Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

1981 Miyata Grand Touring 1000

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

1981 Miyata Grand Touring 1000

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-20, 03:28 PM
Salamandrine 

Bikes: 78 Masi Criterium, 68 PX10, 2016 Mercian King of Mercia, Rivendell Clem Smith Jr

Mentioned: 120 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2317 Post(s)
Liked 597 Times in 430 Posts
Originally Posted by BikeWonder
I have an '82.
I switched from 27 inch to 700c a while back. It looks like the stays were spread to 126mm by the previous owner.
I had no issues doing the wheel conversion. I will note the 40 spoke rear wheel is strong, but heavy. However, I have no doubt that the wheel will last a long time! The bike goes well with brown and silver accents, much like mine. Only downside is the lack of braze-ons, which ultimately may affect the value.
That's a nice one!

Touring bikes of this era are kind of funny. 27" wheels were already an anachronism, as was 120 5 speed. Yet the big manufacturers kept those features on their flagship touring bikes, for the most part. The thinking was when out on the road, you'd be able to get a spare tire etc in any little cowtown, where they wouldn't be cool enough yet to have 700c. A 5 speed rear is slightly stronger and you're less likely to break axles. With a triple in front, it was seen a sufficient number of gears.

You've got plenty of braze ons! Top tube, shifters, BB cable guide, fenders, rack eyelets, and even braze ons for a water bottle!

I had the Univega version of this frame, exact same color and year, so this one brings back some memories. I would have liked to have braze ons for a second bottle too, and I mounted a second cage with clips. At the time the seat tube was where you were expected to put the frame pump. I converted that bike to 700c and respaced the frame to 126 pretty much right away. This also was typical for the time.
Old 05-09-20, 04:24 PM
BikeWonder

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 160 Post(s)
Liked 75 Times in 52 Posts
Originally Posted by Rdrett
beautiful bike. When you say lack of braze-ons are you referring to the shifter levers? Any other braze-ons besides the shifter levers missing?
i thought about putting bar end shifters on like bargo’s bike if I keep it.
It doesn't have the fork braze-on/mounts for a rack. When I bought this one, it came with adapters for the Jim Blackburn lowrider front rack. It also lacks another bottle mount on the seat tube, so an adapter had to be used. Aside from that, it's great!

It originally came with bar end shifters but I switched them out and used them on my Burley tandem.

I won't deny that it shifted a lot better with its original XC Sport triple pulley RD mated to the barcon shifters.
Old 05-09-20, 07:40 PM
USAZorro
Señor Member

Bikes: Mostly English - predominantly Raleighs

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quoted: 1492 Post(s)
Liked 1,096 Times in 642 Posts
Originally Posted by J.Higgins
I've only used them for a 27" to 700c conversion. Most of the downsizing conversions I do lately, I just get a longer-reach brake. The Paul Racer is excellent for that, and you can get them for braze-on bosses. Money well spent imho.
I picked up an '81 for my wife a couple years back. I swapped from 27" to 700c, and it was challenging to find front cantis that would work. It's a smaller sized bike, and other years and sizes might be different, but I'm thinking there's a chance that won't work without a torch.
Old 05-10-20, 08:19 AM
J.Higgins 
2-Wheeled Fool

Bikes: Surly Ogre, Brompton

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1385 Post(s)
Liked 677 Times in 457 Posts
Originally Posted by USAZorro
I picked up an '81 for my wife a couple years back. I swapped from 27" to 700c, and it was challenging to find front cantis that would work. It's a smaller sized bike, and other years and sizes might be different, but I'm thinking there's a chance that won't work without a torch.
Some of the earlier bikes with cantilever brake bosses were totally proprietary to one type of brake arm. Not much room to upgrade to a different canti brake with those. However, there hasn't been a bike that I couldn't convert one way or another (yet). Honestly, if I had too hard of a time, I'd just use longer-reach centerpulls and be done with it.
Old 05-12-20, 12:16 PM
Rdrett

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 9 Posts
I got the bike up and running yesterday.
I put on new tires and tubes, adjusted, lubed and tightened everything up.
It is now rideable and I am happy that it isn’t to big for me or my son to ride.
We still have a lot is work to do to it but it is one step closer.
Old 05-12-20, 04:28 PM
BikeWonder

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 160 Post(s)
Liked 75 Times in 52 Posts
Originally Posted by Rdrett
I got the bike up and running yesterday.
I put on new tires and tubes, adjusted, lubed and tightened everything up.
It is now rideable and I am happy that it isn’t to big for me or my son to ride.
We still have a lot is work to do to it but it is one step closer.
True definition of French fit based on how it looks!
Enjoy it!
Old 05-12-20, 07:16 PM
WireDog

Bikes: '74 Motobecane Nomad, '81 Univega Gran TurismoSpecialized Sirrus

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 3 Posts
What a remarkable find! Good eye!
Old 12-13-20, 10:32 PM
cycledog1

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 43 Times in 19 Posts
nice find, especially an orig grand tourring named 1000. on the canti brakes, the existing dia comps work well adjusted for 700c, heres' mine. completely converted to 9spd dura ace and ultegra compact, dura ace bar ends. dura ace 7700 32h hubs w/mavic open pro's and 32mm's, this ride rocks.

Likes For cycledog1: