Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Any interest in a BF GAP / C&O tour 2019?

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Any interest in a BF GAP / C&O tour 2019?

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-18, 02:08 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18415 Post(s)
Liked 15,541 Times in 7,329 Posts
Originally Posted by u235
Same inside Harpers Ferry Hostel. Wood and a ring.
Their fire insurance must be astronomical.
Old 07-12-18, 02:36 PM
u235

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 437 Post(s)
Liked 133 Times in 86 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
I work for a railroad and just had to take that video. Quite a transition from crickets chirping to the horn. The train you hear is the Capitol Limited heading to Chicago from D.C. I could hear it coming up the hill and whipped out the camera. There are a couple of grade crossings in Rockwood. By law, a train has to blow its horn at each one unless what is called a "quiet zone" has been established. To establish one, a municipality has to jump through a lot of regulatory hoops, including having a vehicular traffic study performed. Based on that study, and several other factors, the municipality may have to make certain physical improvements to the crossing to qualify for a quiet zone. All that (and future maintenance) is paid for by the municipality, and the costs can be very high depending on what's needed. I worked on two for my employer. Both were in very tony areas in North Jersey that had the money to spend.
Off topic but a friend of mine lived off those tracks in a small unincorporated area closer to Pittsburgh. His house was between the tracks and the river and his front porch was less then 50 foot from the tracks and about 50 yards from a crossing. Oddly you got used to the noise
Old 07-13-18, 09:23 AM
Altair 4

Bikes: 2011 Novara Forza Hybrid, 2005 Trek 820, 1989 Cannondale SR500 Black Lightning, 1975 Mundo Cycles Caloi Racer

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 258 Post(s)
Liked 291 Times in 157 Posts
Maintaining the off-topicness, I have come to realize that I have always lived within hearing distance of a train track, my entire life, despite having moved 7 times. Even now, living several miles from tracks, I can hear train horns at 4 different crossings if I wake up in the middle of the night.

The last time I rode the GAP, I saw at least three trains that had locomotives at both ends of the train, pulling and pushing. Kinda cool.
Old 07-16-18, 05:48 AM
k0guz

Bikes: 2000 Bianchi Veloce, 2016 REI Mazama hybrid, 2023 Tern D7i folding bike

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 39 Times in 17 Posts
Back on topic: this sounds intriguing. The itinerary, the mileage, the nature of the group. My only concern is getting me & my bike to Pittsburgh and back from Washington. I live in western Colorado, and although we do have Amtrak, who knows if it's going to be there next year...
Old 07-16-18, 06:38 AM
mrv 
buy my bikes

Bikes: my very own customized GUNNAR CrossHairs

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 519 Post(s)
Liked 428 Times in 249 Posts
i would be interested. so I will follow the thread to see how things develop as far as the schedule goes.
I could take the Amtrak out of Toledo to the start (Pittsburgh? Boston?).
The mileage sounds reasonable. A couple of weeks ago my long days were about 90 miles. Toooo long.
Old 07-28-18, 08:44 PM
robow

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 598 Post(s)
Liked 283 Times in 194 Posts
Spin, yea, it was 7 days, 1 for the Montour, 3 for the GAP with one being a short day, and 3 longer days on the C and O to DC. It was a good time (other than day 5 which was HELL !)
Was going to talk to you about this because I have at least 6 or more individuals that want to come out next year and do that ride. Some from Little Rock, buddy from Denver, and a few more closer to home (including Mrs. Robow). Anyway, it is going to happen for us so if we can join in, that would be great, but if the timing doesn't work out, will understand completely.
Old 11-05-18, 07:24 AM
mrv 
buy my bikes

any progress?

Starting my 2019 planning. Let me know if there has been any progress on planning and/or timing. I am aiming to do the GAP + C&O, either direction. Personal preference would be June.
OR catch the AMTRAK from Ann Arbor (which just started allowing bikes a few months ago) to Chicago, north to Wisconsin, across Lake Michigan to Luddington, back to Detroit across Michigan.
Thanks.

https://gaptrail.org/
The C&O Canal Bicycling Guide - Welcome!
Old 11-05-18, 08:05 AM
1-track-mind

Bikes: 92 Bridgestone xo-2 Turner Sultan

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Interested in doing the GAP/CO in early fall 2019. How would you set it up so that you spent the night in Ohiopyle ?
Old 11-05-18, 09:31 AM
Rob_E

Bikes: Downtube 8H, Surly Troll

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 303 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 21 Posts
Originally Posted by 1-track-mind
Interested in doing the GAP/CO in early fall 2019. How would you set it up so that you spent the night in Ohiopyle ?
You wouldn't. Or at least I wouldn't. Unless you were actually staying in town.

