy your next bike.

Another thing you mentioned was having an BMX background. One of the interesting things about bicycling is how many different ways there are to do it. As you bash your first, beater bike around, you will also be discovering how and where you most enjoy riding your bicycle. That will have a big impact on what features to look for in your next bike.
journal my rides! Good idea! Thanks for the encouragement.
Old 11-16-18, 01:43 PM
BlazingPedals

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1513 Post(s)
Liked 734 Times in 455 Posts
The disc vs rim brake question is sure to generate some argument. Just like asking about chain lube, everyone has their own opinion and everyone else is wrong. What I see is that racing bikes are going to stay rim brake for the near future, while MTB, touring and general use are going to be slowly moving to disc. Why? Because discs offer better braking in imperfect conditions, and no rim wear. The trade-off is that wheel installation is slightly more complicated, they weigh a little more, and rack mounting might be more complicated. Mechanical discs can be fiddly, so if you go with discs, I would recommend getting hydraulic ones.
Old 11-16-18, 11:34 PM
Cheeky DeVille

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by BlazingPedals
The disc vs rim brake question is sure to generate some argument. Just like asking about chain lube, everyone has their own opinion and everyone else is wrong. What I see is that racing bikes are going to stay rim brake for the near future, while MTB, touring and general use are going to be slowly moving to disc. Why? Because discs offer better braking in imperfect conditions, and no rim wear. The trade-off is that wheel installation is slightly more complicated, they weigh a little more, and rack mounting might be more complicated. Mechanical discs can be fiddly, so if you go with discs, I would recommend getting hydraulic ones.
Thank you. Will endeavour to get that model bike that has it.