Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Proper Etiquette When Owning A Vintage Bike

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Proper Etiquette When Owning A Vintage Bike

Old 11-15-20, 01:11 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18319 Post(s)
Liked 4,488 Times in 3,337 Posts
Originally Posted by CargoDane
I'm all for restomods, rather than keeping things original. One of my favourite restomod cars is the Volvo P1800 (the second-favourite is an Alfaholics GTA-R 290):
Yet a restomod of a bicycle is a crime against humanity?

https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-v...i-s-ergos.html

Or, perhaps it is just the fixies and SS conversions that are discriminated against.
Old 11-15-20, 01:19 PM
CargoDane
Not a newbie to cycling

Bikes: Omnium Cargo Ti with Rohloff, Bullitt Milk Plus, Dahon Smooth Hound

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 356 Post(s)
Liked 323 Times in 199 Posts
Originally Posted by CliffordK
Yet a restomod of a bicycle is a crime against humanity?

https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-v...i-s-ergos.html

Or, perhaps it is just the fixies and SS conversions that are discriminated against.
What? I never said anything of the sort, and I wasn't even in that thread you link to.
Old 11-15-20, 01:26 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18319 Post(s)
Liked 4,488 Times in 3,337 Posts
What? I never said anything of the sort, and I wasn't even in that thread you link to.
The premise of this thread is that there is some inherent reason for the OP not to update and ride his bike like he wishes.

I didn't mean to imply that you were for or against his use of the bike.

Last edited by CliffordK; 11-15-20 at 01:44 PM.
Likes For CliffordK:
Old 11-15-20, 01:32 PM
Nemosengineer 

Bikes: Teledyne Titan, Bob Jackson Audax Club, Bob Jackson World Tour, AlAn Record Ergal, 3Rensho Katana.

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 215 Post(s)
Liked 623 Times in 245 Posts
Duplicate post.

: Mike

Last edited by Nemosengineer; 11-15-20 at 03:14 PM.
Likes For Nemosengineer:
Old 11-15-20, 01:34 PM
CargoDane
Not a newbie to cycling

You already posted that (post 75).
Likes For CargoDane:
Old 11-16-20, 03:14 PM
capt_velo

Bikes: 1988 Gitane Team Replica, 2022 Trek Top Fuel 9.8

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 35 Posts
Originally Posted by bikingshearer
I would also urge no head phones, but that's for safety not for etiquette. Hearing what is around you is very important.
Once, after yelling, "ON YOUR LEFT" twice to a lady walking her dog while wearing headphones, she decided to yell at me for not giving her and her dog warning that I was passing. I yelled back in her anger that she needs to remove her headphones so she can hear the world around her. At this point, her wearing the headphones seemed rather rude.
Old 11-16-20, 03:40 PM
CargoDane
Not a newbie to cycling

Originally Posted by capt_velo
Once, after yelling, "ON YOUR LEFT" twice to a lady walking her dog while wearing headphones, she decided to yell at me for not giving her and her dog warning that I was passing. I yelled back in her anger that she needs to remove her headphones so she can hear the world around her. At this point, her wearing the headphones seemed rather rude.

Buy a bell. That's the international signal. Buy one that is penetrating and has a long ring. That way, people can hear it and with the long ring, they can tell where the sound is coming from. Shouting into the wind to people forward of you means they will only hear you when you're almost next to them. Especially if they are moving too (wind in ears). Get a bell. You're not in the TdF.
Old 11-16-20, 11:01 PM
cudak888 
www.theheadbadge.com

Bikes: https://www.theheadbadge.com

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 2401 Post(s)
Liked 4,350 Times in 2,075 Posts
If the steamroller of collective pettiness wants to point its nose down the road of A&S, I'm going to enjoy the ride to the pit of locked threads.

In this spirit, I submit the following alternate storyline:

"Oh, I'm sorry, would you have preferred this? BRRRRRRRRRRRRRAAAAAP!"

Buy a bell. That's the international signal. Buy one that is penetrating and has a long ring. That way, people can hear it and with the long ring, they can tell where the sound is coming from. Shouting into the wind to people forward of you means they will only hear you when you're almost next to them. Especially if they are moving too (wind in ears). Get a bell. You're not in the TdF.
Nah, just toe-out some Kool-Stops. There won't be a soul in the vicinity of 50 miles who will be unaware of your presence - living or deceased.

-Kurt

Likes For cudak888:
Old 11-17-20, 05:24 AM
Prowler 

Bikes: 2 Trek Mtn, Cannondale R600 road, 6 vintage road bikes

Mentioned: 83 Post(s)
Quoted: 470 Post(s)
Liked 1,016 Times in 398 Posts
Buy a bell. That's the international signal. Buy one that is penetrating and has a long ring. That way, people can hear it and with the long ring, they can tell where the sound is coming from.
Yup, that's what I've finally done. I have a very nice ENE bell on one bike and an old Reich bell that I've rigged to easily install on any of the stems of the other bikes. They do work well. As I approach people I gently and nicely ring the bell. If no response I ring it some more. And if still no response, more and more until I'm hammering it constantly as I sweep past. Some people are absolutely clueless and I care not what they think. I'm still alive and they earned it.

Lets just say that my call outs, "on your left", are somewhat muffled this year. I use the bells now.
Likes For Prowler:
Old 11-17-20, 07:56 AM
easyupbug 

Bikes: too many sparkly Italians, some sweet Americans and a couple interesting Japanese

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 560 Post(s)
Liked 546 Times in 396 Posts
Originally Posted by Yelbom15
Is there a life style responsibility when owning a brand?
It is not a tea cup the queen gave you so ride it like you want. That said for me anyway, and clearly not for you, I find some of your mentioned activities while riding too risky as the consequence could be high even if you deem the likelihood very low.
Old 11-17-20, 08:57 AM
cudak888 
www.theheadbadge.com

Is there a life style responsibility when owning a brand?
If you have to ask this question, you need to re-assess who's running your life.

-Kurt

Old 11-17-20, 09:08 AM
RobbieTunes
Banned.

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 378 Post(s)
Liked 1,407 Times in 908 Posts
Two people, both of whom own the path.
Conflicting self-serving hubrisii.

A gentle bell and a smiling face do better a passing make.
or NOT!
Likes For RobbieTunes:
Old 11-17-20, 09:33 AM
Happy Feet

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 2236 Post(s)
Liked 1,313 Times in 706 Posts
Now let's juxipose this question with another: Is it ok to lay your bike on the ground, drive side down?
Old 11-17-20, 11:21 AM
cudak888 
www.theheadbadge.com

Originally Posted by Happy Feet
Now let's juxipose this question with another: Is it ok to lay your bike on the ground, drive side down?
Only on Thursdays between 3 and 5pm.

Pacific time.

-Kurt

Old 11-17-20, 11:34 AM
capt_velo

Bikes: 1988 Gitane Team Replica, 2022 Trek Top Fuel 9.8

Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 35 Posts
For the record, I was riding at a leisurely pace, probably around 10 MPH. I didn't just sneak up on her. Whatever she was listening to was too loud and I doubt a bell would've helped.
Old 11-17-20, 11:43 AM
sykerocker 

Bikes: The keepers: 1958 Raleigh Lenton Grand Prix, 1968 Ranger, 1969 Magneet Sprint, 1971 Gitane Tour de France, 1973 Raleigh Tourist, 3 - 1986 Rossins, and a '77 PX-10 frame in process.

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 221 Post(s)
Liked 237 Times in 129 Posts
I've always been rather gentle on any bicycles (and motorcycles, and cars) that I've owned, so I tend to ride them in the mode they were originally designed for. Oh, I ride them, in all sorts of weather, but I've never been one to spend major money on anything and then beat it.

