Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Best protectant for rust prevention?

Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Best protectant for rust prevention?

Old 11-20-05, 12:34 PM
mark754

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Whats the best stuff to use to prevent rust on bike parts (exposed cables, cable fittings, small steel components, etc.).

WD40? Armorall? Motor oil?

And how often should everything be wiped down, assuming some kind of protectant is used? I usually ride near the ocean, so the bike is somewhat exposed to salt air. All of my other bikes look like crap, but I'd like to keep my new bike looking good.

For a carbon fiber frame, is car wax recommended?

Last edited by mark754; 11-20-05 at 01:04 PM.
Old 11-20-05, 12:41 PM
San Rensho 

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 383 Post(s)
Liked 133 Times in 91 Posts
Any type of petroleum based lube on all non-painted surfaces. WD40 or similar spray is the easiest.
Old 11-20-05, 12:41 PM
sydney

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Keep a vat of cheap olive oil on hand to dip it it. Will lube your chain,and bearings and do wonders for the saddle too. That sheeet seems to be good for most everything,but is said to work best on Italian stuff.
Old 11-20-05, 01:15 PM
Nessism
Banned.

Bikes: Homebuilt steel

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 2193 Post(s)
Liked 425 Times in 337 Posts
Originally Posted by sydney
Keep a vat of cheap olive oil on hand to dip it it. Will lube your chain,and bearings and do wonders for the saddle too. That sheeet seems to be good for most everything,but is said to work best on Italian stuff.
Olive oil is NOT the proper lubricating oil for ANYTHING on a bicycle. It's better than nothing but that's about it.

EDIT: I didn't notice when I replyed that it was Sydney that made the olive oil comments. Clearly he was joking...and I didn't recognize it.

To protect parts from rust, keep them clean and free from salt from sweat. A little WD-40 also won't hurt, particularly if there is water present.

Last edited by Nessism; 11-20-05 at 07:04 PM.
Old 11-20-05, 01:17 PM
2manybikes

Bikes: 2 many

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1266 Post(s)
Liked 323 Times in 169 Posts
Originally Posted by sydney
What about the garlic and the butter?
Old 11-20-05, 02:02 PM
jsharr
You Know!? For Kids!

Bikes: '05 Trek 1200 / '90 Trek 8000 / '? Falcon Europa

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 20 Posts
Originally Posted by Nessism
Olive oil is NOT the proper lubricating oil for ANYTHING on a bicycle. It's better than nothing but that's about it.

To protect parts from rust, keep them clean and free from salt from sweat. A little WD-40 also won't hurt, particularly if there is water present.
Me thinks that Sydney was being a bit "campy" with his olive oil suggestion. And if you are trekking on your bike, olive oil is the perfect lubricant for your camp skillet prior to frying ups some sausages.
Old 11-20-05, 03:29 PM
roccobike
Bike Junkie

Location: South of Raleigh, North of New Hill, East of Harris Lake, NC

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Specialized Roubaix, Giant OCR-C, Specialized Stumpjumper FSR, Stumpjumper Comp, 88 & 92Nishiki Ariel, 87 Centurion Ironman, 92 Paramount, 84 Nishiki Medalist

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked 37 Times in 27 Posts
I like to use car wax on surfaces I'm protecting from rust. I keep my WD-40 away from my bikes. Being Italian, I keep my Olive Oil in the house where it belongs, in the kitchen. (I wish I could afford an Italian bike.)
Old 11-20-05, 04:26 PM
gm1230126
barnfullagts

Bikes: GT BI Ti/BI Steel - Edge Ti and Steel Xizang Ti and Psyclone Steel

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
WD-40 doesn't have any staying power. It's good for a few days and after that i't useless. When I wrenched we always used the LPS-2 product instead of WD-40. It sprays out a little heavier. Not so thin
Old 11-20-05, 07:11 PM
jemoryl

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by 2manybikes
What about the garlic and the butter?
This is better for French bikes....
Old 11-20-05, 07:51 PM
mark754

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I did a little searching and Boeshield sounds like a good product for rust and corrosion protection. It makes a good chain lube as well. It was developed for Boeing and leaves a thin coat of wax on surfaces.
Sears sells it.

LPS-2 also sounds good, but it's a wet lube, which will attract dirt (Boeshield is dry). Since I live in sunny So Cal, I'll go with Boeshield.
Old 11-21-05, 03:50 AM
MichaelW

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
I used a steel bike in a coastal town for 5 years. I sprayed inside the steel tubes with WD40 and they stayed bright and shiny. Not to be done if your BB has replaceable bearings but it works for a sealed Shimano cartridge style.
For the outside, WD40 and oil washes away too quickly.
Grease attracts too much dirt so should be used on metal-metal contacts (eg threads) only.
I protect exposed metal using wax. Pretty much any wax will do, car wax, furniture polish. All exposed cables, bolts and the frame get cleaned and wiped. Keep away from rims.
Old 11-21-05, 10:52 AM
seely
The Rabbi

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
On cables and in my frames I generally use Boeshield T9. It was made to prevent corrosion on airplanes, and leaves a nice waxy residue that stays on forever. Works great as a chain lube too.
Old 11-21-05, 12:37 PM
mark754

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm going to try the Boeshield T-9. On their website, they also sell a "Boeshield Bike Lube" in a smaller bottle. Do you know if it's the same stuff (T-9) sold in the larger containers, or if it's a different product specifically for bikes?
Old 11-21-05, 01:50 PM
Metaluna

Bikes: Niner RLT 9 RDO, Gunnar Sport, Soma Saga, Workswell WCBR-146

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 19 Posts
This thread from a few days ago lists a few additional alternatives. I have some LPS-3 which seems to work okay so far.

