Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Red/cable routing/handlebar question

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-11, 05:43 AM
patentcad
Peloton Shelter Dog

Bikes: 2017 Scott Foil, 2016 Scott Addict SL, 2018 Santa Cruz Blur CC MTB

Mentioned: 74 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1142 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 22 Posts

I'm considering Red for my Cervelo S2. 7900 shifts lousy, the serpentine cable routing between the K-Wing bars/S2 top tube routing doesn't work with the D.A. Would Red be more tolerant of that arrangement? Seems to me Double Tap might be less finicky about that.

Also wondering if there are any carbon bars with a flat section on top besides the K-Wings anybody can recommend that might have easier cable routing than the FSA bars.
Old 05-24-11, 06:22 AM
svtmike

Bikes: S-Works Roubaix SL2^H4, Secteur Sport, TriCross, Kaffenback, Lurcher 29er

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The 3T Ergonova has wide tops (Team and LTD are carbon) like the K-Wings though the tops don't rise. The 3T bar has channels underneath for the cables; very simple to route and hold with strapping tape.
Old 05-24-11, 07:16 AM
topflightpro

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1851 Post(s)
Liked 679 Times in 430 Posts
The Sram might work a little better as the shifters are designed to handle either inside or outside cable routing.

That said, I think the bigger issue is the interface between the K-Wing and S2, especially if you are using the internal routing on the K-Wing bars. If you are, I don't know that it will matter much which system you use as you are going to get some funky cable routing.

As for other bars, I believe Easton also makes a flat top carbon bar and Ritchey and Deda make carbon bars that are certainly wider, though not quite as flat/wingish as the K-Wing or 3T.
Old 05-24-11, 07:40 AM
SpongeDad
Overacting because I can

Bikes: Merlin Agilis, Trek 1500

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by patentcad
I'm considering Red for my Cervelo S2. 7900 shifts lousy, the serpentine cable routing between the K-Wing bars/S2 top tube routing doesn't work with the D.A. Would Red be more tolerant of that arrangement? Seems to me Double Tap might be less finicky about that.

Also wondering if there are any carbon bars with a flat section on top besides the K-Wings anybody can recommend that might have easier cable routing than the FSA bars.
5yrs on my 7800 and I'm dreading the day it gives up the ghost.

"I am a courageous cyclist." (SpongeDad)
Old 05-24-11, 11:00 AM
Second Mouse
....gets the cheese

Bikes: Cannondale Synapse, Cannondale Caad 8, Wilier Triestina Jareen

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
The "Et Tu George" thread gets 12 pages and nobody's jumping on a Pcad-cable-routing thread?

The Earth is spinning off its axis.
Old 05-24-11, 11:35 AM
kimconyc
Seńor Member

Bikes: 2018 Lynskey R380 Ti | 2011 Hampsten Travelissimo Gran Paradiso Ti | 2001 De Rosa Neo Primato - Batik Del Monte, Genius | 1991 Eddy Merckx - Motorola, TSX

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 7 Posts

I have the Ritchey WCS Streem bars on one of my bikes, running SRAM Red. It has a flat section on the top.

However, in terms of addressing the primary bike issue, I highly recommend Yokozuna Reaction cables before even considering getting SRAM Red. Have Piermont order you the road kit ($50+/- for shifters and brake cables and housing).
Old 05-24-11, 12:07 PM
K&K_Dad
Schleckaholic

Bikes: '08 Trek 1.2, Schwinn Avenue Hybrid, '11 GT Sport

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by kimconyc
However, in terms of addressing the primary bike issue, I highly recommend Yokozuna Reaction cables before even considering getting SRAM Red. Have Piermont order you the road kit ($50+/- for shifters and brake cables and housing).
There is no issue. He clearly wants to go to a more superior product. Although I think another 500 page thread is the only solution to this question and the only possible way you will ever feel like it has been taken seriously. You do want to be taken seriously, right?
Old 05-24-11, 12:12 PM
Jeepnut22 
Klickety-Klackety

Bikes: Ones with 2 wheels...

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by svtmike
The 3T Ergonova has wide tops (Team and LTD are carbon) like the K-Wings though the tops don't rise. The 3T bar has channels underneath for the cables; very simple to route and hold with strapping tape.
With my RED shifters, and 3T Ergonova Team bar, the cables were a snap to route and there are no binding issues at all. Shifting is fantastic. I used Yokozuna Reaction cables (4mm housing for shifters, 5mm housing for brakes) and everything tucks in nicely into the bars channel.

Regarding the Cervelo, it's internal routing is different than my BMC so I cannot speak towards how that will work with the cables coming off the bars to the top tube/ headset area...
Old 05-24-11, 12:14 PM
AngryScientist 
Lost

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked 113 Times in 45 Posts
Record Pcad, Record is what you want. not sram.
Old 05-24-11, 12:16 PM
AngryScientist 
Lost

and find a new mechanic. if your shop cant get dura-ace level components shifting correctly they are no good at their job.
Old 05-24-11, 12:44 PM
kimconyc
Seńor Member

Bikes: 2018 Lynskey R380 Ti | 2011 Hampsten Travelissimo Gran Paradiso Ti | 2001 De Rosa Neo Primato - Batik Del Monte, Genius | 1991 Eddy Merckx - Motorola, TSX

Originally Posted by AngryScientist
Record Pcad, Record is what you want. not sram.
It's not going to shift well with the S2 internal routing.

