Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Friendly reminder: Never shop with Bikesomewhere.com

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Friendly reminder: Never shop with Bikesomewhere.com

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-11, 06:24 PM
rooftest
Despite all my rage, I am

Bikes: LeMond Zurich, Colnago C-50

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Well, that's the drawback of not going to the LBS - you can't have it in your hands immediately.

A 17 day delay is a pain, but it's really not worth getting all worked up over. If you do refuse delivery and dispute the charge with your cc company, you'll have crossed the line over to behaving like a complete D bag.
Old 04-21-11, 06:29 PM
Scooper
Decrepit Member

Bikes: Waterford 953 RS-22, several Paramounts

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 634 Post(s)
Liked 69 Times in 57 Posts
Originally Posted by MegaTom
I don't know that I would refuse shipment at this point (mainly because that would further hold things up), BUT.....

2 weeks is a bit long for them to ship unless the merchant said upfront that it was a special order or something and would take extra time to post. And the OP did ask them to cancel the order 3 days prior to them charging his credit card. I can forgive slow shipping in many cases, but if a merchant charges my credit card 3 days after I told them not to do that.... well, there's no way that anyone can convince me that I'm in the wrong for disputing that charge.

When I buy wheels from Psimet, I know I'm gonna wait and I'm totally cool with that because I know they are being built to order. When I order something from Amazon or eBay, I am making that purchase on the premise that the item is on hand and ready to ship unless I am told otherwise up front.
The three days between the OP's request to cancel the order and the charge on his card doesn't pass the smell test to me. He claims to have e-mailed the vendor sometime on Tuesday asking where his package was, and sometime on Wednesday (yesterday) they replied that "Your package is due to ship out today!"

The first thing this morning he posts the original post in this thread saying his card was charged. Charges to his card submitted in a batch file at the close of business yesterday (Wednesday) by the merchant's terminal to his card processor was processed overnight last night through the automated clearing house (ACH) and the debit (from yesterday) was posted to the cardholder's account overnight last night.

Something is fishy.

FWIW, I'd never heard of Bikesomewhere.com until I read this thread this morning, but as a retired Visa International employee I have some knowledge about how credit card charges are processed.

my bikes

Science doesn't care what you believe.
Old 04-21-11, 07:28 PM
gregf83 

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1186 Post(s)
Liked 289 Times in 177 Posts
Originally Posted by Pukeskywalker
Bikesomewhere did not process the order until a day after I contacted them about the lateness - 17 days after the order was placed. 17 days was the tail end of the estimated delivery dates I was given.
Most of their stuff show shipping is usually within 3 days. It sounds like the item you ordered had a larger deliver window. I still don't see the problem, particularly if they shipped within their original estimated delivery date.
Old 04-21-11, 07:58 PM
kvnrvn

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The OP is totally correct to be upset. Order was placed, product never shipped, order canceled, OP charged. Don't let them get away with crappy service. I've never ordered anything that took more than a few days to ship (without some kind of notice).

Psimet has a terrible attitude for customer service. I'd never buy anything from him based on the posts in this thread. The customer is always right is a pretty good rule to live by.
Old 04-21-11, 08:05 PM
Guitarrick

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
17 days to charge your cc and ship your order is a bit ridiculous. It's 2011, they need to get a move on. If you repeatedly contacted them to cancel and they shipped regardless I'd be flaming them too. Sounds like you're in the right.
Old 04-21-11, 08:33 PM
Velo Gator

Bikes: Cervιlo S2

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 11 Posts
Originally Posted by Guitarrick
17 days to charge your cc and ship your order is a bit ridiculous. It's 2011, they need to get a move on. If you repeatedly contacted them to cancel and they shipped regardless I'd be flaming them too. Sounds like you're in the right.
I agree.