“No one in this world, so far as I know — and I have searched the records for years, and employed agents to help me — has ever lost money by underestimating the intelligence of the great masses of the plain people. Nor has anyone ever lost public office thereby.”

H.L. Mencken, (1926)

Old 11-17-20, 11:59 AM
CargoDane
Not a newbie to cycling

For the record, I was riding at a leisurely pace, probably around 10 MPH. I didn't just sneak up on her. Whatever she was listening to was too loud and I doubt a bell would've helped.
A man's voice usually doesn't travel all that well, nor is it easy to tell the direction of it (because it is deep). You just hear someone yelp something (a voice, no words), and only when the person is right on your tail or have already crossed your rear axle. It fine to shout when you ride with your buddies at the same time (i,e, shout to each other), but a clear bell carries longer and is easier to tell direction from.
Old 11-17-20, 12:04 PM
CargoDane
Not a newbie to cycling

Originally Posted by sykerocker
I've always been rather gentle on any bicycles (and motorcycles, and cars) that I've owned, so I tend to ride them in the mode they were originally designed for. Oh, I ride them, in all sorts of weather, but I've never been one to spend major money on anything and then beat it.
I do tend to beat bikes and so on into submission, but I have learned, and now try to buy stuff that can take it - at least take most of it. This is the reason I have Andra 40 rims, Sapim steel spokes and brass nipples, and I obviously let a professional built them for me so they'll last longer. This is also the reason I have a Saint crankset (heavy!) and Saint brakes.
Old 11-17-20, 01:48 PM
Tomm Willians

Bikes: Subject to change at any given moment but currently is...... Colnago Mapei, Colnago C40, Wilier Triestina Carbon, Wilier Triestina Ramato, Follis 472, Peugeot PX60, Razesa, Orbea Terra, Soma Pescadero and 1/2 owner of a Santana tandem.

Quoted: 322 Post(s)
Liked 774 Times in 260 Posts
I will offer my view while not criticizing anyone who feels different as it might be easy to become involved is such an exchange. My position is that good condition vintage bikes become harder to find every year, lots of junk out there but not much that catches my eye.
I treat my vintage bikes like valuable pieces of art and care for them the best I can until I decide to move them onto someone else who hopefully feels the same way.
However I also ride bikes ( modern) that are designed specifically to ride hard, get dirty and have more aggressive fun. It would kill me to see someone using a vintage Colnago or DeRosa for their gravel bike but that is the privilege of ownership.
Old 11-19-20, 10:56 AM
aceSSone

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
I recently bought a 1985 Colnago Super with Campagnolo attached and ride this beautiful thing as if it were a cheap fixed gear through out my city streets. Jumping side walks, passing up cars on streets who are too busy texting, adjusting my headphones and going with the flow. There seems to be a culture or even cliques within the biking community who would frown upon such actions.

Out of all curiosity, what are your opinions when it comes to riding certain brands and models. Is there a life style responsibility when owning a brand?
I think you are attaching the clique, culture or genre to the wrong thing. It's not the bike, it's your actions. The bicycle is a vehicle, by law. It should be ridden by the law. Anything less, in the eyes of the non-riding public, brings down the whole cycling community. That is what the rest of us don't appreciate.
Likes For aceSSone:
Old 11-19-20, 12:39 PM
aceSSone

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
On the contrary, the elitist thinks rules aren't for him. (that would be YOU).
Old 11-19-20, 12:43 PM
aceSSone

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by cudak888
You want to bring A&S into here? Fine.

It so happens I do give a damn that someone can be so narrow-minded to throw things like this on the Board of Things Thou Shall Deem Uncooth - especially when it has jack to do with C&V.

First, there are certain vintage bicycles that were made for curb jumping and other similar maneuvers - BMX, for one. You're saying an entire subculture of bicycling is not OK.

Secondly, cars ≠ bicycles, and you can't blindly apply the chasm of suitable facilities to both. That type of thinking led to vehicular cycling, which has led to 40+ years of piss-poor bicycle infrastructure for riders to get killed on.

