Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Italian saddles - which sit furthest forward?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-21, 09:37 AM
flx100

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 7 Posts

Hey!
I have a nice mid-70's Tommasini track bike - however the seat tube angle is very slack. I have a Chorus Titanium seatpost i'd like to use, with quite a bit of setback. It's hard to find vintage Campy seatposts long enough and without setback. Do they even exist?
Of course, being a nerd, i'd like to keep the bike all Italian.
My question is: Which of the classic Italian 70s, 80s or early 90s saddles can be pushed furthest forward on the rails?
Flite, Supercorsa Concor, Rolls, Regal, Turbo..? Any other i'm not listing?

Thanks
Old 02-07-21, 10:34 AM
Mr. 66

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 1143 Post(s)
Liked 1,740 Times in 961 Posts
I can not help on the saddle. The Ti post may not be right for your need, I usually have the opposite and desire a post with more setback.

On a selfish note, can we see your bike, post and saddle setup?
Old 02-07-21, 11:10 AM
flx100

Sure;
h

Since the picture was taken, i replaced the 90mm stem with a 110mm. The head tube is steep, so i wanted a longer stem to calm down the handling just a bit.
But i need to sit a little further forward. So at the moment i have a Thomson 0-setback post on it. But would love to use the Chorus Titanium post, it's such a pretty one. That's why i'm specifically asking about the saddles.
Thanks again!
ttps://www.ped319783
Likes For flx100:
Old 02-07-21, 02:26 PM
Sir_Name 

Bikes: are fun!

Mentioned: 66 Post(s)
Quoted: 466 Post(s)
Liked 864 Times in 273 Posts
Originally Posted by flx100
Since the picture was taken, i replaced the 90mm stem with a 110mm. The head tube is steep, so i wanted a longer stem to calm down the handling just a bit.
But i need to sit a little further forward. So at the moment i have a Thomson 0-setback post on it. But would love to use the Chorus Titanium post, it's such a pretty one. That's why i'm specifically asking about the saddles.
Thanks again!
ttps://www.ped319783
Beautiful bike! FWIW, I’d suggest setting the saddle for/aft position to get your hips and body position happy relative to the BB, then use stem length to get the right reach. Whatever works, though. Enjoy!
Likes For Sir_Name:
Old 02-07-21, 03:07 PM
flx100

Thanks - yeah i know, the 0-setback seatpost makes up for the slack ST angle, and gives me a good position relative to the BB. So all good there - i just would really like to use that Ti seatpost - which is why i'm asking about the saddles.. I know it's not the right way of going about it - but i'm vain, what can i say!
Likes For flx100:
Old 02-07-21, 03:18 PM
repechage

Mentioned: 130 Post(s)
Quoted: 3464 Post(s)
Liked 2,829 Times in 1,995 Posts
I have one, comfortable (comparable to a Unicanitor) if that is tolerable.
I set it aside as it perches one way too far forward, even all the way back I was like 2+cm farther forward than I wanted to be.
I will reference the name, I recall it started with an I but was a name unfamiliar to me.

Know all about track bikes with slack seat angles... might be good on a 6 Day track or for a pursuit? Not for a general purpose or sprint bike.
Likes For repechage:
Old 02-07-21, 03:24 PM
flx100

Originally Posted by repechage
I have one, comfortable (comparable to a Unicanitor) if that is tolerable.
I set it aside as it perches one way too far forward, even all the way back I was like 2+cm farther forward than I wanted to be.
I will reference the name, I recall it started with an I but was a name unfamiliar to me.

Know all about track bikes with slack seat angles... might be good on a 6 Day track or for a pursuit? Not for a general purpose or sprint bike.
Interesting!
I would love to know the name if you happen to find out. And I forgot about the Unicanitor! Do you think the Unicanitor might have the same forward position?
Old 02-07-21, 03:32 PM
repechage

Originally Posted by flx100
Interesting!
I would love to know the name if you happen to find out. And I forgot about the Unicanitor! Do you think the Unicanitor might have the same forward position?
No, the Cinelli set me in the "correct" spot, the other placed me way farther forward.

