Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Interesting article on Speedplay pedals.

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-11, 08:28 AM
VaMoots

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

https://www.cyclingtipsblog.com/2011/...edplay-pedals/
Old 06-17-11, 08:42 AM
merlinextraligh
pan y agua

Bikes: Willier Zero 7; Merlin Extralight; Calfee Dragonfly tandem, Calfee Adventure tandem; Cervelo P2; Motebecane Ti Fly 29er; Motebecanne Phantom Cross; Schwinn Paramount Track bike

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1447 Post(s)
Liked 727 Times in 372 Posts
There's a fair amount of hyperbole in that article.

One, "$80 every six to 8 months for cleats". First, the cleats only cost $35 to 40, so he's exaggerating the replacement cost. Also, in my experience, while Speedplay says to replace the cleats every 3000-5000 miles, I often get at least 5000 miles out of them.

Second, multiple bearing failures, to the point of locking up, seems highly out of the ordinary. I've been using Speedpalys for 20 plus years, am not fastidious about lubing them,a nd have never had a pedal lock up. ( other than steel X5 pedal that rusted with prolonged lack of use.)

Third, the level of maintenance required is not significant. Speedplay says to lube the pedals every 2,000 miles. I typically do it once a year, and its a 2 minute job. (remove scew, squirt in grease, until clean grease squirts out the other side, replace screw.)

And lubing the cleats takes a second, and I only do it very occassionally, as needed.

I guess it doesn't make as good of read for your blog to say my pedals work fine, no significant issues.
OR YOU COULD STAY HOME AND FALL OFF THE COUCH AND DIE.
Old 06-17-11, 09:03 AM
JTGraphics

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
^ I'd agree I have been using SpeedPlay on all my bikes with no issues my cleats are used just about 6 days of the week as I commute 5 days just about everyday as long as weather is ok and ride 1 day on weekend's and replace them once a year and they are $40 maybe if I shop. I have never had a bearing issue on any pedals also.
Old 06-17-11, 09:24 AM
patentcad
Peloton Shelter Dog

Bikes: 2017 Scott Foil, 2016 Scott Addict SL, 2018 Santa Cruz Blur CC MTB

Mentioned: 74 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1142 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 22 Posts
Speedplays aren't as finicky as that article would have you believe, or as maintenance intensive. But they were more of a pain than my current Keos. In more ways than one.
Old 06-17-11, 09:32 AM
lazerzxr

Bikes: Colnago C59 Italia Di2

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
as a new user of speedplays a few years ago i thought they were fussy, then i realised they get much better with a bit of neglect and ignorance. I remember cleaning them religiously to start with because I could feel every last bit of grit in them, now i walk across gravel car parks before clipping in and dont notice anything. They are great pedals and the adjustability means i will use them as long as i ride bikes. Low stack height also means i can reduce my saddle to bar drop by a noticeable amount which is a bonus
Old 06-17-11, 09:36 AM
patentcad
Peloton Shelter Dog

Bikes: 2017 Scott Foil, 2016 Scott Addict SL, 2018 Santa Cruz Blur CC MTB

Mentioned: 74 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1142 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 22 Posts
Originally Posted by lazerzxr
as a new user of speedplays a few years ago i thought they were fussy, then i realised they get much better with a bit of neglect and ignorance. I remember cleaning them religiously to start with because I could feel every last bit of grit in them, now i walk across gravel car parks before clipping in and dont notice anything. They are great pedals and the adjustability means i will use them as long as i ride bikes. Low stack height also means i can reduce my saddle to bar drop by a noticeable amount which is a bonus
Hot spots.

That's why I dumped them. Don't get that with Keos.
Old 06-17-11, 09:37 AM
zigmeister

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Not sure why I would want to click on some blog link that surely has advertising in hopes the author will get me to click a sponsor and make $.50 off the transaction if I buy something.
Old 06-17-11, 09:39 AM
Palomar01
SpeedFreak

Bikes: Motobecane Le Champ Ti

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I just started using the SP Light actions so I'm loving them. However, I am religious about keeping them clean, along with the cleats. I don't mind doing that.