17 days is way too long unless they told you to expect a delay in shipping.
Old 04-21-11, 08:42 PM
merlin55

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
vote with your pocket book. I ordered a road stem for $60 from some nice people in Boulder, at a real shop with real people....they said it would ship today. It was worth paying and extra $10 not to have a headache dealing with some dirt-bag on-line only shop.....the lowest price is not always the best deal
Old 04-21-11, 08:55 PM
tagaproject6

Bikes: Wilier Izoard XP (Record);Cinelli Xperience (Force);Specialized Allez (Rival);Bianchi Via Nirone 7 (Centaur); Colnago AC-R Disc;Colnago V1r Limited Edition;De Rosa King 3 Limited(Force 22);DeRosa Merak(Red):Pinarello Dogma 65.1 Hydro(Di2)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 551 Post(s)
Liked 277 Times in 145 Posts
I believe bikesomewhere is a dropshipping business. I ordered from them before and they took their sweet time with the correspondence. Delivery took about 3 weeks and there was no information on the status of my order. An order from PBK came faster. So, I probably won't be doing business with them anytime soon.
Old 04-21-11, 09:49 PM
Nachoman
well hello there

Bikes: Bill Holland (Road-Ti), Fuji Roubaix Pro (back-up), Bike Friday (folder), Co-Motion (tandem) & Trek 750 (hybrid)

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 503 Post(s)
Liked 336 Times in 206 Posts
I think that any company should be able to ship an internet order within a few days, unless stated otherwise. A 17 day delay sounds a bit excessive.

Two wheels good. Four wheels bad.
Old 04-21-11, 10:23 PM
learnmedia
Go, Dog. Go!

Bikes: '09 Fuji Team; '11 PedalForce QS3

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My one experience with Bikesomewhere was on the up and up. I even had to get an RMA for an item exchange (CaneCreek IS-8 to IS-8i). Yes, I too believe they drop ship and so they don't ship as promptly as some other vendors. My order shipped six days after placing the order (comparatively, PBK items are regularly delivered from the UK in six days!). Via ground shipping, I received the item six days after that. Also, a reply to my email requesting the RMA came within 24 hours. So as far as my transaction went, I rate their service as solid. Both Ellie and Alex responded promptly and courteously.

OP, did you try calling them? I for one would not have left the order cancellation solely up to email. I certainly would have called if I had not received a return email within a day.
Old 04-22-11, 05:50 AM
himespau 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 4237 Post(s)
Liked 2,949 Times in 1,808 Posts
what is drop shipping?
Old 04-22-11, 06:55 AM
Miller2

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
[QUOTE=Velo Gator;12539941]I agree.

17 days is way too long unless they told you to expect a delay in shipping.[/QUOTE]

Agreed, however, I have ordered from them in the past and not had an issue. Sounds like a rare incident. OP is justifiably annoyed.
Old 04-22-11, 07:12 AM
giantcfr1
Ha ha ha ha ha

Bikes: 2004 ORBEA Mitis2 Plus Carbon, 2007 Cannondale Bad Boy Si Disc, 2012 Trek Gary Fisher Collection Marlin WSD 29er Aldi Big Box (Polygon) 650b

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by himespau
what is drop shipping?
Here you go... https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Drop_shipping
Old 04-22-11, 08:01 AM
mulveyr 

Bikes: Specialized Diverge, Box Dog Pelican, 1991 Cannondale tandem

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Psimet2001
Now let's cut him some slack. Bike parts iz important biznus stuffz. Waiting too longz fur partz makz riderz slowr. Wind Tunnelz Prove it.

While I agree that the slow shipping is not unreasonable, BikeSomewhere is still awful.

I ordered two Thule rooftop racks from them last year. They showed up in about two weeks - not a problem.

What was a problem was that they were very clearly used racks. And used *hard* - paint worn off at contact points with the bikes, and neither one had enough parts to actually be usable. One box even contained three dozen headset nuts for quill stems, for some reason.

I emailed them. No response. Called them. No answer. Did this for three business days.

Thankfully, I had bought from their Amazon storefront. I documented my issues with BikeSomewhere, and Amazon refunded all of my money within two days of my contact with them.

The kicker? I emailed Bikesomewhere and told them they were welcome to have their racks back if they provided a prepaid return shipping label. They didn't even respond to that.
Old 04-22-11, 09:50 AM
oilman_15106

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Psimet2001
Thank you for making it more expensive to sell bike parts.
I think the problem is that many "online" sellers are not stocking inventory just listing massive inventory that they don't really have. Even many established ebay sellers are doing the same. Get the order then go to Quality or the distributor to fulfill the order.

