Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Disc brake pads not "returning"??

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-20, 10:30 AM
rbrides
Curmudgeon

Bikes: Specialized Diverge Comp

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 157 Post(s)
Liked 32 Times in 28 Posts

I've had an intermittent issue with my Shimano hydraulic front disc brakes all year. Very often, when I release the brake level, I hear a "tinging" sound, as if one or both of the pads have not retracted fully into the caliper. It is very annoying. Many, many times I have put the bike on the repair stand and adjusted the caliper by loosening the bolts, squeezing the lever, tightening the bolts back while holding the lever, all to center the caliper to the disc. It usually spins on the stand without issue. but it often returns again on rides.

I have done all sorts of things the resolve this. Replaced the discs, replace pads, cleaned the caliper pistons (at least the small portion that protrudes from the caliper, a method described by Park Tools), adjusted and readjusted the caliper again and again it but always just comes back. When fell rides ask "whats that noise" it is annoying. Sometimes it I can ride for days without it occurring, but it eventually comes back. Aggravating. I feel the only solution left is to replace the whole caliper but that just seems expensive. The bike is less than a year old. When I have taken it to the bike shop they get the same result on the repair stand I described above and say its fixed. I need a true, permanent resolution.
Old 11-15-20, 10:34 AM
CargoDane
Not a newbie to cycling

Bikes: Omnium Cargo Ti with Rohloff, Bullitt Milk Plus, Dahon Smooth Hound

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 356 Post(s)
Liked 323 Times in 199 Posts
Could it be the piston at the lever somehow?
Likes For CargoDane:
Old 11-15-20, 10:35 AM
ridelikeaturtle

Bikes: Bianchi Ti Megatube; Colnago Competition; Planet-X EC-130E; Klein Pulse; Amp Research B4; Litespeed Catalyst; Trek Y11

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 600 Post(s)
Liked 478 Times in 258 Posts
Are there little pins on which the pads slide? Copper anti-seize compound, or some form of wheel bearing grease. Regardless, the caliper will need regular cleaning and maintenance, that's the true "permanent" solution.
Likes For ridelikeaturtle:
Old 11-15-20, 12:58 PM
GamblerGORD53

Bikes: 2013 Custom SA5w / Rohloff Tourster

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1233 Post(s)
Liked 318 Times in 245 Posts
I would throw those crazy gimmicks in the garbage. Is this a mudder bike? What the hell is the point of hydraulic?
My TRP cable Spyres work 100% every time on my Rohloff 203 disc, stops instantly any time I want with not much effort. The rear line is very long too. Adjustment is seldom and very unfinicky.
I have SA long pull levers and resin pads. Over 4,000 miles. I haven't broken a cable in 40 years. Lots of times I cut an old rear cable down to use on the front.

Last edited by GamblerGORD53; 11-15-20 at 01:07 PM.
Likes For GamblerGORD53:
Old 11-15-20, 01:12 PM
CargoDane
Not a newbie to cycling

Originally Posted by GamblerGORD53
I would throw those crazy gimmicks in the garbage. Is this a mudder bike? What the hell is the point of hydraulic?
My TRP cable Spyres work 100% every time on my Rohloff 203 disc, stops instantly any time I want with not much effort. The rear line is very long too. Adjustment is seldom and very unfinicky.
I have SA long pull levers and resin pads. Over 4,000 miles. I haven't broken a cable in 40 years. Lots of times I cut an old rear cable down to use on the front.
Erm, in mud and snow, hydraulics shine over wired "things" needing to slide inside hoses (be it gears or brakes). And discs shine even more over rim brakes - especially in mud.
Even "mud bikes" are usually used on asphalt too. Hell, I use Saints DH brakes on my bike. You can never have too much stopping power.
Likes For CargoDane:
Old 11-15-20, 04:04 PM
TiHabanero

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1741 Post(s)
Liked 1,369 Times in 718 Posts
Rotor warp from heat. Sometimes it can be trued out, other times not and you just deal with it or replace it.
Likes For TiHabanero:
Old 11-16-20, 09:16 AM
BenBoozer

Bikes: 2020 Domane SL 5, 2016 Crossrip Comp

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 50 Times in 17 Posts
I have a very similar issue with the front brake on my 3 month old Domane SL5 with 105 components. When releasing the front lever, neither it or the pads retracted correctly. I could push the lever with my finger back to the starting position which also moved the pads off the rotor. Shimano said it was an issue with the master cylinder and is sending out a new brake lever for the LBS to replace under warranty. I suggest you have your shop do some more digging before your warranty expires.
Likes For BenBoozer:
Old 11-16-20, 05:31 PM
rbrides
Curmudgeon

I suppose it could. I don't know.
Old 11-16-20, 05:34 PM
rbrides
Curmudgeon

Originally Posted by ridelikeaturtle
Are there little pins on which the pads slide? Copper anti-seize compound, or some form of wheel bearing grease. Regardless, the caliper will need regular cleaning and maintenance, that's the true "permanent" solution.
I would not feel comfortable putting grease that near the pads and disc. The potential for it to get on the brakes is risky, in my opinion.
Old 11-16-20, 05:34 PM
CargoDane
Not a newbie to cycling

Can you swap the hoses (only at the levers) so the left one activates the rear and vice versa and then bleed them? If it's now the other wheel doing it, you have your answer.
Likes For CargoDane:
Old 11-16-20, 05:36 PM
rbrides
Curmudgeon

The rotors are slightly out-of-true and I've trued them with the Park Tool. maybe just not enough.
Old 11-17-20, 01:16 AM
ridelikeaturtle

Bikes: Bianchi Ti Megatube; Colnago Competition; Planet-X EC-130E; Klein Pulse; Amp Research B4; Litespeed Catalyst; Trek Y11

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 600 Post(s)
Liked 478 Times in 258 Posts
Originally Posted by rbrides
I would not feel comfortable putting grease that near the pads and disc. The potential for it to get on the brakes is risky, in my opinion.
We're talking about applying a thin layer with your finger, not lobbing it on from across the room.

You can also smear copper anti-seize onto the back of the pads, to help stop them from squealing. Again, a thin layer.
Old 11-17-20, 04:46 AM
rbrides
Curmudgeon

Originally Posted by ridelikeaturtle
We're talking about applying a thin layer with your finger, not lobbing it on from across the room.

You can also smear copper anti-seize onto the back of the pads, to help stop them from squealing. Again, a thin layer.
Thanks for clarifying.