Go Back  Bike Forums > The Racer's Forum > Track Cycling: Velodrome Racing and Training Area
Reload this Page >

Good Online Bike Shops For Buying Track Equipment

Notices
Track Cycling: Velodrome Racing and Training Area Looking to enter into the realm of track racing? Want to share your experiences and tactics for riding on a velodrome? The Track Cycling forums is for you! Come in and discuss training/racing, equipment, and current track cycling events.

Old 09-16-18, 10:50 PM
colnago62

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 741 Post(s)
Liked 412 Times in 230 Posts

I really want to buy a new track frame for no other reason than vanity. I would like to find a carbon frame, hopefully from a UK site to save some $$. Is there some good shops that sell online to look at? I have never owned a carbon track frame and would like to find one that isn’t crazy $$.
Old 09-17-18, 01:39 AM
Baby Puke

Bikes: Marin Stelvio, Pogliaghi SL, Panasonic NJS, Dolan DF4, Intense Pro24 BMX

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 365 Post(s)
Liked 87 Times in 58 Posts
https://brookscycles.co.uk
Old 09-17-18, 05:45 AM
topflightpro

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1851 Post(s)
Liked 675 Times in 427 Posts
You could look at Dolan or Planet X.

I believe velodromeshop.net is in the UK, but it has a spotty record.
Old 09-17-18, 08:20 AM
queerpunk
aka mattio

Bikes: yes

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 344 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 35 Posts
Originally Posted by colnago62
I really want to buy a new track frame for no other reason than vanity. I would like to find a carbon frame, hopefully from a UK site to save some $$. Is there some good shops that sell online to look at? I have never owned a carbon track frame and would like to find one that isn’t crazy $$.
Track stuff moves in such small quantities that the same purchase patterns for road stuff (like the ability to buy groupsets on greymarket retail from the UK for less than wholesale in the USA) don't apply.

That said, ebay and aliexpress both have lots of taiwanese built carbon track frames that are often purchased, relabeled, and re-sold for a lot more money by other brands. Two stand out - one of which has a rep as a quite good budget sprint frame, and another that's essentially a copy of a Cervelo T4 (which is one of the most popular bikes at the national-team/world-cup level) and is reasonably popular with enduros.
Old 09-17-18, 10:09 AM
rustymongrel

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by queerpunk
Track stuff moves in such small quantities that the same purchase patterns for road stuff (like the ability to buy groupsets on greymarket retail from the UK for less than wholesale in the USA) don't apply.

That said, ebay and aliexpress both have lots of taiwanese built carbon track frames that are often purchased, relabeled, and re-sold for a lot more money by other brands. Two stand out - one of which has a rep as a quite good budget sprint frame, and another that's essentially a copy of a Cervelo T4 (which is one of the most popular bikes at the national-team/world-cup level) and is reasonably popular with enduros.
The first option, the budget sprint frame is pretty good. Solid and has half decent sizing/geometry.

The second frame I really dislike. There's a bunch of them around here branded by a local bike shop and in my opinion it's everything that sucks about the T3/T4 without the redeeming quality of having proven world class aerodynamics.
Old 09-17-18, 11:56 PM
colnago62

Cool. I will check these out. I got a big pay raise. What better to spend it on than bike stuff. Thanks!
Old 09-18-18, 06:25 AM
topflightpro

If you want, you can also spend $3k on that same Cervelo knock-off: Veloforma Bicycles - Pista Pro Carbon Track Bike.
Old 09-18-18, 12:16 PM
carleton
Elitist

Mentioned: 88 Post(s)
Quoted: 1386 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 77 Posts
colnago62, you mention wanting to save money on the frame purchase. I'm not familiar with what kit you already have as well as other thing. But, the track frame ranks very low on the benefit/cost scale of things you can throw money at.

Unless you are looking for a new frame to avoid a problem you have with your current frame (e.g. wrong size, slipping seatpost, slipping track ends, etc...), there is a long list of things that will very likely show measurable gains before a new track frame will.

Maybe think of the frame as "fine tuning" your system after you've taken care of some of the things higher on the benefit/cost scale.

For example:

(Assuming all frames have the same size/geometry and all other components)

Setup A:
Steel frame + Zipp 808 race Wheelset

Setup B:
Cervelo T4 + 28 spoke training Wheelset

Setup C:
Felt TK FRD + 28 spoke training Wheelset

Setup D:
LOOK R96 + 28 spoke training Wheelset

You would be measurably faster on Setup A. Meaning, if you did sprint or endurance time trials the same day using all 4 setups, Setup A would be fastest.
Old 09-18-18, 12:17 PM
carleton
Elitist

That being said, frames can be sexy. There's nothing wrong with riding in style! I've owned several top frames and even 3 custom frames...and my times were virtually identical
Old 09-18-18, 01:47 PM
rustymongrel

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by carleton
colnago62, you mention wanting to save money on the frame purchase. I'm not familiar with what kit you already have as well as other thing. But, the track frame ranks very low on the benefit/cost scale of things you can throw money at.

