Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Wireless computer or Wired???

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-12, 12:09 AM
TripleAce

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi, Whats your thoughts on Wired bike computers vs Wireless.

Do they both work relatively the same? Is one better than the other? And does the wire on the wired computer get in the way or looks messy?

Thanks all
Old 05-18-12, 12:43 AM
rekmeyata

Bikes: 2020 Masi Giramondo 700c; 2013 Lynskey Peloton; 1992 Giant Rincon; 1989 Dawes needs parts; 1985 Trek 660; 1985 Fuji Club; 1984 Schwinn Voyager; 1984 Miyata 612; 1977 Raleigh Competition GS

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1128 Post(s)
Liked 257 Times in 207 Posts
There's pros and cons to both, it just depends on what you want. A Wireless job looks nicer when it's on the bike due to no wire going from the computer to the sender, but they cost more to get the same features found in a wired computer. Wireless computers use batteries in the computer and sender, the bat in the wireless computer will last at least 5 years same with wired, the wireless sender about 6 months. The wireless is a bit heavier due to the bulky sending unit. Typically a wireless computer will last about 4 years though none of mine ever made it past 3 years. Overall I believe wired computers are better in terms of features, reliability, and cost.

Brand wise Cateye and Sigma are my favorites, currently I use Sigma's, I think they offer more features for the money, plus I think their the nicest looking of all the computers on the market.
Old 05-18-12, 01:13 AM
Fox Farm

Bikes: Merlin Extra Light, Orbea Orca, Ritchey Outback,Tomac Revolver Mountain Bike, Cannondale Crit 3.0 now used for time trials.

Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 34 Posts
When I use to have an Avocet 45 wired, I would compare it to the wireless Polar which I would also mount on the bike at the same time. The wired responded to speed changes and showed them to you instantly where as the wireless had a short delay. I now use a Cateye double wireless on one bike and a Ciclo wired on the other. Both have cadence and the wireless is muss less messy with out all of the wires and double senders. My one dislike of Cateye units are the very narrow digits.
Old 05-18-12, 01:22 AM
krobinson103

Bikes: Nothing amazing... cheap old 21 speed mtb

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I use a basic wired cateye. Totally reliable and the single wire going to the front wheel can ride down the brake cable. Its lasted six years so far and never missed a beat. If you want cadence etc wireless may offer a neater solution, but IMHO its just more complicated for no real reason going wireless.

Last edited by krobinson103; 05-18-12 at 05:45 AM.
Old 05-18-12, 04:49 AM
K&K_Dad
Schleckaholic

Bikes: '08 Trek 1.2, Schwinn Avenue Hybrid, '11 GT Sport

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
The biggest thing in my book is that when, (it's only a matter of time), you mess up the wire in a wired system your screwed. I have nothing against them and I loved mine. Worked flawlessly for years but because the wires somehow frayed or split made mine a paperweight.
If all you want to know is how far you went and how long and how fast then all you need is a basic wired, or a watch. if you want all that other stuff cadence, elevation, blah blah blah. go wireless.
Old 05-18-12, 05:16 AM
bobones

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 10 Posts
I have had trouble with interference from bike lights disrupting the signal of wireless computers. Doesn't happen with my Garmin though which uses a digital protocol that is less susceptible. Just something to bear in mind.
Old 05-18-12, 05:20 AM
IthaDan 

Bikes: Click on the #YOLO

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 12 Posts
I also like how a wired computer just starts up when you start moving, but you have to wake up a wireless or else it'll just stay blank, and not register anything until you do.

