Go Back  Bike Forums > The Racer's Forum > Track Cycling: Velodrome Racing and Training Area
Reload this Page >

Does Gym Strength Matter in Match Sprinting?

Search
Notices
Track Cycling: Velodrome Racing and Training Area Looking to enter into the realm of track racing? Want to share your experiences and tactics for riding on a velodrome? The Track Cycling forums is for you! Come in and discuss training/racing, equipment, and current track cycling events.

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-18, 11:10 AM
colnago62

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 741 Post(s)
Liked 412 Times in 230 Posts

Does a rider’s physical strength matter when match sprinting and why or why not? I ask partly because a discussion in the 41 about sprinting and the position that sprinting does not require great strength but high aerobic capacity. The other position is that sprinting does require strength and examples of large sprinters are given. I feel like it is an apples to oranges debate, however I do remember a coach from New Zealand also say that soothing similar. He stated that he never had any of his riders workout in the gym. He was working with junior women.
Old 09-14-18, 11:43 AM
queerpunk
aka mattio

Bikes: yes

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 344 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 35 Posts
please link to this discussion in the 41 so that we can read it and chuckle about how wrong they are.

gym strength matters. it's not the only thing that matters, and yes, people can get pretty fast without hitting the gym. But the people who get the fastest do some really focused work in the gym. Wonder why that is?

edit: oh, you asked why.
because it requires a lot of strength to push on the pedals hard enough to go 45mph.

Last edited by queerpunk; 09-14-18 at 11:46 AM.
Old 09-14-18, 11:46 AM
Colnago Mixte

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 897 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
My younger brother can squat 3 times the weight that I can, but he's never come close to beating me in a sprint.

I suppose weight training can augment cycling performance, and I can't see it harming the rider's performance. But there is a whole lot more going on with fast sprinters than just pure brute strength.
Old 09-14-18, 12:11 PM
topflightpro

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1851 Post(s)
Liked 678 Times in 429 Posts
Here you go QP: https://www.bikeforums.net/road-cycl...gth-speed.html

It's turned pretty ridiculous.

And to clarify, I don't think most of the people in those threads understand the difference between track sprinting and road sprinting; e.g. they would probably assume Cavendish is a track sprinter too.
Old 09-14-18, 12:16 PM
colnago62

Are there any match sprinters consistently winning elite events that don’t have lifting as a large part of their program. All I have read about current sprint programs seem to emphasize building strength first then building speed endurance.
Old 09-14-18, 01:24 PM
Morelock

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 282 Post(s)
Liked 50 Times in 37 Posts
halfway there

wait... halfway to getting dropped... looks like the only way I'm going to see the front is on the derny.
Old 09-14-18, 01:38 PM
KraneXL

Bikes: Cannondale Quick SL1 Bike - 2014

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 3405 Post(s)
Liked 240 Times in 185 Posts
Strength no, since you can be a fat tub of lard and be strong. Fast-twitch, however, does matter, but its the strength-to-weight ratio (that guy that's half your size but just as strong) that wins the race.
Old 09-14-18, 02:00 PM
queerpunk
aka mattio

Originally Posted by KraneXL
Strength no, since you can be a fat tub of lard and be strong. Fast-twitch, however, does matter, but its the strength-to-weight ratio (that guy that's half your size but just as strong) that wins the race.
Nope, nobody in elite sprinting does any kind of the power:weight optimization that road cyclists do, or even talks about power:weight at all. They optimize power:aerodynamics, though, because at the speeds we're talking about, weight is insignificant and adding weight to gain power will make you make more speed.
Old 09-14-18, 04:01 PM
tobukog

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 14 Posts
Originally Posted by queerpunk
Nope, nobody in elite sprinting does any kind of the power:weight optimization that road cyclists do, or even talks about power:weight at all. They optimize power:aerodynamics, though, because at the speeds we're talking about, weight is insignificant and adding weight to gain power will make you make more speed.
That being said, I would bet that there are very few elite sprinters north of 120-30kg. At that weight the power gains are probably outweighed by the aerodynamic losses.
Old 09-14-18, 07:42 PM
colnago62

Originally Posted by tobukog
That being said, I would bet that there are very few elite sprinters north of 120-30kg. At that weight the power gains are probably outweighed by the aerodynamic losses.
My theory is that to get to that weight without adding body fat, you would be adding muscle that might not be that helpful to going fast, huge pectorals for example.
Old 09-15-18, 05:17 AM
carleton
Elitist

Mentioned: 88 Post(s)
Quoted: 1386 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 77 Posts
Originally Posted by topflightpro

And to clarify, I don't think most of the people in those threads understand the difference between track sprinting and road sprinting; e.g. they would probably assume Cavendish is a track sprinter too.
Exactly.

