Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Living Car Free
Reload this Page >

What is an Electric Scooter, actually?

Search
Notices
Living Car Free Do you live car free or car light? Do you prefer to use alternative transportation (bicycles, walking, other human-powered or public transportation) for everyday activities whenever possible? Discuss your lifestyle here.

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-18, 01:37 PM
tandempower

Mentioned: 90 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8084 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 13 Posts

https://www.jsonline.com/story/news/...ing/848654002/
Milwaukee municipal authorities seem to have rejected e-scooters because they are not regulated by the state government, while the Bird company contends they aren't the kind of motor-vehicles that require regulation. In statutes I've seen, motorized bikes become scooters above 50ccs. I don't know anything about electric vehicle definitions. What's your opinion? Are the scooters motor-vehicles like cars and trucks, or are they different? Do you think the Milwaukee authorities rightly deferred authority to the state level, or did they just do it as an excuse to ban the scooters without opening themselves up for criticism in doing so?

On a lighter note, this has me wondering if go car lite in Milwaukee, does that make you Milwaukee lite?
Old 08-01-18, 06:26 AM
jon c. 

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1591 Post(s)
Liked 1,018 Times in 571 Posts
As with e-bikes, I think that if these become more popular the chances of regulation will increase. As you increase the number of riders, you invariably increase the number of riders who will do dumb and unsafe things with the vehicles. I suspect these aren't really clearly covered by existing law in most places. Which leaves authorities either needing to interpolate some manner to fit them into existing law or ask for more clear regulation. If ridership is low ad there are no problems, the use of such vehicles can be ignored. Once you get more riders, problems will arise and regulation of some sort will be necessary.
Old 08-01-18, 09:28 AM
linberl

Bikes: Trident Spike 2 recumbent trike w/ e-assist

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1321 Post(s)
Liked 374 Times in 288 Posts
I think speed regulation ( like the class 1, 2, and 3 e-bikes classifications) will apply to scooters. They will make it consistent to make it simple. And, it's not the device that is the problem, it's the speed at which it travels. Yes - there are unpowered cyclists who also travel at those speeds but they are not all that common. In SF a guy trying to set a Strava record hit and killed someone while riding UN powered and going really fast; It's not the device. I actually think the scooters are great (once they solve the issue with people just leaving them everywhere in the street). Many ctiies have less than stellar public transit and these are great solutions for short distance travel on your time/terms. I don't have a problem with class 1 or 2 e-bikes either when the top speed is 20mph with rider assist and pedaling is required to make it work. There are many places where you don't need a car if you have an e-bike, this will reduce traffic for those that do have to drive, and free up parking.
Old 08-01-18, 11:50 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18409 Post(s)
Liked 15,530 Times in 7,326 Posts
Originally Posted by jon c.
As you increase the number of riders, you invariably increase the number of riders who will do dumb and unsafe things with the vehicles.
Last week, while I was walking to work on the sidewalk, some chucklehead buzzed me extremely closely (from behind) while riding one of those things. Had I taken a small step to the side to avoid a pile of dog crap he would have collided with me. I am glad the traffic light a short distance ahead didn't turn red or I might have gone after him and ended up being charged with assault.
Old 08-01-18, 09:47 PM
Dahon.Steve

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 261 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 10 Posts
These electric scooters are catching on in New York City. i see them all the time and yes they are traveling faster than most bicyclist. I'm very well aware of the risks involved since i'm a Xootr owner. Although no one tells you, thick gloves, knee pads and a bicycle helmet should be mandatory! Type in electric scooter and accident on Google and start reading the horror stories!

I still want one although! ;-)
Old 08-02-18, 06:40 AM
tandempower

Mentioned: 90 Post(s)
Quoted: 8084 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
Last week, while I was walking to work on the sidewalk, some chucklehead buzzed me extremely closely (from behind) while riding one of those things. Had I taken a small step to the side to avoid a pile of dog crap he would have collided with me. I am glad the traffic light a short distance ahead didn't turn red or I might have gone after him and ended up being charged with assault.
A pedal-powered cyclist passed me walking like that the other day without any audible forewarning and gave me a jump scare. I think with small vehicles like bikes, ebikes, scooters, skateboards, etc. they should obey a non- aggressive speed and behavioral norms when pedestrians or other vehicles are present. It's ok to go 10mph on a sidewalk when there's no chance of hitting someone, but racing past pedestrians and slow-moving cyclists causes stress and why can't people be mindful of that?
Old 08-04-18, 11:06 PM
linberl

Bikes: Trident Spike 2 recumbent trike w/ e-assist

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1321 Post(s)
Liked 374 Times in 288 Posts
Originally Posted by tandempower

A pedal-powered cyclist passed me walking like that the other day without any audible forewarning and gave me a jump scare. I think with small vehicles like bikes, ebikes, scooters, skateboards, etc. they should obey a non- aggressive speed and behavioral norms when pedestrians or other vehicles are present. It's ok to go 10mph on a sidewalk when there's no chance of hitting someone, but racing past pedestrians and slow-moving cyclists causes stress and why can't people be mindful of that?
The polite thing to do is ring a bell, even if people aren't in your way, just to let them know you're there and to prevent them from moving in front of you at the last second. Of course, then there are the pedestrians who refuse to move over at all no matter how many times you ring a bell.....
Old 08-07-18, 12:24 PM
chalex

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Or vice versa, they hear the bell and jump to one side
Old 08-07-18, 08:26 PM
350htrr

Bikes: 27 speed ORYX with over 39,000Kms on it and another 14,000KMs with a BionX E-Assist on it

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1024 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 49 Posts
Any two wheel contraption with a motor and a throttle... even if it has those "pretend pedals"...