Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

6v LED light conversion

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

6v LED light conversion

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-20, 08:51 PM
spinnanz

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked 95 Times in 59 Posts
6v LED light conversion

Here some £1 LED bulbs I've retrofited. They are definatly better than the incandecent originals. This is 6v 3w originals vs 6v 0.3w LED.

You could also run them from an old dynamo but youd need a to put a rectifier diode and capacitor on the generator (about £4).

Likes For spinnanz:
Old 11-07-20, 12:55 PM
steelbikeguy

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Quoted: 1826 Post(s)
Liked 3,367 Times in 1,573 Posts
Always nice to keep an older light in use!
There have been commercially made LED conversion bulbs, but I'm not sure how available they are now. I think they were sold under the name Reflectalite?

I've retrofitted higher power LEDs into older lights before, but it's much more trouble when dealing with 3 watt LEDs. It usually ends up with some ugly modifications to make room for the LED optics and heatsink. I've thought about ways to modify my old Jos dynamo light with high power LEDs... but have been busy with other projects. Some day??

Steve in Peoria
Old 11-08-20, 08:41 AM
Mr. 66

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 1135 Post(s)
Liked 1,727 Times in 951 Posts
Thats a really neat conversation, Iwas a wondering, is the lens of the lamp plastic? It looks like it has yellowed over time, if so a few applications of rubbing compound could clean and possiblely clear it of oxidation that caused the tint.