Chis Hoy and Mark Cavendish were on the same British National Team. At one point, Cav was declared "The Fastest Man in the World"...and couldn't hold Hoy's jock strap in track sprint events...and vice/versa in road events.
Old 09-15-18, 05:29 AM
Stormsedge

Bikes: 2017 Trek Domane SL6 Disc, 1990 Schwinn Crosscut Frankenroadbike, 2015 KHS Team 29 FS, 2000 Gary Fisher Tassajara--gone but not forgotten

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 155 Post(s)
Liked 49 Times in 30 Posts
https://media.giphy.com/media/KHw2Oi9NNAxmo/giphy.gif

Sorry, couldn't resist. I've weight lifted for years, but as a well-being effort vice any targeted goals. I feel like it helps my riding and other physical activities. Now over 60, I'm still at it, but listen to my body more...no point in permanent injury. A good read, with regards to how our bodies combine muscular and fascia efforts (couched in laymen terms) is Chris McDougall's "Natural Born Heroes". He also authored "Born to Run". Enjoy!
Old 09-15-18, 09:14 AM
colnago62

Theo Bos probably has the most success at making the transition from the velodrome. I wouldn’t consider him a top road sprinter, though. The physical requirements are just so different. They are really two complete disciplines.
Old 09-15-18, 12:00 PM
tobukog

Originally Posted by colnago62
Theo Bos probably has the most success at making the transition from the velodrome. I wouldn’t consider him a top road sprinter, though. The physical requirements are just so different. They are really two complete disciplines.
No one cares about him anyways. He's a match sprinter. There have been many riders who have made the transition to the road with far more success.
Old 09-15-18, 01:11 PM
colnago62

Originally Posted by tobukog
No one cares about him anyways. He's a match sprinter. There have been many riders who have made the transition to the road with far more success.
There have been many enduros, not many speed athletes. Marty Nothestein made the transition domestically.
Old 09-15-18, 03:45 PM
queerpunk
aka mattio

Originally Posted by topflightpro

goodness, what a dumpster fire.
Old 09-15-18, 03:55 PM
tobukog

Off the top of my head, Patrick Sercu,Urs Freuler, Guido Bontempi, Danny Clark were all considered to be good track sprinters who ended up doing well on the road.

These days I think it's becoming more difficult. But if Wiggins could win the Tour, I don't see why a track sprinter couldn't somehow transition into a somewhat decent road sprinter.
Old 09-15-18, 04:36 PM
wphamilton

Bikes: Nashbar Road

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 2934 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 228 Posts
Anyone looked at this? https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/27068517
Despite early and ongoing debate among athletes, coaches, and sport scientists, it is likely that resistance training for endurance cyclists can be tolerated, promotes desired adaptations that support training, and can directly improve performance. Lower-body heavy strength training performed in addition to endurance-cycling training can improve both short- and long-term endurance performance
Old 09-15-18, 04:38 PM
colnago62

Things seem so specialized now. The road sprinters struggled in this year’s tour to finish in the time limit. Anything can happen though.
Old 09-15-18, 04:52 PM
carleton
Elitist

Originally Posted by queerpunk
goodness, what a dumpster fire.
Yeah, the "41" is like that. Which is why the the "33" don't play that "Armchair cyclist Fred" stuff: https://www.bikeforums.net/33-road-bike-racing/

For the newer people: In a much older version of BikeForums, the sub-forums had unique numbers in the URLs. 41: General road cycling. 33: Road racing. I can't remember what this sub-forum's number was.

So, the nickname, "the 41" is faster than typing "Road Cycling" and everyone knew what you meant.
Old 09-15-18, 04:53 PM
carleton
Elitist

W/kg is important when climbing (anything from false-flats to mountains).

As QP notes, W/CdA is important for max speed.
Old 09-18-18, 05:43 AM
southernfox

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 194 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
w/kg matters for acceleration, though. ...but bigger people also get a bigger benefit from dropping down the banking. but for most sprint events, top speed is what wins most of the time.
Old 09-18-18, 06:04 AM
Colnago Mixte

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 897 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by colnago62
Things seem so specialized now. The road sprinters struggled in this year’s tour to finish in the time limit. Anything can happen though.
You're kidding me, that never used to happen in previous Tours.
Old 09-18-18, 09:33 AM
jfiveeight

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The W/CdA over W/kg for track sprinting makes sense and as mentioned by s.fox weight does affect acceleration. But, in reality most pro level track sprinters are very lean and weigh 95kg at the high end. A few outliers from a search are Hoogland and Bague. Glaetzer is 6' 3" and competed at 86kg in 2016, 94kg in 2018. You can't look at these numbers and say they don't care about weight at all, it takes a lot of effort and good nutrition to be as strong as they are and not end up 10kg heavier. A good level of weight and strength is something I am still trying to figure out for myself.

The argument could be made that the majority of track sprinters are 5'11"ish, but the only heavy one under 6' is Forstemann.

A neat reference site for olympics: https://www.sports-reference.com/olympics/athletes/
2018 data: https://results.gc2018.com/en/all-sports/athletes.htm
Old 09-18-18, 11:26 AM
carleton
Elitist

I would venture to guess that Glaetzer's W/CdA is one of the top if not the top in all of track cycling.

From the 1st link that jfiveeight posted above:

Height: 6'2.5" (190 cm)
Weight: 190 lbs (86 kg)

My estimate of his max wattage: 23,000 - 2,500W
CdA: ?

Last edited by carleton; 09-18-18 at 11:30 AM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.