My co-worker is another story. He has had his SP's going on 5 years with thousands of miles on it. I looked at them and they (pedals and cleats) looked pretty beat up. I asked him if he ever oiled them and he said no. I asked if he's had any failures and he said no. They just keep working for him. I would had replaced them by now if I were him but this guy is not a slave to the latest and greatest so he just rides things until they die.
Old 06-17-11, 09:46 AM
DScott
It's ALL base...

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Palomar01

My co-worker is another story. He has had his SP's going on 5 years with thousands of miles on it. I looked at them and they (pedals and cleats) looked pretty beat up. I asked him if he ever oiled them and he said no. I asked if he's had any failures and he said no. They just keep working for him. I would had replaced them by now if I were him but this guy is not a slave to the latest and greatest so he just rides things until they die.
Have we ridden together?

My current pair of Zero cleats have part of the alloy plate broken off, and I'll probably have to cut slots in the ground-down mounting screws to get them off when it's time to replace them. I don't hesitate to walk with them anywhere, except in the house. I lube the cleats when they squeak, and the pedals when I remember to.

They still work great.
Old 06-17-11, 10:04 AM
SpongeDad
Overacting because I can

Bikes: Merlin Agilis, Trek 1500

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I probably have about 15,000 miles on my current pair of speedplay zeroes. Only lubed the pedals once two years ago; dust the cleats with graphite once or twice a year. Just now having to replace the cleats (one of the springs/clips broke).

now that I'm thinking about it, maybe I'll lube them up this weekend if I'm bored.

"I am a courageous cyclist." (SpongeDad)
Old 06-17-11, 10:12 AM
uncrx2003

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by patentcad
Hot spots.

I used to get hot spots, too. Then one day I forgot to buckle up my shoes straps and got no hot spots whatsoever. I only loosely strap up now. Feet are much more comfortable.
Old 06-17-11, 10:20 AM
JTGraphics

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I can see were if you walk around in a bunch of crap (can I say that?) they may not work so well use the covers and they are fine
I have never had hot spots but I also have custom heat molded insoles for my shoes I think that hot spots may be more of a shoe insole issue than cleats.
In any case I like them and would not switch.
Old 06-17-11, 10:26 AM
longbeachgary

Bikes: Eddy Merckx San Remo 76, Eddy Merckx San Remo 76 - Black Silver and Red, Eddy Merckx Sallanches 64 (2); Eddy Merckx MXL;

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 143 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by zigmeister
Not sure why I would want to click on some blog link that surely has advertising in hopes the author will get me to click a sponsor and make $.50 off the transaction if I buy something.
Yep, someone's blog does not make an "article".
Old 06-17-11, 10:34 AM
Carbon Unit
Live to ride ride to live

Bikes: Calfee Tetra Pro

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I have replaced my cleats once in five years. The one set of cleats that I purchased cost me $35.00 from Ebay and had no problem installing them. I lube the pedals every six months but seldom lube the cleats.

I don't use coffee covers I put Shoe Goo on the cleats which makes them grip asphalt better and makes them easier to walk in. I have never had them lock up and have never accidentally unclipped.

Also, I have never had hot spots with my Speedplays.
Old 06-17-11, 03:08 PM
BassoCoral
Metro DC Refugee

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Switch to BeBops.
Old 06-17-11, 05:43 PM
SVThis

Bikes: 1984 Miyata 710, 2010 Scott CR! Team

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I started with Look Keo Max and swithed to Speedplay Light Actions. I've used them since last fall and started getting knee pain. Switched back to the Looks. Knee pain gone. I think the LA's had too much float and wobble for me.
Old 06-17-11, 07:59 PM
Joemess
Space for rent

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by patentcad
Hot spots.

