Notices
Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) This has to be the most physically intense sport ever invented. It's high speed bicycle racing on a short off road course or riding the off pavement rides on gravel like : "Unbound Gravel". We also have a dedicated Racing forum for the Cyclocross Hard Core Racers.

A Versatile Bag

Old 11-18-18, 07:09 AM
Noonievut

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 285 Post(s)
Liked 254 Times in 127 Posts
A Versatile Bag

I’m looking for recommendations for a second bikepacking-style bag to serve two purposes.

When doing 2-4 day gravel/mixed surface rides (no cooking, staying in B&B) I use a 15L seat bag to carry clothes, toiletries, etc. I can use a little more room for longer mini tours or when in bad/cold weather to carry additional layers.

And when doing all-day rides I can use storage space for more food or additional layers.

I’m thinking of either a small handlebar bag, or 1/2 frame bag (like the Tangle).

Interested to hear what you use for similar purposes!

Old 11-18-18, 08:15 AM
wheelsmcgee

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 33 Posts
I don’t do overnighters, but like to bring plenty of tools/snacks/fluid on long rides in remote locations. I have a roll top saddle/bike packing bag that has plenty of capacity, but didn’t like it for my purposes (kind of awkward to get things in and out of frequently when on the road...I’d think it’d be much better for infrequently needed items like clothes and toiletries, as you use).

I now mostly use a half frame bag to hold my gear. Mine is an Acepac, which I bought because it seemed sturdy and a decent price, and I found it at the LBS so I was able to test fit it in the triangle. The advantage with that particular bag was that on my bike, the fit was perfect in that i could still hold my two water bottles underneath, snugly. In fact, the fit is snug in a good way...the bottom gusset of the bag hugs the mouthpieces of my water bottles, helping keep off dust. The bag has been great, has plenty of room for anything I’ll need...easy to access while riding.
Old 11-18-18, 08:52 AM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Quoted: 6844 Post(s)
Liked 736 Times in 469 Posts
Apidura.

https://www.apidura.com/

They are less complex than the Revelate bags and weigh less. Five day shipping from London to Atlanta.

I own one of their small frame bags for carrying a thermos in winter or extra gear when I'm out in the middle of nowhere.

Old 11-18-18, 10:17 AM
Spoonrobot 

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 1210 Post(s)
Liked 167 Times in 107 Posts
I love a half frame bag. Easy access while riding, can hold quite a bit of stuff when packed thoughtfully and essentially no effect on handling or ride feel. I use mine in lieu of a saddlebag so it's generally full enough that once the weather gets cold I add a handlebar bag+rack to hold the more bulky clothing needed for the 30 degree swings from day/night.

Are you planning on a handlebar bag+fork mounted rack or a rackless bag? I explored rackless bags and was not happy with the appearance and mounting systems for most (heavy and long-term durability did not seem high). Some of the smaller cylinder bags (like this, but there are a ton of manufacturers) look good but expensive for not a lot of storage. I do like a handlebar bag just because it can often be more versatile for unexpected cargo - easy to strap a six pack, bottle of wine or firewood to the bag when needed. But on gravel and dirt it's often another point of failure as well. Framebag is essentially failureproof as even if a strap or two break (very rare) it will remain functional and can often be fixed with a bit of tape.

Try the half frame bag since it's so simple to set-up and if you don't like it resale value is very good or if you buy from REI you can return easily.

Mine will hold:
  • 2x650b tubes & tire levers
  • Pocket rain jacket
  • Toolkit - M19 multitool, PS4 multitool, small pocket knife, tubeless patch kit, lighter, co2 inflator, chapstick, spare quicklink, 2xnitrile gloves, paper towel, ziplock bag
  • Wool pullover
  • RUSA stuff - reflective vest & ankle bands
  • iPhone
  • 4 clifbars
  • 2 gels
  • Couple zip ties, section of gorilla tape, tire boot, some pocket change
  • some other stuff I forgot
Old 11-19-18, 03:38 PM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5219 Post(s)
Liked 3,564 Times in 2,331 Posts
fwiw, while it won't do what you are looking for, you might enjoy having a mountain feed bag. been using one for day trips & I think it's really handy for all kinds of stuff including actual food

Old 11-21-18, 04:32 AM
pbass

Bikes: 2016 Surly Cross Check, 2019 Kona Rove ST

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 284 Post(s)
Liked 313 Times in 211 Posts
I use a Revelate Pika saddlebag which maxes out at 12 litres, a Mountain Feed bag, and a small Banjo Bros Frame bag (which is probably the smallest one out there, but on my small bike frame many others don't work out well.). Between these three I can fit a surprising amount of stuff, certainly enough for a trip like you describe.
Old 11-21-18, 07:57 AM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Quoted: 6844 Post(s)
Liked 736 Times in 469 Posts
I might try one of those feed bags for longer rides.
Old 11-21-18, 08:24 AM
ksryder

Bikes: yes

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1281 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 329 Posts
Personal preference is a handlebar bag, I just don't like how frame bags can get overstuffed and my knees rub. Also handlebar bags are a bit easier to access. Downside is you really need a decaleur or rack or something so it doesn't flop around so much.

+1 on the mountain feed bag (or any of the dozen similar bags). Good for snacks or easy way to carry an extra bottle.
Old 11-21-18, 01:56 PM
ericzamora
junior

Bikes: 2020 Surly ECR / 2018 Norco Search XR steel gravel bike with GRX / 1983 Bianchi Campione D'Italia / Gary Fisher Wingra / Motobecane Nomade mixte (daughter's)

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 11 Posts
At the moment, I have a small Wolf Tooth B-RAD rolltop bag underneath my down tube for an extra tube, levers, small multi-tool

And a Lone Peak Wedgie half frame bag for everything else ($35). iPhone, wallet/ID, cashola, snacks, etc.

Just last weekend, I added an 8-liter Sea to Summit roll-top bag to the fork with a Blackburn rack for carrying arm warmers, a cycling jacket, even a small first-aid kit.

I'm still formulating the system, but on its own, the Lone Peak frame bag holds everything i need or want for daily rides.
https://lonepeakpacks.com/index.php/...cks/fb110.html

i AM interested in a front bag at some point. That Revelate Egress seems like a nice start, adding a Revelate Harness later, if i begin doing some light bike packing. That Wanderlust Gear Pinon Pocket looks interesting as well.

eric/fresno, ca.

Last edited by ericzamora; 11-21-18 at 02:00 PM.