Unless you are looking for a new frame to avoid a problem you have with your current frame (e.g. wrong size, slipping seatpost, slipping track ends, etc...), there is a long list of things that will very likely show measurable gains before a new track frame will.

Maybe think of the frame as "fine tuning" your system after you've taken care of some of the things higher on the benefit/cost scale.

For example:

(Assuming all frames have the same size/geometry and all other components)

Setup A:
Steel frame + Zipp 808 race Wheelset

Setup B:
Cervelo T4 + 28 spoke training Wheelset

Setup C:
Felt TK FRD + 28 spoke training Wheelset

Setup D:
LOOK R96 + 28 spoke training Wheelset

You would be measurably faster on Setup A. Meaning, if you did sprint or endurance time trials the same day using all 4 setups, Setup A would be fastest.
In all seriousness a T4 and likely a TK FRD with 28 spoke training wheels would be as fast or faster than a round tubed steel bike with race wheels.

An 808 vs a conventional alloy rim wheel is worth ~15w on the front and a little less on the rear.

The P4 on which the T4 is based was up to 20w faster compared to some competitors frames in 2009, the competitors being other contemporary carbon TT frames.
Old 09-18-18, 03:28 PM
carleton
Elitist

Originally Posted by rustymongrel
In all seriousness a T4 and likely a TK FRD with 28 spoke training wheels would be as fast or faster than a round tubed steel bike with race wheels.

An 808 vs a conventional alloy rim wheel is worth ~15w on the front and a little less on the rear.

The P4 on which the T4 is based was up to 20w faster compared to some competitors frames in 2009, the competitors being other contemporary carbon TT frames.
So, we are talking about less than 5W between Setup A and Setup B?
Old 09-18-18, 04:30 PM
topflightpro

Originally Posted by rustymongrel

I'm curious, where are you getting these figures?
Old 09-18-18, 04:34 PM
700wheel

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 144 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 11 Posts
Originally Posted by colnago62
I've seen carbon frames destroyed in road and track races plus on club rides. Here is one track crash I saw.
My old club warned members to only buy carbon if they could afford to replace it.
Old 09-18-18, 07:23 PM
colnago62

I currently have a Giant TCR Omnium frame and 808 wheels. I openly admit that it is not for performance, purely for vanity/ coolness factor.
Old 09-19-18, 01:04 PM
rustymongrel

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by carleton
So, we are talking about less than 5W between Setup A and Setup B?
Probably, I mean I'm extrapolating from separate tests but my point is that frames and wheels are similarly important and should both come after tires, skinsuit, helmet and even shoes IMO.

Personally I'd still go for wheels first since used stuff is pretty cheap and the bling factor is better

Originally Posted by topflightpro
I'm curious, where are you getting these figures?
https://www.aeroweenie.com/data.html
Old 09-19-18, 03:04 PM
Dalai

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by 700wheel
I've seen carbon frames destroyed in road and track races plus on club rides. Here is one track crash I saw.
My old club warned members to only buy carbon if they could afford to replace it.
Crashes can destroy any frame material. The only reason I replaced my aluminium 08 Fuji track pro back in 2014 was because it was damaged in a crash!

Whole heartedly agree with your old club members. I've always applied that motto when purchasing my bikes!
Old 09-20-18, 08:37 AM
carleton
Elitist

Originally Posted by 700wheel
Originally Posted by Dalai
Crashes can destroy any frame material. The only reason I replaced my aluminium 08 Fuji track pro back in 2014 was because it was damaged in a crash!

Whole heartedly agree with your old club members. I've always applied that motto when purchasing my bikes!
I agree.

There is similar logic in the world of car modifications. Basically, don't modify your car if you can't afford to deal with any issues that come from said modifications (voided warranty, premature wear, etc...)
Old 09-21-18, 09:21 AM
queerpunk
aka mattio

Bikes: yes

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 344 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 35 Posts
Originally Posted by Dalai
Crashes can destroy any frame material.
Old 09-21-18, 11:11 AM
carleton
Elitist

Wow. I can’t imagine that is fixable at all.

On a related note. Back in 2010 (?) a teammate of mine clipped a pedal and went down kinda hard on his Tiemeyer. Something around the BB shell was cracked. This was about 3 weeks before Masters Nationals (his big event for the season). Mr. Tiemeyer welded the frame and had it painted and returned in time for Nationals. Pretty cool of him.

I don’t think an off the shelf bike would be repaired, though.
Old 01-31-19, 11:03 PM
colnago62

Originally Posted by queerpunk

After a long internal debate, I bought the budget sprint frame. It looks good. Not super thrilled about the seatpost collar, but we will see. I have some Dixie Flyer bars on the way to connect to a Pro Carbon stem and will put a Shimano 165 cranks on. Slap it on my trainer and then take for a virtual spin.