I have made it my personal policy to call the seller and confirm that the item I need is actually in stock and when it will be shipped after the order is placed. You would be surprised how many respond that they don't have the item in stock. When asked why it is listed on their site? The sound of silence. I understand the cost of carrying inventory but many internet sellers present themselves as having grand inventory but in reality it is a grand illusion.
Old 04-22-11, 10:21 AM
55/Rad
Former Hoarder

Bikes: Seven Axiom, Felt Z1, Dave Moulton Fuso

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by oilman_15106
You would be surprised how many respond that they don't have the item in stock. When asked why it is listed on their site? The sound of silence.
You'd think that at least one of those companies would have an answer to the question...even if they were lying. You must be the only one to have ever asked.
Old 04-22-11, 10:23 AM
TrekFix

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I placed an order with them last year and propmtly cancelled it. Hadn't shipped in the time they specified...

I looked up reviews for the company, and most all were bad. Most people had issues with delayed or no shipping and receiving wrong/damaged items. This is not the type of company I want to do business with. If they dropship then, they need to state the shipping delay to customers somewhere on the site.

I will never order from them.
Old 04-22-11, 10:54 AM
ladyraestewart

Bikes: Trek Lexi

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
This is the reason I always look to shop locally and are always my first choice in everything. A hundred years ago when I was a child, my grandfather would buy gas at the locally owned station even though the nationally owned one was cheaper. When I asked him why he said, "one day something will happen like a dead battery in the middle of winter. When all I need is a jump, who do you think will be more willing to help, the business owned by who knows who or the business owned by the guy who lives in this town and who's business depends on others who live in this town?"
Old 04-22-11, 07:23 PM
Rowan

Mentioned: 125 Post(s)
Quoted: 1454 Post(s)
Liked 85 Times in 40 Posts
Originally Posted by oilman_15106
I think the problem is that many "online" sellers are not stocking inventory just listing massive inventory that they don't really have. Even many established ebay sellers are doing the same. Get the order then go to Quality or the distributor to fulfill the order.

I have made it my personal policy to call the seller and confirm that the item I need is actually in stock and when it will be shipped after the order is placed. You would be surprised how many respond that they don't have the item in stock. When asked why it is listed on their site? The sound of silence. I understand the cost of carrying inventory but many internet sellers present themselves as having grand inventory but in reality it is a grand illusion.
I'e just had a bad experience here in Australia with a bricks-and-mortar LBS that has an e-store. Big fail on the e-store, even though their real shop is great. I wanted handlebars as listed, but didn't get any response for around 10 days. When I inquired, I found it still had to come from the distributor. So, yes, with these sorts of places, an inquiry before ordering re stock status is in order.

Sometimes drop shipping does work well, and I know that Velocity Wheels here operates like that -- place the order with the bike shop who gets the commission, and Velocity sends direct to the buyer.

Often ebay sellers will create the illusion that they are local, but in fact the item is sent from somewhere in Asia. It may well be how bikesomewhere operates. It does create angst with a buyer when the items obviously have been posted offshore, and opens questions about whether the item is genuine or a knock-off of poorer quality.

On the other hand, at the same time I was dealing with the poor e-store, I had a great experience with a local ebay seller who had my bibs-and-bobs order in my hands in two days -- not a bad effort considering the local postal service and my rural location.
Old 04-22-11, 07:26 PM
Rowan

Mentioned: 125 Post(s)
Quoted: 1454 Post(s)
Liked 85 Times in 40 Posts
Originally Posted by ladyraestewart
This is the reason I always look to shop locally and are always my first choice in everything. A hundred years ago when I was a child, my grandfather would buy gas at the locally owned station even though the nationally owned one was cheaper. When I asked him why he said, "one day something will happen like a dead battery in the middle of winter. When all I need is a jump, who do you think will be more willing to help, the business owned by who knows who or the business owned by the guy who lives in this town and who's business depends on others who live in this town?"
This outlook is almost irrelevant these days. I live in a small town with locally owned businesses, and a call-out like you suggest is unlikely to happen. In fact, with no competition, the local business owners gouge the locals like you wouldn't believe.
Old 04-22-11, 10:00 PM
mtalinm

Bikes: 2009 Trek Soho

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I also had a bad experience with bikesomewhere, took them longer than promised to ship. they ignored emails and didn't respond until i called their store

I really can't agree with those who say "it's only 17 days, chill"