Shimano : Click :: Campy : Snap :: SRAM : Bang
Old 05-18-12, 06:21 AM
deacon mark

Bikes: Habanero Titanium Team Nuevo

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 401 Post(s)
Liked 187 Times in 123 Posts
cateye wireless never an issue and when done with a wheel rollout it is deadly accurate.
Old 05-18-12, 07:46 AM
kh6idf

Bikes: Cervelo RS

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by IthaDan
I also like how a wired computer just starts up when you start moving, but you have to wake up a wireless or else it'll just stay blank, and not register anything until you do.
When I had a Cateye Strada wireless, you didn't have to do anything to get it started unless the bike had been sitting for a long time (like 2 weeks) and it went to sleep. Otherwise just get on the bike and go. I use a Garmin Edge 200 now, which requires a few button pushes (power on, select ride mode, press start) but is a much cleaner installation with nothing on the wheel or fork.
Old 05-18-12, 08:11 AM
KevinF
Keep on climbing

Bikes: 2004 Calfee Tetra Pro

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by IthaDan
I have a wireless computer on my bike. Whenever I start a ride (i.e., mile 0) I reset the various ride counters (i.e., time ridden, distance ridden, etc), so that "wakes it up" anyway. If I am just resuming from a mid-ride stop (i.e., traffic light, lunch, etc) though, I don't have to touch it.
Old 05-18-12, 09:07 AM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts
I bought a wireless CatEye Strada Cadence, what a waste of money. Even if it wasn't crap (it just stopped working one day - I replaced the batteries and it just shows 0 mph no matter how fast I'm going) I wouldn't have a use for it now that I've got a Garmin.

GPS bike computers can be profoundly useful and nice-to-have. If you're the type of person who might want one down the line, consider putting the money you might have spent on a wireless cyclocomputer right into a GPS.
Old 05-18-12, 09:27 AM
K&K_Dad
Schleckaholic

Bikes: '08 Trek 1.2, Schwinn Avenue Hybrid, '11 GT Sport

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Seattle Forrest
I bought a wireless CatEye Strada Cadence, what a waste of money. Even if it wasn't crap (it just stopped working one day - I replaced the batteries and it just shows 0 mph no matter how fast I'm going) I wouldn't have a use for it now that I've got a Garmin.

GPS bike computers can be profoundly useful and nice-to-have. If you're the type of person who might want one down the line, consider putting the money you might have spent on a wireless cyclocomputer right into a GPS.
what is it about the Strada Cadence that causes so many problems. Even after Cateye sent me new parts I refused to put it on my bike because I knew down the road I'd just have the same problem everyone else did.

I agree.. if you think you're gonna stick with cycling and really really want a computer just do yourself a favor and get something nicer from the get go.
Old 05-18-12, 09:36 AM
John_V 

Bikes: 2017 Colnago C-RS, 2012 Colnago Ace, 2010 Giant Cypress hybrid

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 408 Post(s)
Liked 122 Times in 85 Posts
I prefer wired, but I have a Cateye Double Wireless on my road bike because the black wire from the chain stay to the handlebar on a white bike just looks weird. The computers on the other bikes are Sigmas.

2017 Colnago C-RS
2012 Colnago Ace
2010 Giant Cypress
Old 05-18-12, 10:00 AM
WorldIRC
Canadian eh?

Bikes: 2020 Specialized Roubaix Expert

Quoted: 131 Post(s)
Liked 96 Times in 54 Posts
I use the Bontrager Node 1.1 system. It's a great system, big screen...but for Trek Madone riders, the best part is the sensors built right into the frame mount. Makes for a very clean setup.
Old 05-18-12, 01:47 PM
rekmeyata

Bikes: 2020 Masi Giramondo 700c; 2013 Lynskey Peloton; 1992 Giant Rincon; 1989 Dawes needs parts; 1985 Trek 660; 1985 Fuji Club; 1984 Schwinn Voyager; 1984 Miyata 612; 1977 Raleigh Competition GS

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1128 Post(s)
Liked 257 Times in 207 Posts
One poster mentioned that the wire on a wired job can be broken, that's true, you can break one...but it's also a rare event, my last wired computer lasted 18 years before the wire got loose...18 to 20 years vs 3 to 4 years for wireless...hmmm, I can't figure out which is more reliable and cost effective, maybe someone can figure that out for me.
Old 05-18-12, 01:58 PM
RT
The Weird Beard