However, having both bikes with Campagnolo 11 and SRAM Red, I can conclude Campagnolo is far, far superior in many ways.
Old 05-24-11, 12:46 PM
kimconyc
Seńor Member

Which is pretty much why I said Di2 upgrade kit is a very good option since it negates the tight bend issue in terms of cable routing; plus, makes for a convenient transition since Pcad is already running mechanical 7900, but Pcad won't listen and he'll end up rueing the day he got SRAM Red.
Old 05-24-11, 12:47 PM
AngryScientist 
Lost

It's not going to shift well with the S2 internal routing.

However, having both bikes with Campagnolo 11 and SRAM Red, I can conclude Campagnolo is far, far superior in many ways.
but why? i have no experience with internal routing, but a high end bike like the S2 should be designed to smoothly route cable through the bike correct?
Old 05-24-11, 12:49 PM
eippo1
I like beans

Bikes: Tarmac Pro, Bianchi Zurigo, Raleigh Gran Sport, Fuji Del Rey, Ironman Centurion

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I'm surprised Pcad has a question. I thought he only has answers .

Have you thought about changing the cables to something with more compression like Yokozuna Reaction cables?
Old 05-24-11, 01:05 PM
kimconyc
Seńor Member

Originally Posted by AngryScientist
but why? i have no experience with internal routing, but a high end bike like the S2 should be designed to smoothly route cable through the bike correct?
I just know from the mechanics at my shop that Campagnolo (v1.0 SR11, I assume v2 is the same) has issues with tight bends in the bars to frame transition, as is the case in Pcad's situation.

There is nothing smooth about the cable routing in the Cervelo S2/S3 frames: https://www.competitivecyclist.com/za...ION=1&RSS=TRUE
Old 05-24-11, 01:10 PM
ilovecycling

Bikes: LOOK 595 & Cannondale CAAD9

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
+1 for Di2 if you want to spend the $. All your troubles would disappear.

I don't think switching between mechanical components is going to do anything. I once shifted through a few gears on a S2 w/ Red that was on a repair stand. I wasn't impressed. I asked the owner of the bike what the deal was and he said, "It's the cable routing."

I would try Yokozuna or Gore cables before doing anything else. Just my 2 cents.
Old 05-24-11, 01:20 PM
ilovecycling

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I just know from the mechanics at my shop that Campagnolo (v1.0 SR11, I assume v2 is the same) has issues with tight bends in the bars to frame transition, as is the case in Pcad's situation.

There is nothing smooth about the cable routing in the Cervelo S2/S3 frames: https://www.competitivecyclist.com/za...ION=1&RSS=TRUE
Yeah..I don't know why the Cervelo engineers thought it was a good idea to do this. The fraction of a gram of drag saved by doing this is not worth having to deal with this funky cable routing. One bad shift and those couple of seconds you save over 40km are negated. When I was shopping around for my first Cervelo I was looking at the 2011 R3 and the S2. The cable routing on the S2 was a deal breaker for me.
Old 05-24-11, 01:20 PM
M_FactorX19

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
this. i think i would try that before you get a new group. i would also try new cables and housing as well.

i really like sram but it is different so i would make sure its for you before you take the plunge.
Old 05-24-11, 06:52 PM
patentcad
Peloton Shelter Dog

My mechanic does indeed know what he's doing. The S2/S3 cable routing is idiotic, and when you combine it with K-Wing bars it's like a cable routing perfect storm, nothing shifts well (I had another mechanic at a major Cervelo dealer confirm this). I think I'll try the 3T bars first and see how that goes, still considering Di2 as well.
Old 05-24-11, 06:53 PM
Velo Gator

Bikes: Cervélo S2

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 11 Posts
3T here, seems to be mostly fine with 6700.
Old 05-24-11, 06:57 PM
patentcad
Peloton Shelter Dog

How about this handlebar:

https://www.competitivecyclist.com/p...575.399.0.html
Old 05-24-11, 07:02 PM
svtmike

Bikes: S-Works Roubaix SL2^H4, Secteur Sport, TriCross, Kaffenback, Lurcher 29er

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You want another bar with internal cable routing?
Old 05-24-11, 07:19 PM
SpongeDad
Overacting because I can

Bikes: Merlin Agilis, Trek 1500

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My mechanic does indeed know what he's doing. The S2/S3 cable routing is idiotic, and when you combine it with K-Wing bars it's like a cable routing perfect storm, nothing shifts well (I had another mechanic at a major Cervelo dealer confirm this). I think I'll try the 3T bars first and see how that goes, still considering Di2 as well.
I would figure out what pro rides an S3 with 7900 and use whatever bar they use. Sure they ride what's given, but I doubt that extends to bars that cause iffy shifting.

"I am a courageous cyclist." (SpongeDad)
Old 05-24-11, 07:44 PM
patentcad
Peloton Shelter Dog

You want another bar with internal cable routing?
I want what works. Does the 3T have external cable routing?
Old 05-24-11, 08:13 PM
ilovecycling

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I want what works. Does the 3T have external cable routing?
Yes, it's external but there is a built-in channel/groove that acts as a cable housing guide. The cables run along this channel underneath the bar and in between the tape and bar (obviously). You can't even feel the cable housing. The ergonova is a very comfy handlebar that won't have any of the issues associated with internal routing. They are by far the best all-around drop handlebar I've come across to date. I highly recommend them to anyone.

Last edited by ilovecycling; 05-24-11 at 08:18 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.