But when I did it, I started in Pittsburgh, late in the morning, and had a leisurely ride out of town. Stopped at Dravos Cemetery/campground to look around, and it started pouring, so I decided to stop for the day. The next day I found myself on the trail and coming on Ohiopyle when it was starting to get dark. It was about a 50 mile day, following my 20 to 25 mile day getting out of Pittsburgh. If I did it again, I'd plan it so that I didn't stop at Ohiopyle, but if I wanted to stop there, I'd plan for a more evenly spaced two days, stopping at Cedar Creek or Roundbottom the first day, and Ohiopyle the 2nd. If you're credit card touring and/or in good shape, you could likely get an early start and go from Pittsburgh to Ohiopyle in one day. That's a faster pace or longer day than I'd want to plan on for unpaved surfaces, but I'm sure people have done longer days on the trail.
Old 11-05-18, 09:48 AM
robow

Our group has decided on riding the 7 days from northern Pittsburgh to DC in September. We presently have our basic itinerary and dates set, but there's always that chance it might be modified (or an audible called) if conditions warrant it.
Old 11-05-18, 11:45 AM
mrv 
buy my bikes

Originally Posted by robow
Our group has decided on riding the 7 days from northern Pittsburgh to DC in September. We presently have our basic itinerary and dates set, but there's always that chance it might be modified (or an audible called) if conditions warrant it.
- drop me a note if there's any space in your group. I was wanting to avoid the hotter months - July & August. I did a 4 day trip last July. Ended up with a 90 ish mile day in 95F heat. a bit brutal....
If it's a tight knit group that already is too big, no worries. Thanks.
Happy Trails.
Old 11-05-18, 04:00 PM
robow

Originally Posted by mrv
- drop me a note if there's any space in your group
IM sent
Always room for more
Old 11-05-18, 05:56 PM
spinnaker
Every day a winding road

Bikes: 2005 Cannondale SR500, 2008 Trek 7.3 FX, Jamis Aurora

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 3394 Post(s)
Liked 63 Times in 46 Posts
I don't know if I will have the time now to work on this. If someone can take the lead I could always consult.
Old 11-06-18, 09:27 PM
seedsbelize 
smelling the roses

Bikes: 79 Trek 930, 80 Trek 414, 84 Schwinn Letour Luxe (coupled), 92 Schwinn Paramount PDG 5

Mentioned: 104 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7081 Post(s)
Liked 901 Times in 612 Posts
Sounds like a fun trip. I will be just finishing up my monthlong visit North, on Memorial Day weekend, and probably flying out of DC. If I didn't have a complete bike and a frame set to bring back, I'd consider extending for that week. Maybe another time.

Old 11-06-18, 10:53 PM
larryforgy

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
What kind of bike would be required for a trip like this? I have been biking regularly for about three years, and would like to do some touring. I am in a Maryland DC suburb about 10 miles from the C&O canal and have had a desire to do this trip for a while.

I have a recumbent with 1.5 inch tires that I have ridden on the canal tow path from Harper's Ferry south to DC. This part of the tow path is pretty solid and I don't have any problems as long as it is completely dry, but gets pretty difficult if the path is muddy. Would such a bike work for a trip like this?

Thanks,
Larry Forgy
Old 11-07-18, 05:13 AM
jpescatore

Bikes: Trek Domane SL6 Disc, Jamis Renegade

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 364 Post(s)
Liked 304 Times in 217 Posts
I see plenty of recumbents on the the Towpath, with 1.5" tires you will be fine as far as the roughness of the surface. Those are roughly equal to 38mm tires - bigger will be more comfortable, but I have 35mm on the bike I use on the Towpath and they are fine and more than fine for most of the GAP trail.

The section of the Great Allegheny Passage trail downhill from Frostburg has some really washed out spots that were short but deep sand/gravel pits when we rode it in August. I don't ride a recumbent, but that might be the only problem area. We had less experienced cyclists who had to walk those sections but only a few hundred yards at most.
Old 11-07-18, 05:34 PM
spinnaker
Every day a winding road

The problem I see is you are awfully close to the mud.
Old 11-13-18, 12:36 PM
cannonride15

Bikes: Cannondales: '85 ST400, '86 SR800, '87 SM600

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Interested, subscribed for updates!
Old 11-16-18, 12:54 PM
mrodgers

Bikes: 2014 Giant Escape 1

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 289 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 20 Posts
This is very interesting. I've never taken a look in the touring section.