Later today.
Old 02-07-21, 03:49 PM
repechage

Ok, had to stop at work- Muudialita or Mundialita, made in Italy, probably as much padding as a Cinelli #4
set a Cinelli #3 and compared, it looks to me that the M' saddle had a shorter adjustment range that is set farther aft, pushing the saddle forward.
if one attempted to mount the saddle all the way to gain the most forward position, then the M' saddle would be 15mm farther forward at the nose.
overall lengths of the two are very similar, but the shape must be different as I sit farther forward on the M' saddle

the spelling appears different on the sides and the back, the back the U looks like an N in, script on both locations. So, reference both spellings.
Never heard of it before I bought a used bike last year.
Old 02-07-21, 03:55 PM
dddd
Ride, Wrench, Swap, Race

Bikes: Cheltenham-Pedersen racer, Boulder F/S Paris-Roubaix, Varsity racer, '52 Christophe, '62 Continental, '92 Merckx, '75 Limongi, '76 Presto, '72 Gitane SC, '71 Schwinn SS, etc.

Mentioned: 132 Post(s)
Quoted: 1565 Post(s)
Liked 1,296 Times in 866 Posts
I'm in the same boat with most of the bikes I build and ride, since my legs are proportionally long and even more so since I favor a more aggressive of forward position over the pedals.

It's not just how far forward that the saddle is positioned, it also has to do with the shape of the saddle, i.e. where on the saddle top that the width flares out. This has left me confused many times until I identified a seemingly favorable saddle (WTB Lazer) that flares out more toward the front than some of my other saddles. I limit myself to saddles with a fairly broad, flat and soft nose because this suits my light weight, so the saddles I use are usually designated for both mtb and road use. No super-light saddles for me.

But I still am still always hunting for bargains on zero-setback posts. I often run the rails fully forward in the clamp of a setback post and have become comfortable with how this looks.
On this new-old bike that I set up this week, the Serfas Tegu Sport mtb saddle has a long nose even relative to it's long overall length, so it does nothing to help with my need for a zero-offset post even though the rails run almost to the back of the saddle. It's not a vintage bike, so I will be installing the zero-setback post that I have ordered.

Likes For dddd:
Old 02-07-21, 04:17 PM
flx100

Ok, had to stop at work- Muudialita or Mundialita, made in Italy, probably as much padding as a Cinelli #4
set a Cinelli #3 and compared, it looks to me that the M' saddle had a shorter adjustment range that is set farther aft, pushing the saddle forward.
if one attempted to mount the saddle all the way to gain the most forward position, then the M' saddle would be 15mm farther forward at the nose.
overall lengths of the two are very similar, but the shape must be different as I sit farther forward on the M' saddle

the spelling appears different on the sides and the back, the back the U looks like an N in, script on both locations. So, reference both spellings.
Never heard of it before I bought a used bike last year.
Mundialita! Thank you so much!
Yes, i see multiple spellings. Is it this one? Looks like it's made by Selle Italia Munditalia burgundy sued saddle (NOS/NIB) | velociao
the site has the spelling as MundITALIA.
(The burgundy would have looked amazing on my bike, btw)
Old 02-07-21, 04:58 PM
repechage

pretty close, the one I have only has single color on the flanks and the tail from behind is slightly different,
upon close inspection mine appears to have an inner decorative shell to hide the raw edge of the cover. I think that accounts for the difference.
Likes For repechage:
Old 02-07-21, 05:22 PM
flx100

pretty close, the one I have only has single color on the flanks and the tail from behind is slightly different,
upon close inspection mine appears to have an inner decorative shell to hide the raw edge of the cover. I think that accounts for the difference.
thanks so much for the help