Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Poll: Who's had a collision with a car?

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.
View Poll Results: Who's had a collision with a car?
You never have, - not even a close call
10.48%
No actual contact but close enough to get your heart pounding
27.42%
Minor collision only, maybe a couple of bumps and bruises
45.16%
Serious enough to keep you off the bike awhile
11.29%
Very serious, spent some time in a hospital
5.65%
Voters: 124. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-12, 10:33 PM
tjspiel

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 13 Posts

Just wondering how many of us have had collisions and how many were pretty serious.

I wish I would have allowed multiple choice. I've had a few close calls and one minor collision.

My brother recently was injured very seriously, - fractured pelvis. A neighbor of mine was hurt fairly badly a couple of years ago. Needed some pins in his arm.

Last edited by tjspiel; 04-19-12 at 10:42 PM.
Old 04-19-12, 10:44 PM
dynodonn 
Banned

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 1268 Post(s)
Liked 78 Times in 67 Posts
I've never had a collision with a car while riding a bike, and I plan to keep it that way.
Old 04-19-12, 10:49 PM
L.L. Zamenhof

Bikes: Rampar R-One

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I got right-hooked about 4 months into commuting (Jan 2011). It wasn't too bad for me. Front wheel was destroyed, but that was all the damage to the bike. I got a couple scratches on my right hand and left leg. The vehicle got much more damage from me hitting it. Caved in door, busted side mirror, major scratches.

Nothing since, other than a few close calls.
Old 04-19-12, 11:00 PM
jyossarian
SERENITY NOW!!!

Bikes: Haro Vector, IRO Rob Roy, Bianchi Veloce

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Every time I've been hit, it was either by a cabbie or limo driver.

We demand rigidly defined areas of doubt and uncertainty!
Old 04-20-12, 12:04 AM
El Gigante

Bikes: Specialized Crossroads Elite, Specialized Trcross Comp

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I was doored when I was a mere lad many years ago. No damage to car or bike, but my shin hurt like hell where it clipped the side of the open door. Fast forward 30 years, to last month, and I was in a collision with a pedestrian who stepped out in front of me from between two parked cars. He never saw me coming, and I barely had time to get out half a "hey!" before I plowed into him. Neither of us was seriously injured, although I was off the bike for about 3 weeks while all the bumps, bruises, and pulled muscles healed. I didn't heed my own advise that day, (MSTDASY*) and certainly paid the price for letting my guard down.

*Make Sure The Dumb Ass Sees You...
Old 04-20-12, 12:06 AM
though

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
A lot of right hooks and I had two more serius incidents. Luckily never crashed.

One was a car trying to make an U turn to left as I was closing to him. He was moving very slowly, I thought he is checking the road and must have seen me but he continued the turn slowly. I didn't want to swerve left in case there might be coming traffic on my back. So I braked but didn't have enough space. Seeing that I may crash his car I took out my right foot to front and kind of bumped my foot to his left headlamp to stop. Otherwise he might have crashed right into my leg. He looked confused and I continued.

Other was a car parked on the right side of the road. It was a two lane one way road. There were some cars parked on the right lane and one of them suddenly jumped on to the road. I don't know what his rush was but he actually came out of his parked space with his tyres screaming. It was very sudden and I was already next to his rear tyre. I swerved to left hoping there are no cars coming behind and I was almost squeezed to left curb by his car. He didn't even pull his foot from gas pedal, just sped away. I saw him stop at the lights down the road. I catched him there. Stopped right next to him. He doesn't even look at me, he was just staring front. He was a young guy. I knocked on his window to roll his window down. He did and I was so angry I just yelled at him for a minute or so then left the scene before the lights turned green.
Old 04-20-12, 12:32 AM
canyoneagle

Bikes: Vassago Moosknuckle Ti 29+ XTR, 90's Merckx Corsa-01 9sp Record, PROJECT: 1954 Frejus SuperCorsa

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 174 Post(s)
Liked 157 Times in 75 Posts
Many close calls, less so once I started using active lighting day or night.
One collision, back in 1986 on a solo training ride. I T-boned a car that pulled out of a residential parking lot and went up on the hood. My privates got impaled by my stem (my man unit was pierced all the way through, fortunately off center, or it would have been WAY worse). Not pleasant. Thankfully, that was my only impact, and I hope it remains as such. I did get a nice new fork and wheelset out of the deal, though......
Old 04-20-12, 12:43 AM
devianb

Bikes: 2008 Dawes Haymaker 20XX Leader LD515 TotoCycling Road Bike

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 32 Times in 19 Posts
Once. I was 10 riding my bike with no helmet on the sidewalk past an alley when a car was coming out. Car hit my leg and I fell down. Dusted myself off and and went on my way after reassuring the lady driver that I was indeed fine.
Old 04-20-12, 01:12 AM
Digital_Cowboy

Bikes: Specialized Hardrock Mountain (Stolen); Giant Seek 2 (Stolen); Diamondback Ascent mid 1980 - 1997

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by L.L. Zamenhof
I got right-hooked about 4 months into commuting (Jan 2011). It wasn't too bad for me. Front wheel was destroyed, but that was all the damage to the bike. I got a couple scratches on my right hand and left leg. The vehicle got much more damage from me hitting it. Caved in door, busted side mirror, major scratches.

