Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Alt Bike Culture
Reload this Page >

Advice for swing bike build....??

Search
Notices
Alt Bike Culture Chopped, dropped, stretched, lifted, and otherwise cut up and put back together. The art and science of choppers, cruisers, lowriders and the vast world of mutant bicycles.

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-20, 02:53 AM
Gardenburn
Satanic Mechanic

Bikes: Cross-muter, Soma Saga, Fat Bike, Gravel Gobbler, vintage Italian folder, '84 Trek 500 for sale

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

Planning on a swing bike build this summer. I've always wanted one. What have you learned to NOT do, what are your tricks? I want the seattube/head tube integrated into the seattube, not a separate part within the "front triangle". I'm also considering a retro-direct drivetrain. Y'know, cuz swing bikes aren't difficult enough to ride!😂
Old 02-28-20, 10:58 AM
UniChris

Bikes: 36" Unicycle, winter knock-around hybrid bike

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 930 Post(s)
Liked 393 Times in 282 Posts
Seems like you have a range of options and should maybe look at what's out there first - ie, on the one hand you have various somewhat conventional bicycles with frames designed to hold a chain drive in place while hinging, on the other you have something like the Hoppley Circus Bike that is essentially a pair of unicycles mated by a rectangular frame with a head tube on each end.

If you go direct drive, keep in mind you'll probably end up with a tiny gear ratio especially if you use smaller wheels. And unless you start with a drift trike (vs unicycle) hub you'll also be fixed gear - which can enable a lot but changes the approach to riding. In those configurations you'll probably want short cranks, too - say 125mm, even 150's are likely to feel like pedaling air to no effect.

Last edited by UniChris; 02-28-20 at 11:04 AM.
Old 03-08-20, 12:32 PM
AdkMtnMonster
Airplanes, bikes, beer.

Bikes: Road bikes, mountain bikes, a cx bike, a gravel bike…

Quoted: 398 Post(s)
Liked 788 Times in 339 Posts
I thought swinging faded out by sometime around ‘78.
Old 06-29-20, 04:24 PM
CleoFuller

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I also need such advice)
Old 07-04-20, 08:58 PM
Velo Mule

Bikes: Trek 800 x 2, Schwinn Heavy Duti, Schwinn Traveler, Schwinn Le Tour Luxe, Schwinn Continental, Cannondale M400 and Lambert, Schwinn Super Sport

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 809 Post(s)
Liked 1,018 Times in 664 Posts
I have always heard that they will go from stable to scraping the road in an instant. It wasn't until I saw Seth's bike hacks that I realized that the 20" wheeled swing bikes of the 70's were not stable, but a 26" wheel version with perhaps better design is ridable and looks like fun. Here is the link to his video: