Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Hybrid Bicycles
Reload this Page >

Thread for Specialized Sirrus

Search
Notices
Hybrid Bicycles Where else would you go to discuss these fun, versatile bikes?

Thread for Specialized Sirrus

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-20, 10:59 AM
BiciMan

Bikes: '97 Bianchi CDI, '97 Specialized RockHopper, '13 Specialized Sirrus Pro, '13 Trek 8.5 DS, '13 BH EasyMotion NeoXtrem, '14 Trek Domane, '86 Schwinn AirDyne ;)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 21 Posts
Originally Posted by GrizzledBastard
I'm about ready to drop a video on the Sirrus' carbon downtube clanking issue. I've heard complaints about it as well as on LOTS of carbon framed bikes where hoses and cable housings rattle inside when they are not given specific routing locations. On my first ride, as soon as I hit a stretch of road I often refer to as "Streets of Roubaix" where the asphalt is cracking and lifting and makes for some harshly rough riding, my X 5.0 was making unbearable chattering sounds. Being carbon, sound reverberates everywhere and can be very tough to pinpoint but I heard about the issue and went right to the source the next day. Problem solved but it requires a little bit of effort.
I'll look for your video, and will you include content on the time-scope of the issue. Do you know, have you heard complaints about earlier-generation (pre X-series, for instance) carbon Sirrus bikes as well? I'm happy with my 2013 aluminum Sirrus, but I'm regularly on the lookout for a choice rim-brake carbon Sirrus. Thanks.
Old 12-05-20, 02:37 PM
Way2Slow

Bikes: Specialized Sirrus X 5.0

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 12 Posts

CG-R Seatpost and BG Grips. - night and day difference with the new seat post!
Likes For Way2Slow:
Old 12-05-20, 04:22 PM
Mojo31
-------

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 9653 Post(s)
Liked 6,365 Times in 3,505 Posts
Nice add! Noting better than a smooth ride.
Old 12-06-20, 04:59 PM
Laseranimal

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 14 Posts
So due to a combination of mad scientist tinkering and some great Black Friday sales on bike parts I present to you the latest Specialized Sirrus Prototype!!

I even rewrote their marketing copy for them :-)

"This thing called ‘hybrid bike’ is still evolving, still being defined. What’s next? Hop on the new Sirrus Sport EVO and you tell us. It’s designed to get aggressive, to push the boundaries of what we thought was possible on a hybrid bike. With drop bars and geometry even more progressive than the flat bar Sirrus its perfect for your next great adventure!"

Should I have sold the Sirrus and just bought a new bike? I dunno The biggest expense was the shifters and I got those new for $160, Mechanical Disk brakes cost another $80, and another $40 on bar tape. Drop bar came from the FR30 when I upgraded and I already had a 100mm stem on the Sirrus already. Throw in another $40 for cables I figure I'm at $320 for the conversion. Add $80 for the gravelking SK's(which I was going to buy anyway) and I'm at around $400 for the whole process. I figure I'd get $500-600 for the flat bar Sirrus if I sold it add the $400 for parts and I'm still short of anything comparable. That puts me at about $1000 which doesn't get me anywhere near base spec on a new bike and there really isn't much in the way of used stock right now.

I've got a perfectly amazing Felt FR30 if I want to spend all day on pavement and I really didn't want to buy another road bike and throw wide tires on it. I felt like I'd just wind up with a slower heavier road bike that would compromise that playful feel that I love so much in my Sirrus.. I looked at gravel bikes but I didn't really like the gearing on them, I'm much happier keeping the 50/34 I have currently set up. So anything else I bought was going to require yet more $$ to upgrade to get it where I wanted it to be.

As for the can't put drop bars on a hybrid because you'll mess up the geometry I think that's more a function of your frame size. I'm used to being really low and long on my Felt FR so the Sirrus with a drop bar is more upright. I'm also sized down on the Sirrus, as I was in between the M and the L and went for the smaller size, it might be a different conversation if I had a larger frame.

All and all it was a fun build and I'm super happy with the results so far.
Likes For Laseranimal:
Old 12-06-20, 07:27 PM
Jagamov

Bikes: Specialized Roll Elite LTD, Sirrus X 5.0, Allez Elite

Liked 33 Times in 20 Posts
Nice work!!

I’m all for making a bike your own and whatever leads to riding it more. Hope you enjoy the new setup.
Old 12-08-20, 07:18 AM
hokiefyd 

Bikes: More bikes than riders

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1446 Post(s)
Liked 762 Times in 570 Posts
Originally Posted by Laseranimal
As for the can't put drop bars on a hybrid because you'll mess up the geometry I think that's more a function of your frame size.
I agree with that. If your flat bar bike is already on the large size and the bike's geometry has a pretty long effective top tube, then moving the grip area (hoods) out another 100mm from where flat bar grips were will certainly stretch you out and you'll feel it. If, on the other hand, your bike is on the smaller side or its effective top tube is pretty reasonable or even shorter than you'd prefer, then a drop bar could add some beneficial reach. Of course, another option is pairing a drop bar with a much shorter stem, if one wanted to try to reduce the increase in reach.

Having said that, road bikes do indeed tend to have different front end geometry -- geometry that tends to work better with narrower bars and such. Head tube angles on many hybrids are typically slacker than that on road bikes, and trail is also typically higher. This often means the bike can take a little more effort to steer than a purpose-built road bike. Of course, the ranges we're talking about here are somewhat wide and almost certainly overlap in many cases. It definitely depends on the specific bike in question, its geometry, what one is used to or expecting out of a conversion, etc.

Great work on that Sirrus. It looks nice a fun bike.
Old 12-08-20, 07:53 AM
Laseranimal

One more photo from a colder, wetter, and muddier gravel ride yesterday. Gotta love Central Florida where it goes from 70* to 45* overnight!

Likes For Laseranimal:
Old 12-08-20, 11:27 AM
hokiefyd 

One more photo from a colder, wetter, and muddier gravel ride yesterday. Gotta love Central Florida where it goes from 70* to 45* overnight!
The hallmark of an airmass with a low dewpoint -- something you Floridians don't see very often!
Old 12-08-20, 05:40 PM
timgriffin2

Bikes: 2020 Specialized Sirrus 3.0

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 32 Posts
You're braver than me (just NW of Tampa). I've switched to afternoon rides lately to wait for the Florida sun to do it's work warming up the day. It's a great time of year to ride here.
Old 12-08-20, 05:56 PM
Laseranimal

Originally Posted by timgriffin2
You're braver than me (just NW of Tampa). I've switched to afternoon rides lately to wait for the Florida sun to do it's work warming up the day. It's a great time of year to ride here.
I'm a transplant so even after 6 years I'm still a flinty New Englander at heart so I enjoy the cold
Old 12-13-20, 11:59 AM
BiciMan

Bikes: '97 Bianchi CDI, '97 Specialized RockHopper, '13 Specialized Sirrus Pro, '13 Trek 8.5 DS, '13 BH EasyMotion NeoXtrem, '14 Trek Domane, '86 Schwinn AirDyne ;)

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 21 Posts
So due to a combination of mad scientist tinkering and some great Black Friday sales on bike parts I present to you the latest Specialized Sirrus Prototype!!

I even rewrote their marketing copy for them :-)

"This thing called ‘hybrid bike’ is still evolving, still being defined. What’s next? Hop on the new Sirrus Sport EVO and you tell us. It’s designed to get aggressive, to push the boundaries of what we thought was possible on a hybrid bike. With drop bars and geometry even more progressive than the flat bar Sirrus its perfect for your next great adventure!"

Should I have sold the Sirrus and just bought a new bike? I dunno The biggest expense was the shifters and I got those new for $160, Mechanical Disk brakes cost another $80, and another $40 on bar tape. Drop bar came from the FR30 when I upgraded and I already had a 100mm stem on the Sirrus already. Throw in another $40 for cables I figure I'm at $320 for the conversion. Add $80 for the gravelking SK's(which I was going to buy anyway) and I'm at around $400 for the whole process. I figure I'd get $500-600 for the flat bar Sirrus if I sold it add the $400 for parts and I'm still short of anything comparable. That puts me at about $1000 which doesn't get me anywhere near base spec on a new bike and there really isn't much in the way of used stock right now.

I've got a perfectly amazing Felt FR30 if I want to spend all day on pavement and I really didn't want to buy another road bike and throw wide tires on it. I felt like I'd just wind up with a slower heavier road bike that would compromise that playful feel that I love so much in my Sirrus.. I looked at gravel bikes but I didn't really like the gearing on them, I'm much happier keeping the 50/34 I have currently set up. So anything else I bought was going to require yet more $$ to upgrade to get it where I wanted it to be.