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I have a wired Sigma that has been great for 8+ years.
Old 05-18-12, 02:03 PM
Carbon Unit
Live to ride ride to live

Bikes: Calfee Tetra Pro

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I have a Garmin which is wireless. It works perfectly and have never had an issue with it. I am using cadence and heart rate on it so they require two batteries and the head unit is rechargeable.
Old 05-18-12, 02:13 PM
eja_ bottecchia

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1021 Post(s)
Liked 464 Times in 293 Posts
My Gramin Edge500 works great. It is a bit pricey, but I can use it on three of my bikes and still get a grand total of miles for all three bikes.

Wired computers are OK, but I kept ruining the wires.
Old 05-18-12, 07:40 PM
GlennR
On Your Left

Bikes: Trek Emonda SLR, Sram eTap, Zipp 303

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 3004 Post(s)
Liked 2,434 Times in 1,187 Posts
Originally Posted by WorldIRC
I use the Bontrager Node 1.1 system. It's a great system, big screen...but for Trek Madone riders, the best part is the sensors built right into the frame mount. Makes for a very clean setup.
Just got a Node 1.1 and love the clean and easy install.
Old 05-18-12, 09:03 PM
Nachoman
well hello there

Bikes: Bill Holland (Road-Ti), Fuji Roubaix Pro (back-up), Bike Friday (folder), Co-Motion (tandem) & Trek 750 (hybrid)

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 503 Post(s)
Liked 337 Times in 207 Posts
Originally Posted by rekmeyata
A Wireless job looks nicer when it's on the bike due to no wire going from the computer to the sender,

It takes some patience to make a wired computer look good.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
img2189cj9.jpg (59.1 KB, 15 views)

Two wheels good. Four wheels bad.
Old 05-18-12, 09:09 PM
10 Wheels
Galveston County Texas

Bikes: 02 GTO, 2011 Magnum

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1355 Post(s)
Liked 1,249 Times in 626 Posts
Originally Posted by rekmeyata
One poster mentioned that the wire on a wired job can be broken, that's true, you can break one...but it's also a rare event, my last wired computer lasted 18 years before the wire got loose...18 to 20 years vs 3 to 4 years for wireless...hmmm, I can't figure out which is more reliable and cost effective, maybe someone can figure that out for me.
I use these, free shipping.
https://www.dealextreme.com/p/sunding...edometer-24075

Old 05-18-12, 09:27 PM
snowman40

Bikes: Fuji

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've used Schwinn (Target) wired and Topeak wired and they were ok. The Schwinn ones didn't have features I needed (heart rate, I would get tunnel vision up some hills and decided to upgrade to something with heart rate) and the Topeak failed horribly. My wireless ones are both Sigma and I love them. I get interference from lights in the winter, so I just use strava for then when commuting. I got the Sigmas from moderbike.com and REI.
Old 05-18-12, 11:32 PM
pgjackson

Bikes: Rossetti Vertigo

Quoted: 229 Post(s)
Liked 119 Times in 70 Posts
Don't know why anyone would still use a wired computer. That's like having a cord on your house phone. Get with the times and just buy a wireless system.
Old 05-18-12, 11:46 PM
FPSDavid

Bikes: CAAD10

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by K&K_Dad
The biggest thing in my book is that when, (it's only a matter of time), you mess up the wire in a wired system your screwed. I have nothing against them and I loved mine. Worked flawlessly for years but because the wires somehow frayed or split made mine a paperweight.
If all you want to know is how far you went and how long and how fast then all you need is a basic wired, or a watch. if you want all that other stuff cadence, elevation, blah blah blah. go wireless.
Yeah, my wired cateye cadence is now a clock.
Old 05-18-12, 11:47 PM
Peiper1

Bikes: 2012 Trek Madone 5.2

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by WorldIRC
Second that for the Node, I have the Node 2 on my Madone. Seeing as you are a fellow Torontonian which model Madone do you have?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.