Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Natchez Trace Fall 2018

Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Natchez Trace Fall 2018

Old 11-08-18, 11:35 AM
Gyro_T

Bikes: 1974 Jack Davis, Zeus Competition, Bridgestone MB2, Kona Rove Ti 1 X 11, Salsa Fargo Ti

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Natchez Trace Fall 2018

We (2 couples) just completed the Natchez Trace from just outside of Nashville to Natchez, MS. Made our own arrangements and saved a bundle. We stayed at historical home B&Bs and a a couple Air B&Bs. We saw almost solely supported riders. In 475 miles we saw only a few self supported riders. We flew home from Baton Rouge. Took our own bikes. It was a smooth trip. Only regret is that I did not see any gators! 11 days riding with about 3.5 days of rain. It was not cold so we were fine. We would take that over the hot temps they had in early Fall.
Old 11-08-18, 02:47 PM
blowboat

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Sounds like an awesome trip! I've been wateching videos and doing some reading on the Trace. Hope to tackle it in a couple of years.
Old 11-08-18, 02:57 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4194 Post(s)
Liked 3,837 Times in 2,295 Posts
I had a couple of customers who did a very lightweight and fast tour along the southern section this early summer. Their thoughts were that it was almost boring with little scenery. I suggested that they were going to fast to notice the small things or engage with people. But I didn't expect much different from the racers they are Andy
Old 11-08-18, 03:59 PM
JoeyBike
20+mph Commuter

Bikes: Surly LHT, Surly Lowside, a folding bike, and a beater.

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1430 Post(s)
Liked 330 Times in 218 Posts
Yeah, the NTP is pretty awesome. I have driven it cars, motorcycles, and bicycles - 6 times pedaling. Bike trips were usually leaving New Orleans or getting back home from much longer tours. NTP was always a great way to warm up for a 7-month cycling tour and a wonderful way to "decompress" as I make my last two weeks heading home.

So glad you had fun on it. Really beautiful and a little boring at times, in a good way! Peaceful!!
Old 11-08-18, 08:17 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10947 Post(s)
Liked 7,473 Times in 4,181 Posts
I went to college in MS and was about 20mi east of the Trace.
Rode a few day rides then and wish i was closer now to do multi-day touring. Really neat area.

gyro t- curious why you chose the Trace over everything else based on your location?
Old 11-08-18, 09:21 PM
b_young
Support JDRF

Bikes: Specialized Sirrus, Specialized Roubaix Elite

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
I was in Jackson MS a few weeks back on business and rode a little of the Trace in the evenings. It is definitely on my to do list.
Did you blog it? I like living vicariously through others.
Old 11-09-18, 07:27 PM
JoeyBike
20+mph Commuter

Originally Posted by b_young
I like living vicariously through others.
You might enjoy this. NTP photos start at about 00:50 (fifty seconds into the video). I also biked much of the NTP on the way back from this trip as well, and those photos are closer to the end of the video. Cheers.

https://vimeo.com/102943338
Old 11-09-18, 08:24 PM
b_young
Support JDRF

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by JoeyBike
You might enjoy this. NTP photos start at about 00:50 (fifty seconds into the video). I also biked much of the NTP on the way back from this trip as well, and those photos are closer to the end of the video. Cheers.

https://vimeo.com/102943338
Awesome. Thanks
I will be in Paradis LA in January. Last time I rode the MRT under the bridge and found a road heading south which were fun short rides. I may do the lake trail this time. Is there any other good rides around NOLA I should try?
Old 11-09-18, 09:02 PM
JoeyBike
20+mph Commuter

Awesome. Thanks
I will be in Paradis LA in January. Last time I rode the MRT under the bridge and found a road heading south which were fun short rides. I may do the lake trail this time. Is there any other good rides around NOLA I should try?
My favorite is the Tammany Trace that is a Rail-Trail running through bottomland hardwood forest, pine woods, and cypress swamp. Covington, LA to Slidell, LA. Highly recommend it. 30- miles one way.
Old 11-09-18, 11:02 PM
b_young
Support JDRF

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Thanks
Old 11-11-18, 01:58 PM
Gyro_T

Bikes: 1974 Jack Davis, Zeus Competition, Bridgestone MB2, Kona Rove Ti 1 X 11, Salsa Fargo Ti

Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by mstateglfr
I went to college in MS and was about 20mi east of the Trace.
Rode a few day rides then and wish i was closer now to do multi-day touring. Really neat area.

gyro t- curious why you chose the Trace over everything else based on your location?
We choose the Trace for a number of reasons. We had to get through farming stuff here in eastern Oregon and it starts to get cold here, also three of us had never been to Mississippi, it was reportedly a beautiful tour, and reasonably quiet for 444 miles. The natcheztracetravel.com made it easy to plan out. We are naturalists and history buffs and averaged 43 miles a day over 475 miles of riding. Many organized tours average significantly more miles. We were self supported, but not camping. At that rate we could stop and observe the historical markers and sites of interest. The flattened fauna was quite rich. If you are excited over road kill copperhead and armadillo, being bored is a non issue. The mixed pine-hardwood forest was alive with birds and other life that kept us engaged. We saw only a handful of self supported riders over the length of the route. Our costs staying at elegant B&Bs were about a third of an organized tour. We cooked in and ate out in about equal proportions. It was an amazing trip. Hanging out for a couple days in Baton Rouge at the end was a nice way to unwind from the trip.