My first trip was with the VLP Veteran ride to DC last year over the 4th of July (I didn't go this year). We rode in 5 days and for my slow rear end, it was a bit much, especially since it was my first multi-day ride. Hot also. Most days were at least 75 miles, last day was 82 miles I think, but there was 1 short day of 56 miles I think.

I'll have to keep an eye on this thread if any more info pops up.

My buddy at work just told his wife one day that he read about the GAP/C&O ride and decided to pack up his bike and go alone. He met Jack laying on the rock at the bend before you climb the final slope to Ohiopyle, who did some work for the VLP in Pittsburgh. They were talking and Jack said, "this would be a cool ride for a benefit fundraiser." That's how the idea of the "335 Miles for Veterans" started. The following year Jack and a few guys from VLP rode to DC. The next year which is the year I rode (last year) we had 84 cyclists in total with 50 of us doing 5 days, 31 ride 4 days, and 3 crazy people ride it in 3 days. They rode the GAP the first day and broke the C&O up into 2 days.
Old 11-17-18, 11:40 AM
Cougrrcj

Bikes: A few...

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 620 Post(s)
Liked 371 Times in 257 Posts
Interested, and subscribing.
Old 01-23-19, 08:08 PM
mrv 
buy my bikes

update

howdy
I've set my dates for September. I'll be chasing @robow group a bit and probably connect with them their last 2 days.
If anyone is interested in my specific itinerary let me know and I'll forward it to you via a PM. (I seem to be paranoid about publishing my detailed itinerary on the interwebs! )
Basically I'm set in my start/finish dates, but what happens in between is flexible.

My mileage will be something like:
Day 1: 27 miles (maybe more, depends how tired I am from the train ride. The AMTRAK gets into Pittsburgh at 5AM. So probably breakfast and start pedaling. )
Day 2: 61
Day 3: 60 (possibly more if I don't feel like going civilized and stopping at Cumberland)
Day 4: 72
Day 5: 54
Day 6: 64
I don't anticipate going faster than that. It's possible, but that midnight train out of Toledo will probably make a rough start. I giving myself some slack. That and looking at the trail condition reports, it sounds like detours are common.

Anybody know if reservations are required due to no vacancy at Fort Fredrick and the Outflow campgrounds? The Outflow seems to have plenty of space (30 hike/bike $5 spots). Fort Fredrick fewer spots. But reading some blogs it seems like camping along the path is pretty easy if one is willing to forego showering the whole time!

cheers.
Old 01-23-19, 09:16 PM
spinnaker
Every day a winding road

I have never made a reservation at Outflow. I don't think they turn people away that are on bicycles. .
Old 01-28-19, 01:17 PM
joel2old

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
10 years in a blink of a eye

Can't believe its going to be ten years. I was part of that group. Today I still see and feel the day and day after that rain. It was the worst and in ways the best riding experience of my life. It was a test to push yourself to the limit and in the end win. I considered myself a very strong rider and to this day I don't know how some of the other riders survived that day. I think I told myself never again will I do that ride, but you never know!
Joel from Michigan
Old 01-29-19, 05:47 AM
jpescatore

Bikes: Trek Domane SL6 Disc, Jamis Renegade

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 364 Post(s)
Liked 304 Times in 217 Posts
A friend and I hiked the Towpath this past weekend from Point of Rocks up to where the Towpath is still out at mile 52. They have started the work on the temporary crossing - it was supposed to be completed by the end of September but continued high water levels on the Potomac have made it impossible to finish. Should be done before your ride, but right now the only way around is to go on the active railroad tracks for a short bit.

Here's a picture: under that water area are several sections of large plastic pipe that will be covered with ballast/gravel to be the "temporary" crossing. It will probably be there for several years before the destroyed culvert under the towpath is replaced.

Under that water is the start of a crossing.
Old 01-30-19, 08:37 AM
mrv 
buy my bikes

Originally Posted by jpescatore
Under that water is the start of a crossing.
well, it wouldn't be the first re-route dealt with....

your spare inner tube can be used as a flotation device in the event of a water landing....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.