For me, a bigger issue is how to apply it effectively to ensure full coverage. Seems like the seat tube is about the only place where you have relatively open access. Just about everywhere else, you are spraying blind through vent holes and hoping you are coating everything.

Last edited by Metaluna; 11-21-05 at 01:58 PM.
Old 11-21-05, 02:44 PM
2_i 

Bikes: Trek 730 (quad), 720 & 830, Bike Friday NWT, Brompton M36R & M6R, Dahon HAT060 & HT060, ...

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 840 Post(s)
Liked 336 Times in 251 Posts
Originally Posted by mark754
I'm going to try the Boeshield T-9. On their website, they also sell a "Boeshield Bike Lube" in a smaller bottle. Do you know if it's the same stuff (T-9) sold in the larger containers, or if it's a different product specifically for bikes?
It is the same. I've got myself a gallon from an aircraft supplier and use it liberally as protectant and lubricator. My steel-framed bike spends most time outside irrespectively of weather but does great thanks to Boeshield. Using stainless steel screws wherever possible helps too.
Old 11-21-05, 02:50 PM
jscott

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
i use Silicon grease. Apply lightly and wipe of so that just a thin film remains. Next week wipe this off and reapply. Thin film only please.
Old 05-17-14, 01:35 PM
GzyOnline

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hi, I'm looking for a product that is good for rust protection/prevention? I live 1/2 mile from the salty waters of the San Francisco Bay, I just bought a new bike, and the space in my apartment is small, so I'd like to leave my bike out on the balcony. My fiance's older, less expensive bike has been stored on the balcony for 2 months, and I've noticed rust has built up on the handle bars, crankshaft, and other steel parts.. No 100% sure the rust was a result of it sitting out on the balcony, it was previously stored for months in a garage not close to any salt water.. I would like to keep storing the bikes out on the balcony without this rust from building.

-- i've submitted this question to Boeshield regarding their T-9 product since I didn't see "rust protectant or rust prevention" listed as a feature or benefit of the product. Can anyone else advise to a product that will fit my needs? Thanks!
Old 05-17-14, 01:40 PM
AnkleWork

Bikes: old clunker

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 684 Post(s)
Liked 105 Times in 83 Posts
8.5 years.
Old 05-17-14, 01:41 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Paint works well, even on zombie rust.
Old 06-18-14, 09:09 AM
tanuihu

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mark754
Whats the best stuff to use to prevent rust on bike parts (exposed cables, cable fittings, small steel components, etc.).

WD40? Armorall? Motor oil?

And how often should everything be wiped down, assuming some kind of protectant is used? I usually ride near the ocean, so the bike is somewhat exposed to salt air. All of my other bikes look like crap, but I'd like to keep my new bike looking good.

For a carbon fiber frame, is car wax recommended?
Try bike frame and parts protectant, there are several good ones can be found on Amazon. Spray protectant might be easy to use, but does not last long.
Old 06-18-14, 10:00 AM
2_i 

Bikes: Trek 730 (quad), 720 & 830, Bike Friday NWT, Brompton M36R & M6R, Dahon HAT060 & HT060, ...

You can find research results e.g. here. I mix T-9 with LPS 3 and ACF 50.
Old 06-18-14, 03:05 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Quoted: 4191 Post(s)
Liked 3,835 Times in 2,293 Posts
In the end I have found that your personal touch is the best long term rust management. Sure products can be sprayed, dripped and brushed on but all will break down and or rub off. It always comes down to your cleaning and reestablishing what ever method you chose. Andy.
Old 06-18-14, 03:25 PM
2_i 

Originally Posted by Andrew R Stewart
all will break down and or rub off. It always comes down to your cleaning and reestablishing what ever method you chose.
No, my mixture does none of that, within limits, and I do no cleaning whatsoever and there is no rust practically ever .
Old 06-18-14, 07:38 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Quoted: 4191 Post(s)
Liked 3,835 Times in 2,293 Posts
Originally Posted by 2_i
No, my mixture does none of that, within limits, and I do no cleaning whatsoever and there is no rust practically ever .
I wonder what your experience would be if you lived in a high salt location like Santa Cruz or Cleveland. People far smarter and greedy then us have tried to solve this problems for hundreds of years and yet we're still asking the same questions. If we had a real answer then the US Navy could save millions each year on ship maintenance. Andy.
Old 06-18-14, 08:52 PM
2_i 

Originally Posted by Andrew R Stewart
I wonder what your experience would be if you lived in a high salt location like Santa Cruz or Cleveland.
I ride the whole winter with bike covered in slush saturated with salt dispensed on the roads. My mixture evolved over time until I got to the stage where I could quit worrying about corrosion.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.