This same auto-centric approach has led to a general indifference amongst traffic engineers and cities to provide safe bicycle facilities for riders. As such, every now and then, a bass-ackward city planner will force you to jump a city curb on something not originally intended for it, e.g., a commuter bike. You can't correlate this with motor vehicles, because road engineers take comparatively great pains to make sure such things do not happen to motorists.

Whatever the reason, someday, you might be on an old bike and find yourself in a situation where you have to jump a curb. I've curb jumped my '51 Raleigh Sports before because I had to. I knew I could do it, and I knew the old boat anchor could do it as well, so I did it. Maybe safety nannies and petty elitists like you lose their minds over it, but I'm not letting them, you, or a city planner prevent me from getting to my destination over a curb hop.

Rant out.

-Kurt
On the contrary, elitists think they are above the rules, (that would be you). Never mind the elitist impression you make to non-riders that reflects on the rest of us.
Old 11-19-20, 12:47 PM
cudak888 
www.theheadbadge.com

Originally Posted by aceSSone
On the contrary, elitists think they are above the rules, (that would be you). Never mind the elitist impression you make to non-riders that reflects on the rest of us.
You're ignoring the fact that rules like "no curb hopping" were invented by elitists.

-Kurt

Old 11-19-20, 01:03 PM
aceSSone

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by cudak888
You're ignoring the fact that rules like "no curb hopping" were invented by elitists.

-Kurt
Your definition of elitist is highly questionable, as I stated above. Curbs are to identify the road surface for vehicles and protect pedestrians from vehicles. Bicycle laws were written long before you were born or deemed someone else elitist.
Old 11-19-20, 01:13 PM
cudak888 
www.theheadbadge.com

I think you are attaching the clique, culture or genre to the wrong thing. It's not the bike, it's your actions. The bicycle is a vehicle, by law. It should be ridden by the law. Anything less, in the eyes of the non-riding public, brings down the whole cycling community. That is what the rest of us don't appreciate.
The "non-riding public" barely know about cycling laws in the first place. Following laws to the letter is no guarantee that they will approve.

Secondly, the law does not reflect infrastructure realities - and this goes for both breaking it and following it. Here's an example based on the curb jumping behavior you frown on:

A bike lane (or sharrow) may have signage that requires you, by law (likely a combination of state statute + city code), to detour onto a multiple use path/sidewalk (problematic in its own right, but often a reality). That MUP/sidewalk ends at a non ADA-compliant curb corner with no ramp, where there are markings to indicate the bike lane or sharrow continues directly from this curb.

The rider can dismount and remount, or they can hop off the curb. The former is a pain and distinctly disrespectful of both bicycle riders, wheelchair users (not ADA compliant, so also illegal infrastructure), and people walking who have limited sight (I doubt a non-ramped curb would have tactile pavers at it's corner, so that's another ADA violation). The latter is a workaround over this disrespectful infrastructure which causes no real harm on the part of the rider.

Come to think of it, I can't think of a city with a curb-hopping ordinance, so the argument that it's against the law doesn't even apply.

Your definition of elitist is highly questionable, as I stated above. Curbs are to identify the road surface for vehicles and protect pedestrians from vehicles. Bicycle laws were written long before you were born or deemed someone else elitist.
Curbs do not protect pedestrians from vehicles. See:

https://twitter.com/KostelecPlan/status/1316105618374107136
and
https://twitter.com/KostelecPlan/status/1329498333400813568

Bollards have a much better ability to do so.

Bicycle laws continue to be written and revised following my birth and to this day. In fact, my local County Commission is hearing a resolution today regarding the codification of expedited procedures and policies to create new, safe bicycle and pedestrian infrastructure. EDIT: It passed

And to reiterate, I've yet to see a bicycle curb hopping law. (That's not to say there isn't an obscure municipality out there with that on the books, but that's just it: It's obscure).

-Kurt

Last edited by cudak888; 11-19-20 at 07:27 PM.
Likes For cudak888:

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.