Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Bike 24 Germany

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-20, 08:02 PM
HerrKaLeun

Bikes: Giant Toughroad SLR1 and Motobecane Sturgis NX

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 900 Post(s)
Liked 231 Times in 168 Posts
Originally Posted by Harhir
If you complain about shipping rates, be happy you get it at all. Right now Deutsche Post in Germany and USPS here in the US have significant restrictions for international mail delivery due to Covid 19.
Lots of international flights have been cancelled which would normally haul mail. And local Covid 19 measurements prevent the acceptance and delivery of mail.
Here are the current restrictions from Deutsche Post to the US. Any packages over 500 grams and 2cm thickness are no going the old fashioned way via "steamer".... That means weeks and weeks of delivery time.
https://www.deutschepost.de/en/c/coronavirus.html#usa
Also private companies like UPS and Fedex have restrictions and they have always been way more expensive than the postal service.

I have bought lots of stuff from bikes stores in Germany and had it sent to my mom in Germany. I then picked up all the stuff then during my annual visit. But I am not sure when I can travel again safely.
I am buying mostly stuff which I cannot get in the US such as internal hub parts, dynamo powered light systems or Dutch bike specific parts.
I also hate any kind of trade restrictions. Same with the stupid region codes on DVDs. Not sure they still exist.
Did you actually experience any shipping delays? I get packages from my mom in Germany and they don't actually take longer. Only difference, it is air-freight only now, which cost more but is faster. the shipment from vendors actually are faster. Private packages are 2-3 weeks, commercial packages are about a week give or take.

I had considered having things shipped to someone in Germany and picking it up, but then you pay the 19% VAT. Obviously I had that idea before COVID and it only would work for small items.

I had something ordered from CRC and it was sent on 11/2 and expected to be here 11/11. So not an extreme travel time. IME, costume takes the longest.
Old 11-03-20, 08:48 PM
prairiepedaler
Banned.

Bikes: Looking for "the One"

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 323 Times in 212 Posts
Originally Posted by banjaboy
THat IS dirt cheap! costs more to ship from the US to Canada and takes twice as long, 2 weeks from Germany to Canada. Lots of companies in the US wont ship to Canada as they dont even know where Canada is if you ask me lol!!!
Yes indeed, but it shouldn't be.
Old 11-04-20, 07:44 AM
Harhir

Bikes: Fahrradmanufaktur Trekking Bike, 2 x Lightning Phantom, bikeE AT, Radwagon3

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 180 Post(s)
Liked 138 Times in 72 Posts
Originally Posted by HerrKaLeun
Did you actually experience any shipping delays? I get packages from my mom in Germany and they don't actually take longer. Only difference, it is air-freight only now, which cost more but is faster. the shipment from vendors actually are faster. Private packages are 2-3 weeks, commercial packages are about a week give or take.

I had considered having things shipped to someone in Germany and picking it up, but then you pay the 19% VAT. Obviously I had that idea before COVID and it only would work for small items.

I had something ordered from CRC and it was sent on 11/2 and expected to be here 11/11. So not an extreme travel time. IME, costume takes the longest.
I have not ordered anything from Germany in a long time. We only got some letter mail from family which took weeks to get here. And we shipped a small package to my mom from here which was horrible expensive since we had to use a private carrier. USPS would not ship because of Covid. In the past before Covid I always had stuff shipped to my mom. Yes there is the 19% VAT. But most of the time it was a wash with not having transatlantic shipping costs and potential customs payments. And I never had anything bulky which would not easily fit inside a suitcase.
Old 11-04-20, 08:56 AM
banjaboy

Bikes: Focus Izalco Pro 3.0 Specialized Sirrus 6.0 Genesis Core 50

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 20 Posts
Yes, no VAT added
Old 11-04-20, 08:57 AM
banjaboy

One pair of shoes here in Canada was $485.......Landed from Germany. $308
Old 11-05-20, 09:33 AM
MarcusT

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 766 Post(s)
Liked 617 Times in 344 Posts
I've lived in Europe for 25 yrs, originally from Canada. I visit family in Canada every year and years ago I would enter Canada with 2 empty suitcases and return to Europe with both full. The last 10 years, I bring one suitcase and have a hard time filling it.
Don't get me wrong, when Canada has sales, they have some great bargains, but with regular prices, Europe is cheaper than Canada
Old 11-08-20, 03:15 PM
banjaboy

We get bent over here in Canada, consistently everything is at least 15% more expensive here. I can generally find what I want, pay shipping and exchange and still be 20% cheapr