Nothing since, other than a few close calls.
Back in December I was hit head on while I was sitting at a stop sign at a four-way stop. There was a van on my left going straight through the intersection, to my right was a BMW wanting to make a left turn. Instead of waiting for the van to clear the intersection Mr. BMW driver makes his turn short in front of the van and proceeds to turn into my lane.

Like you my front wheel was destroyed in the process, but knock wood I walked away without so much as a scratch. The "fool" claimed not to have "seen" me. Hmm four CatEye Uno's and a Stella 150l (150 Lumen) headlight on my helmet PLUS a reflective vest, and he claims not to have seen me.
Old 04-20-12, 01:15 AM
Digital_Cowboy

Bikes: Specialized Hardrock Mountain (Stolen); Giant Seek 2 (Stolen); Diamondback Ascent mid 1980 - 1997

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by El Gigante
I was doored when I was a mere lad many years ago. No damage to car or bike, but my shin hurt like hell where it clipped the side of the open door. Fast forward 30 years, to last month, and I was in a collision with a pedestrian who stepped out in front of me from between two parked cars. He never saw me coming, and I barely had time to get out half a "hey!" before I plowed into him. Neither of us was seriously injured, although I was off the bike for about 3 weeks while all the bumps, bruises, and pulled muscles healed. I didn't heed my own advise that day, (MSTDASY*) and certainly paid the price for letting my guard down.

*Make Sure The Dumb Ass Sees You...
Thus proving what I've said about how the "door prize" is just one of the dangers that on street, door zone bike lanes pose to cyclists. How many cyclists have to be injured and/or killed before cities/counties/states realize just how dangerous door zone bike lanes are?
Old 04-20-12, 02:10 AM
ben4345
Kitten Legion Master

Bikes: Fuji silhouette, Dawes SST-aL

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Digital_Cowboy
Thus proving what I've said about how the "door prize" is just one of the dangers that on street, door zone bike lanes pose to cyclists. How many cyclists have to be injured and/or killed before cities/counties/states realize just how dangerous door zone bike lanes are?
I don't understand them either. In Portland, you are required to use a bicycle lane if provided. But I am always hugging the far left of that lane just so I can increase my chances of evading that car door.
Old 04-20-12, 03:38 AM
Seb71

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Two minor collisions and one close call. Only the bicycle was damaged (different bicycles).
Old 04-20-12, 03:47 AM
rekmeyata

Bikes: 2020 Masi Giramondo 700c; 2013 Lynskey Peloton; 1992 Giant Rincon; 1989 Dawes needs parts; 1985 Trek 660; 1985 Fuji Club; 1984 Schwinn Voyager; 1984 Miyata 612; 1977 Raleigh Competition GS

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1126 Post(s)
Liked 253 Times in 204 Posts
Car turned right in front of me so she could park, so I took out her side window with my head, which was helmeted, then I was thrown onto the pavement which in turn dislocated my shoulder. But I was riding within 3 days, and that was only because my bike turned into a pretzel and it needed to be replaced.
Old 04-20-12, 04:04 AM
krobinson103

Bikes: Nothing amazing... cheap old 21 speed mtb

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Does being rear ended by a 10 tonne dump truck on a motorcycle count? Crusing along and I had to slow for a cleaning machine and the other lane was blocked by faster traffic. Truck plows into the bike making a heck of mess because he was driving too fast, too close. Insurance sorted out the damages and leathers and armor made sure I was unhurt. If I had been wearing cycling gear.... different story.
Old 04-20-12, 05:48 AM
Steely Dan
born again cyclist

Bikes: I have five of brikes

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 201 Post(s)
Liked 78 Times in 31 Posts
does being hit by a city bus count? If so, then yes.

It was fairly serious because my beloved bike was killed, but I miraculously walled away with some minor cuts, bruises, and fractures - no hospital time, but I was off the bike for about 3 weeks to allow the fractures to heal up.

Last edited by Steely Dan; 04-20-12 at 07:53 AM.
Old 04-20-12, 07:29 AM
ItsJustMe
Señior Member

Bikes: Windsor Fens, Giant Seek 0 (2014, Alfine 8 + discs)

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 446 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
I voted "no actual contact" though the one incident that I had I did have contact but no injuries at all, in fact I wasn't knocked down. I veered enough to mostly avoid contact and just pushed off the front bumper with my gloved hand.
This was in dawn light, fairly bright out but not daytime. I was running a 500 lumen front light with full green reflective gear, the car just pulled out from a "yield" where I had the right-of-way. The driver was actually a guy from work and was pretty shaken up about it. I honestly didn't even stop or get very upset, I just pushed off and when he stopped, I had to put a foot down to steady, then I just kept riding. He caught up about 1/2 mile later with his window down, I didn't know who it was and figured he was going to blame me for existing, but he apologized.
Old 04-20-12, 07:31 AM
kvnrvn

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Left cross two weeks ago. Traveling down a bike lane while traffic in the lane was stopped. A van travelling the opposite direction tried to get through a small gap to turn into a parking lot. He saw me coming and stopped directly in front of me. Couldn't stop in time and rammed the side of his van. Bruised shoulder, no bike damage. Big dent in the side of the van. He probably couldn't see me since the stalled traffic was blocking his view.
Old 04-20-12, 07:35 AM
ItsJustMe
Señior Member

Bikes: Windsor Fens, Giant Seek 0 (2014, Alfine 8 + discs)

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 446 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Digital_Cowboy
The "fool" claimed not to have "seen" me. Hmm four CatEye Uno's and a Stella 150l (150 Lumen) headlight on my helmet PLUS a reflective vest, and he claims not to have seen me.
As I've said many times, "I didn't see you" is not an excuse, it's an admission of being incompetent to operate a vehicle on public roads.
Old 04-20-12, 09:08 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Someone opened the door as I turned the corner after climbing,
[It was San Francisco]
so, .. very little momentum, at the time. '87ish..
Old 04-20-12, 09:37 AM
Andy_K 

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 525 Post(s)
Quoted: 3230 Post(s)
Liked 3,871 Times in 1,439 Posts
I've had one incident with actual contact with a vehicle that actually ended up being fairly minor (just needed a new front wheel and a long conversation with my wife). I had another incident in which I managed to stop before hitting the car that right-hooked me but in the process flipped myself over the handlebars and slammed into the pavement, spraining both elbows pretty badly. I rode home that day, but by dinner time couldn't get food to my mouth without help and ended up being off the bike for about three months while my elbows healed.
Old 04-20-12, 09:49 AM
Andy_K 

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 525 Post(s)
Quoted: 3230 Post(s)
Liked 3,871 Times in 1,439 Posts
Originally Posted by ben4345
I don't understand them either. In Portland, you are required to use a bicycle lane if provided. But I am always hugging the far left of that lane just so I can increase my chances of evading that car door.
This is what I don't understand about all the city folks saying that the suburbs are worse for biking. Out here our bike lanes run almost exclusively along the curb, not beside parked cars. Bike lanes like that work. Bike lanes next to parked cars suck.

BTW, about the law forcing you to use a bike lane where one exists....

Originally Posted by Oregon State Law
814.420 (2) A person is not required to comply with this section unless the state or local authority with jurisdiction over the roadway finds, after public hearing, that the bicycle lane or bicycle path is suitable for safe bicycle use at reasonable rates of speed.
We'd probably lose quite a few cases, but I think cyclists should push this particular issue with regard to door zone bike lanes.
Old 04-20-12, 10:23 AM
genec
genec

Bikes: custom built, sannino, beachbike, giant trance x2

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Quoted: 13658 Post(s)
Liked 4,532 Times in 3,158 Posts
Been hit 3 different times... one was a left hook, behind me, so I didn't see it... bent the rear triangle of the bike and the rear wheel... bruises and scratches to me. One was a right hook... tweaked fork and front wheel... minor scratches for me. The last was a motorist who stopped and then went at a stop sign. I had ROW and was moving at over 20MPH. Big dent in the front fender of the car, pretzeled the bike... I was taken unconscious to the hospital, woke up several hours later. Held for observation, later had facial surgery for large gashes and did physical therapy... the latter for my back. BTW the motorist was ticketed for failing to yield ROW and the police were very cooperative.
Old 04-20-12, 10:44 AM
HardyWeinberg
GATC

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 464 Post(s)
Liked 49 Times in 27 Posts
Kept me off the bike more because the bike was mangled than me but I did have a year of chiropractor followups
Old 04-20-12, 11:27 AM
ckaspar

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by canyoneagle
Many close calls, less so once I started using active lighting day or night.
One collision, back in 1986 on a solo training ride. I T-boned a car that pulled out of a residential parking lot and went up on the hood. My privates got impaled by my stem (my man unit was pierced all the way through, fortunately off center, or it would have been WAY worse). Not pleasant. Thankfully, that was my only impact, and I hope it remains as such. I did get a nice new fork and wheelset out of the deal, though......
"Oooh, I get a shiny new fork and wheel set and I can pee in three directions." Sorry, I cringed when I read the post and had to make a joke or I would be dwelling on it all day and imaging the pain.

**And now back to our regularly scheduled program**
Old 04-20-12, 11:27 AM
groovestew

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked 43 Times in 33 Posts
Plate with 9 screws in my wrist thanks to a collision back in September. Bike totaled, still putting together a new one.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.