As for the can't put drop bars on a hybrid because you'll mess up the geometry I think that's more a function of your frame size. I'm used to being really low and long on my Felt FR so the Sirrus with a drop bar is more upright. I'm also sized down on the Sirrus, as I was in between the M and the L and went for the smaller size, it might be a different conversation if I had a larger frame.

All and all it was a fun build and I'm super happy with the results so far.
Very interesting, in part because I've thought of doing the reverse with my Domane, because its geometry is so right for me, and I can't find a flat-bar ride that compares. Also, I have a custom MTB because I had to have modern full suspension, but 26" wheels, and GripShift shifting like on my '97 Rockhopper. It fits me great, and that's what mattered! Sometimes, imagining and creating your own is the way to go. As for your creation, I recall that when I bought my Sirrus, the saleswoman was comparing it to an aluminum Roubaix; I wonder how close you've gotten to one. I wouldn't consider this for my Sirrus, nor bite on your marketing, but I agree with your geometry perspective: it's what works for your frame and tastes, even regardless of pro fitting professionals -NOT that there's anything wrong about pro fitting. Enjoy your unique custom ride!
Old 12-13-20, 12:36 PM
justbob

Bikes: Specialized Sirrus x 4, Specialized Tricross Sport (sold)

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
I have been on the hunt for a new flat bar bike and settled on the Sirrus X 4.0. Locating one has been a challenging task under the current circumstances. The good news is I have found one. It's a Large and 100 miles from my location. They are moving the bike from one of their other stores in that area to one closer to shorten my drive. The bike will be moved this Wednesday and I will travel this Friday to check fitting and testing and buying, if fitting works.

I have benefited from others on this forum about the Specialized Sirrus and choosing the best fit for them. My size at 67 years of age is 5'11" and inseam 30" (maybe 30.5"). So, I will only be able to try the Large. Wish I could compare it with a Medium. I have read that some found the Sirrus sizing to be somewhat on the larger size. I'm wondering about the Medium vs Large experience others have had with buying this bike?
Old 12-13-20, 02:19 PM
Jagamov

Bikes: Specialized Roll Elite LTD, Sirrus X 5.0, Allez Elite

More upgrades done.

Did the Gator Hardshells a few weeks back.

This weekend: SRAM Force 1 Carbon Cranks. It was an easy swap since I already had Apex 1’s and the GXP BB already done at the LBS for the old recall.

Love how they look. Now if it would stop raining and warm up a bit.

Now I love a new wheel set...any suggestions? Not carbon...just a good set that doesn’t break the bank. Maybe DT Swiss ER 1600’s?

Likes For Jagamov:
Old 12-13-20, 06:22 PM
Way2Slow

Bikes: Specialized Sirrus X 5.0

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 12 Posts
Originally Posted by justbob
I have been on the hunt for a new flat bar bike and settled on the Sirrus X 4.0. Locating one has been a challenging task under the current circumstances. The good news is I have found one. It's a Large and 100 miles from my location. They are moving the bike from one of their other stores in that area to one closer to shorten my drive. The bike will be moved this Wednesday and I will travel this Friday to check fitting and testing and buying, if fitting works.

I have benefited from others on this forum about the Specialized Sirrus and choosing the best fit for them. My size at 67 years of age is 5'11" and inseam 30" (maybe 30.5"). So, I will only be able to try the Large. Wish I could compare it with a Medium. I have read that some found the Sirrus sizing to be somewhat on the larger size. I'm wondering about the Medium vs Large experience others have had with buying this bike?
Im' 5'9" with 30" inseam and I have a M X5, hope that helps, good luck!
Likes For Way2Slow:
Old 12-13-20, 06:39 PM
justbob

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Thanks Wat2Slow. Yes it helps. I may be ordering a Medium after I test / fit the Large Sirrus x4.
Old 12-13-20, 10:06 PM
badger1

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1581 Post(s)
Liked 1,189 Times in 605 Posts

Is your 'inseam' a true cycling inseam measurement (i.e. barefoot on floor; floor to snugly up into crotch), or trouser leg length? It matters!