+1. I had horrific hot spots on both my feet when I switched to speed plays. Went back to my shimano pedals and the discomfort went away.
Old 06-17-11, 08:16 PM
Carbon Unit
Live to ride ride to live

Bikes: Calfee Tetra Pro

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Joemess
+1. I had horrific hot spots on both my feet when I switched to speed plays. Went back to my shimano pedals and the discomfort went away.
One thing I have noticed with Speedplays is that you need really stiff shoes. I also have Look pedals with cheap nylon shoes and they are fine. I wouldn't try that will Speedplay pedals. I would only run stiff full carbon shoes with Speedplay.
Old 06-17-11, 08:41 PM
MUZE

Bikes: Scott CR 1

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
"....used them since last fall and started getting knee pain. Switched back to the Looks. Knee pain gone."

I had the opposite experience.
Old 06-17-11, 08:44 PM
fly:yes/land:no
abandoning

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
my experience with zeros: best pedal system i have ridden. i have racked up thousands of miles of racing, commuting, training, etc. i have serviced them twice. before me, they belonged to someone else who rode them for a summer. before him, they belonged to someone else who rode them for several years. they have survived crashes, sprints, clipped corners, and more without damage. i have replaced the cleats once in 5 years. so far this year, i am at around 5,000 miles, and the cleats were last replaced the summer before last.
Old 06-17-11, 08:54 PM
damnpoor

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've been running speedplay for several years. Never lube the pedal, rarely lube the cleat, never had a problem. Conclusion: either I'm not riding enough or speedplays are awesome.

Originally Posted by MUZE
"....used them since last fall and started getting knee pain. Switched back to the Looks. Knee pain gone."

I had the opposite experience.
Me too. I use SP because I don't get knee pain.
Old 06-17-11, 09:05 PM
Nachoman
well hello there

Bikes: Bill Holland (Road-Ti), Fuji Roubaix Pro (back-up), Bike Friday (folder), Co-Motion (tandem) & Trek 750 (hybrid)

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 503 Post(s)
Liked 336 Times in 206 Posts
Originally Posted by SpongeDad
I probably have about 15,000 miles on my current pair of speedplay zeroes. Only lubed the pedals once two years ago; dust the cleats with graphite once or twice a year. Just now having to replace the cleats (one of the springs/clips broke).

now that I'm thinking about it, maybe I'll lube them up this weekend if I'm bored.
Tell me more about this, if you wouldn't mind. How do you do it? I use that powdered graphite stuff on a lot things. never thought to use them with my speedplays.

Two wheels good. Four wheels bad.
Old 06-17-11, 09:15 PM
Fox Farm

Bikes: Merlin Extra Light, Orbea Orca, Ritchey Outback,Tomac Revolver Mountain Bike, Cannondale Crit 3.0 now used for time trials.

Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 34 Posts
I have been using X2 Speedplay pedals since 1998. Lube them once a year. Replace cleats at what seems like once every two or so years. If I use cleat covers regularly and lube the groove on the pedals, perhaps even more then two years per cleat set. I used Look as early as 1986 6and went through on average two sets of cleats a year, at $15 a set. In 5 years, I bought my Speedplays with what I spent on Look cleats.
Old 06-17-11, 09:47 PM
lazerzxr

Bikes: Colnago C59 Italia Di2

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
after getting speedplays my look keos just sit in a box in my spares kit, i'll never go back
Old 06-17-11, 10:03 PM
Minion1

Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 19 Posts
[QUOTE=merlinextraligh;12801260]There's a fair amount of hyperbole in that article.

One, "$80 every six to 8 months for cleats". First, the cleats only cost $35 to 40, so he's exaggerating the replacement cost. Also, in my experience, while Speedplay says to replace the cleats every 3000-5000 miles, I often get at least 5000 miles out of them.

The writer of that blog is based in Melbourne, Australia where cycling accessories are going to be priced differently to the states. Think another layer of transport costs, taxes and distributors to pay, even though the Australian dollar is currently worth more than the US.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.