Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Rhine Cycle Route questions

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-18, 06:02 AM
luisfilho.lopes

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi everyone!

I'm from Brazil and I'm intended to ride the whole Rhine Cycle Route from Andermatt to Hoek van Holland (and then to Amsterdam - really need suggestion about this part!). I'll be in the region from June, 1st to 19th and I'm planning to ride around 80km per day, letting 2 or 3 days of buffer for phisical or climatic eventualities.

My great concern is about to take my bike (and the rest of my "baggage") to Europe. Due the costs to dispatch the bike, I thougth about to rent a bike or even buy one in Zurich.

Firstly, does anyone know about any store/service that hires bike and allow to take it in Zurich and drop it in the Netherlands (Roterdam or Amsterdam)? In other way, does anyone can sugest an online (cheap) store that deliver the bike in an specific place, like in an train station (Andermatt would be the best one) or even a phisical good place to buy a bike around Zurich?

Besides the concern about the bike, I'd like to know from you some suggestions and tips about the route, like 'what to take', 'where to stay' (to camp or to stay in B&B, hostels etc), about the weather... Important to mention is that will be my first great bicycle touring and any tip will be very welcome!

Thank you for your attention!

Luis Fernando.
Old 11-10-18, 01:55 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
I wing it , this was pre internet I Bought Paper Maps ...
When Leaving Basel, CH, I rode the gravel road atop the riverbank levee,
north for many hours,
stopping to enjoy a glass of Schnapps, when offered by another cyclist ..

House holder had a picnic bench, rest stop, and a drink sales opportunity ,
we enjoyed ..

Veered off that path when it was blocked by a Exercise using a M1 battle tank,
blocking the road..

Go to the Source;
Look up all the towns along your route, they will have websites for tourists..
that did not exist in 1988..

Old 11-10-18, 06:52 PM
Machka 
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Quoted: 3203 Post(s)
Liked 596 Times in 329 Posts
We brought our own bicycles and mainly stayed in hotels but occasionally campgrounds.

Charlene Barach (Machka) - 2012 Round the World Tour

Scroll past the header in the link above for the story of our trip.
Old 11-11-18, 09:21 AM
gauvins

Bikes: Custom built LHT & Troll

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 838 Post(s)
Liked 149 Times in 106 Posts
Originally Posted by luisfilho.lopes
Hi everyone!

I'm from Brazil [...]

My great concern is about to take my bike (and the rest of my "baggage") to Europe. Due the costs to dispatch the bike, I thougth about to rent a bike or even buy one in Zurich.

Luis Fernando.
AFAIK, bikes fly free of charge on Swiss and Lufthansa. Probably a much better option than renting.

Wrt to your itinerary, the Rhine cycle route is one of the most popular in Germany, very well marked and with plenty of opportunités to stop, either camping or other accommodations.

Endpoints logistics depends on your preferences and circumstances. We tend to prefer direct flights, to ride out/in the airports, and will either rent a van or take the train to close open loops.

In your case, you'll have to figure the best way to pack your bike, especially for the return leg. We use padded flight bags that we carry on our rear racks if we ride open loops with limited forwarding options. We tend to prefer closing the loop and will have left flight bags in storage at an Airbnb/hotel where we'll spend the first and last nights.
Old 11-11-18, 09:47 AM
Bill Abbey

Bikes: CoMotion Tandem (Rohloff), Surley LHT,, Bike Friday, Specialized Vado

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Take your bike. It may fly free. Check out Crazyguyonabike.com for your list and many other ideas. Do not plan on cooking as there is no need. Take the train where you need. They are reasonable and everywhere. Switzerland is expensive and Amsterdam can be. I found the Tourist Information in most towns provided considerable help in locating rooms and services. No cost for this service. There is a reason riding the Rhine and Mosel May be the most heavily bicycle tour route in the world. Have fun. You might also check out Ride with GPS for route information.
Old 11-11-18, 10:48 AM
Doug64

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1182 Post(s)
Liked 833 Times in 435 Posts
We've ridden on the Rhine three times as part of longer routes; from Basal to Amsterdam, from Mainz to Cologne, and from Mulhouse, France to Colonge. IMO the west side is the most picturesque, and the actual riding is more relaxed.

Last edited by Doug64; 11-11-18 at 08:51 PM.
Old 11-11-18, 02:17 PM
alias5000

Bikes: HP Velotechnik Streetmachine GTE, 2015 Devinci Silverstone SL4, 2012 Cannondale Road Tandem 2, Circe Morpheus, 2021 Rose Backroad, 2017 Devinci Hatchet

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 181 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 12 Posts
As for Strasbourg to Karlsruhe, stick to the french (west) side, it's in a better condition and nicer. I suspect that this also applies to south of Strasbourg, but I haven't been there, yet.
Old 11-11-18, 03:10 PM
alias5000

Bikes: HP Velotechnik Streetmachine GTE, 2015 Devinci Silverstone SL4, 2012 Cannondale Road Tandem 2, Circe Morpheus, 2021 Rose Backroad, 2017 Devinci Hatchet

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 181 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 12 Posts
Originally Posted by Machka
We brought our own bicycles and mainly stayed in hotels but occasionally campgrounds.

Charlene Barach (Machka) - 2012 Round the World Tour

Scroll past the header in the link above for the story of our trip.
Machka, thanks for linking your story. We are considering touring from about Tübingen (SW Germany) towards Utrecht (Netherlands) next year on a tandem. I was considering following the Rhine for quite a bit, but your logs confirm that it's not worth doing so north of Mainz/Koblenz. Maybe I'll look more into France, Luxembourg, Belgium and the Netherlands rather than strictly sticking to the Rhine.

Last edited by alias5000; 11-11-18 at 03:17 PM.
Old 11-11-18, 08:23 PM
Doug64

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1182 Post(s)
Liked 833 Times in 435 Posts
IMO the best section of the Rhine is from Mainz to Cologne. There is still some nice riding north of Koblenz.

North of Koblenz- We were actually riding north on the Rhine, but I wanted a head on shot of my wife with the church in the background, so I asked her to turn around and ride toward me.

Cologne

Last edited by Doug64; 11-11-18 at 08:38 PM.