FWIW, I ride a M Sirrus X carbon (now the 5.0); I'm 5'8", with a true cycling inseam of 33" -- so long legs (and arms), and relatively short torso. I'm 69. The bike fits me perfectly (pic below), mainly because of my longish legs, combined with the highish stack (vertical height at the front end) of these frames, but they do tend to be a bit 'big' vertically (stack; stand-over) size-for-size compared to some. Also useful to know that the frame reach is within a very few millimetres between Medium and Large. In other words, as far as reach to the bars is concerned you could easily make a M fit you, whereas if the L 'feels' too big vertically (and it might), there's absolutely nothing you can do about it. Just something to consider.

I'd test the Large, for sure, but if you can also get on a Medium for comparison that would be wise. Doesn't need to be the specific bike you're looking at -- any current Sirrus has the same geometry, so would be a useful fit comparator.

Likes For badger1:
Old 12-14-20, 06:54 AM
hokiefyd 

It usually is easier to make a smaller frame fit a larger rider than make a larger frame fit a smaller rider. If you're on the large side for a medium, you can raise the seat post to the needed length and get a longer and/or higher stem to go along with that if needed or desired. But you can't shorten a long frame. You can shorten the stem and replace the handlebar with a more swept-back bar to help with reach. But if your standover is a little close with the top tube of the frame...then there's not a whole lot that can be done about that. If you wear inseam 30 pants, then your true inseam is probably 32 or 33". That's probably a little close with a large frame...so it'll be good to try before you buy.
Likes For hokiefyd:
Old 12-14-20, 07:10 AM
justbob

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Thanks badger,
yes the inseam is measurement was from the floor barefoot up snugly up into the crotch. It is slightly over 30".
Old 12-14-20, 07:19 AM
justbob

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Thanks hokiefyd,
once i get to see and try the large Sirrus x4.0 this Friday if I'm hesitant on the large I will ask they order a Medium size. I currently own a Specialized Tricoss 2008 year model that is a Large. It has always seemed to be slightly larger (and lofty) than I would have liked while riding. Lowering the seat post helped but I always tilted the bike when mounting and dismounting. Love the bike but my riding posture at my age makes it difficult to see forward and is less enjoyable.
Old 12-14-20, 09:29 AM
badger1

Thanks badger,
yes the inseam is measurement was from the floor barefoot up snugly up into the crotch. It is slightly over 30".
Cheers!

Not to belabour the point, and of course only you will know which size works best for you, but fwiw given that measurement and your other comments I really would want to try the M in this frame if I were you. The L in this frame is a really, really 'tall' bike.
Likes For badger1:
Old 12-14-20, 09:49 AM
banjaboy

Bikes: Focus Izalco Pro 3.0 Specialized Sirrus 6.0 Genesis Core 50

Quoted: 34 Post(s)

Here she is very stealth looking and its fast just sitting there, love the matte finish
Likes For banjaboy:
Old 12-14-20, 09:51 AM
banjaboy

My plain old boring Sirrus 6.0 before I 2000 k on it these last few weeks, too many bikes, dont know which one to ride. All I know is the geometry on this is absolutely......................right, thats all I can say. it fits me like a glove, 56cm and I'm 6ft tall, I love love LOVE this bike.
Old 12-14-20, 09:54 AM
badger1

Originally Posted by banjaboy

Here she is very stealth looking and its fast just sitting there, love the matte finish
Sigh. From The Island myself, first 40 years before ending up out here in the frozen wastes. Van ain't Vic, but your pic still makes me homesick.

Oh ... and lovely bike!
Old 12-14-20, 10:02 AM
banjaboy

Hey, Hi Badger!!! I actually in Whiterock, just outside Vancouver. I LOVE Ontarion too, the countryside driving out to Niagra, beautiful, reminds me of my old country, England. You have a rural, gentle topography, we have the rugged stuff. The island is beautiful too, no doubt but the ferry really isolates it, swhich is god if you live there. Nice meeting you
Old 12-14-20, 03:23 PM
hokiefyd 

Thanks hokiefyd, once i get to see and try the large Sirrus x4.0 this Friday if I'm hesitant on the large I will ask they order a Medium size.
If they have the option to order one in (availability, it's in the warehouse, etc.), then I would definitely recommend not buying until they can get that bike in and assembled. It shouldn't be any hardship on the shop (they'll probably sell it the same day they assemble it if you turn it down), and it'll give you a lot of confidence that you bought the right size, having been able to try both.
Likes For hokiefyd:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.