Last edited by Gyro_T; 11-12-18 at 09:59 PM.
Old 11-11-18, 02:05 PM
Gyro_T

Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
I was in Jackson MS a few weeks back on business and rode a little of the Trace in the evenings. It is definitely on my to do list.
Did you blog it? I like living vicariously through others.
I decided not to blog this time. Just a Google photo album.
Old 11-13-18, 10:44 AM
Gyro_T

Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by blowboat
Sounds like an awesome trip! I've been wateching videos and doing some reading on the Trace. Hope to tackle it in a couple of years.
It occurred to me that I should mention our impressions of overall safety. There are guidelines for motorists with regard to the cyclists, however we observed many cases of not strictly adhering to them. The shoulder is in general very narrow, there are many areas of dappled shadows on the road. The wearing of high visibility colors and a bright daytime tail light are strongly recommended.
Old 11-21-18, 03:18 PM
snappergrass

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I was riding with Adventure Cycling on the trace from 10/29-11/4, South to North, might have passed you along the way. Couple cold nights and some rain, but otherwise a nice ride. It looked like it would be pretty easy to set up your own Inn to Inn ride there except for the section from Natchez to Jackson where there's not a lot in between.
Old 11-21-18, 08:08 PM
JoeyBike
20+mph Commuter

Originally Posted by snappergrass
I was riding with Adventure Cycling on the trace from 10/29-11/4, South to North, might have passed you along the way. Couple cold nights and some rain, but otherwise a nice ride. It looked like it would be pretty easy to set up your own Inn to Inn ride there except for the section from Natchez to Jackson where there's not a lot in between.
Port Gibson is the place you want. Just a few easy miles off the NTP. Just about half way from Natchez to Jackson. Cheers!
Old 11-25-18, 08:54 PM
Gyro_T

Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by JoeyBike
Port Gibson is the place you want. Just a few easy miles off the NTP. Just about half way from Natchez to Jackson. Cheers!
Yes, we saw the Adventure Cycling group and stopped and chatted with the leader at the van! Too fast paced for us.. Sorry I didn't know or I would of waved

We stayed at Isabella B&B in Port Gibson. Sorry I did not scope out the bayous in Port Gibson with a spot light that night. I hear they catch gators there. That would have topped off the trip for me. The one place we found a gap was between Houston and Kosciusko. We stayed in a motel in Mathiston. It was pretty rough but we made it work. We really enjoyed to county roads going to and from the towns along the NTP.
Old 11-26-18, 03:18 PM
WaveyGravey

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 128 Post(s)
Liked 114 Times in 79 Posts
I'm glad I stumbled upon this post. I mentioned my desire to travel this exact same route in another section of this forum but never got a response. I was traveling from Oxford, MS by car and got on the Trace near Tupelo. Drove up a way and stopped at a visitors center. Got a bunch of literature.

I want to travel from Nashville down to Tupelo.

I am anxious to know the stops you made, where you stayed, ate etc. I am not a camper so I would like to plan for hotel/motel or BB.

Thanks
Old 11-27-18, 10:57 AM
JoeyBike
20+mph Commuter

Originally Posted by WaveyGravey
I'm glad I stumbled upon this post. I mentioned my desire to travel this exact same route in another section of this forum but never got a response. I was traveling from Oxford, MS by car and got on the Trace near Tupelo. Drove up a way and stopped at a visitors center. Got a bunch of literature.

I am anxious to know the stops you made, where you stayed, ate etc. I am not a camper so I would like to plan for hotel/motel or BB.

Thanks
Or you could purchase detailed bike maps from Adventure Cyclist or the NTP store. They list every store, campground, eatery, hotel, motel, hostel, B&B near the route. This is especially important because there are no billboards allowed on the Trace or advertisements of any type. And you can't see much from the Trace itself. So you really need a map anyway.
Old 12-03-18, 04:56 PM
Gyro_T

Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Our Itinerary

I would be happy to send you an Excel spreadsheet of our stays. Just drop me a personal message and I will attach my itinerary with some notes regarding the places we stayed.

Originally Posted by WaveyGravey

Thanks
Old 12-06-18, 10:28 PM
DropBarFan

Bikes: 2013 Surly Disc Trucker, 2004 Novara Randonee , old fixie , etc

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 671 Post(s)
Liked 49 Times in 43 Posts
Pretty good luck with the weather I think, considering this year's weather patterns. Up in mid-Atlantic it got chilly right when rain started to slack off.
Old 12-08-18, 10:26 PM
Gyro_T

Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Maps and Services

Originally Posted by DropBarFan
Pretty good luck with the weather I think, considering this year's weather patterns. Up in mid-Atlantic it got chilly right when rain started to slack off.
Can't complain too much about three days of rain. Only two days arrived at our stay soaked

The Park Service maps are good, plus they will send you a list where services are at the respective mileposts. Check out https://www.nps.gov/natr/planyourvisit/maps.htm