Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Tips for buying air compressor online

Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Old 03-28-21, 07:43 AM
Noonievut

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 286 Post(s)
Liked 261 Times in 129 Posts

I wanted to get an air compressor, mainly for tubeless tires on my gravel bike, but would also use for pumping other things up as needed (and if it works with them). I did a bit of searching online and I see you need the adaptor/chuck for presta...and some compressor's hoses do not have this option, so I would have to buy it separately. I'm worried with making a bad purchase. Given how little I would be using it I'm also considering skipping the whole idea and trying a DIY option (found those on you tube), or just going by an lbs to borrow theres as needed (following a purchase and/or other service of course).
Old 03-28-21, 07:55 AM
coupster

Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked 46 Times in 32 Posts
Just get a screw on presta >schraeder adapter and go to town. They cost a couple of bucks - at most - from your LBS. T'were I to replace my 30 YO Craftsman, I'd look closely at Harbor Freight's offerings. Their durability is probably not up there with the name brands, but you're not opening up a tire store either and their price is right.
Likes For coupster:
Old 03-28-21, 08:15 AM
Crankycrank

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 836 Post(s)
Liked 1,058 Times in 742 Posts
Just about any cheap, $50, 3 gallon tank compressor should be more than enough for inflating tubeless tires and small items. At that price there's not much difference in quality between mfrs. Not great for something like an inflatable kayak or air tools though. A presta chuck is probably another $15+ or, as mentioned above, you could buy these https://www.dickssportinggoods.com/p/charge-bike-valve-adaptor-19kqyuchrgvlvdptrtam/19kqyuchrgvlvdptrtam?sku=18843908&camp=CSESG_92700048853072879_lia_pla-825727524679&segment=&gclid=Cj0KCQjw0oCDBhCPARIsA which just screw on to an open presta valve and work for a Schrader chuck. You can leave them on or use them as needed but of course not as convenient as a presta chuck. 3 gallon size also works OK for blowing out dirty cartridge bearings and other dirty parts when cleaning. I've had a cheapy for about 15 years and gets used about once a month on average and also has enough capacity for seating the bead and inflating wide motorcycle tires and topping off my car tires. The air pump is starting to lose some of it's power where it put out around 100psi when new it's now around 75psi max. but for the price I'm happy it's lasted this long.
Old 03-28-21, 10:25 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6163 Post(s)
Liked 4,779 Times in 3,297 Posts
I bet I can pump to a higher pressure with my 10 dollar zefal floor pump from Walmart than you ever will be able to with your compressor.

I've got several air compressors here at the house, but I almost always grab the floor pump for my bicycle tires. But I suppose there might be a difference between me and you. I only have 25 mm 700C's to inflate. So I might change my tune if I was regularly filling up 29er's or other big tires.
Old 03-28-21, 01:23 PM
scottfsmith
I like bike

Bikes: Roubaix Comp 2020

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 267 Post(s)
Liked 283 Times in 191 Posts
I have one of these heads for inflating Presta/Schrader valves with a compressor, it includes a digital gauge as well. Depending on what comes with the compressor you may also need a hose, this thing has no hose.

Any 1-gal or larger compressor should work, I have a 3-gallon one. Having more CFMs (the rate the pressurized air comes out) could help seat tubeless tires but I never heard of any particular minimum.

Don't get the cheap car tire inflator mini-compressors, I have broken several of them and they are very slow.
Old 03-28-21, 01:53 PM
dsbrantjr

Bikes: '93 Trek 750, '92 Schwinn Crisscross, '93 Mongoose Alta

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 1438 Post(s)
Liked 1,092 Times in 723 Posts
Originally Posted by scottfsmith
...Don't get the cheap car tire inflator mini-compressors, I have broken several of them and they are very slow.
This one seems to be the exception, it attaches directly to the battery because it draws almost 30 amps, and will fill a car tire surprisingly fast: https://masterflowair.com/products/mf-1050 I have one in both of my cars. The Schrader chuck goes on and off easily with little air loss.
Old 03-28-21, 03:37 PM
rosefarts
With a mighty wind

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1084 Post(s)
Liked 854 Times in 483 Posts
Originally Posted by Iride01
I bet I can pump to a higher pressure with my 10 dollar zefal floor pump from Walmart than you ever will be able to with your compressor.

I've got several air compressors here at the house, but I almost always grab the floor pump for my bicycle tires. But I suppose there might be a difference between me and you. I only have 25 mm 700C's to inflate. So I might change my tune if I was regularly filling up 29er's or other big tires.
You most certainly can. High pressure vs high volume.

My 11 gallon Coleman can do about 60psi and maybe a little more if I messed with the knobs.

My 20 year old floor pump can and has gotten tubulars to 140psi back when that was considered a good idea.

Mounting tubeless usually requires a quick and big shot of air. Ideal for an air compressor. Some pumps have a reservoir to do the same thing but not your Walmart one. Once mounted, a little sealant sticks to the bead and the tire tends to stay in place, so they can be adjusted easily with a floor pump.
Old 03-28-21, 04:00 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Originally Posted by rosefarts
You most certainly can. High pressure vs high volume.

My 11 gallon Coleman can do about 60psi and maybe a little more if I messed with the knobs.

My 20 year old floor pump can and has gotten tubulars to 140psi back when that was considered a good idea.

Mounting tubeless usually requires a quick and big shot of air. Ideal for an air compressor. Some pumps have a reservoir to do the same thing but not your Walmart one. Once mounted, a little sealant sticks to the bead and the tire tends to stay in place, so they can be adjusted easily with a floor pump.
Yeah, that's a point I keep missing when talking about tubeless bicycle tires. I have tubeless wheel barrow tires and other tubeless tires I have to deal with when they come unseated, and the air compressor is the thing for them. But it does need to be something with either a tank or very high CFM.

I have used propane in my wheel barrow tire to seat it. I blow a little in with unlit torch and then with a long lighter, ignite it. Not something I'd recommend for those that are typically victims in the "hold my beer" crowd.
Old 03-28-21, 04:00 PM
rickpaulos

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked 146 Times in 86 Posts
By far and away the best small compressor available now is the Fortress 2 gallon at Harbor Freight. The smaller Fortress compressors(1 gallon and 2 gallon) fill up very fast and are super quiet. 0 to 100 psi in under 30 seconds. You can talk on the phone standing next to when it kicks on and they don't hear it over the phone. They claim 80% less noise and it's true. I've owned several compressors over the many years at bike shops and at home. My last was one of those cheap red pancake compressors (total junk) that sell for $40. There are many youtube videos on how fast and quiet it is. They make a 1 gallon, 2 gallon and now they have a new larger model (10 gallon horizontal) with the same 80% quieter rating. HF also sells larger Fortress compressors that are not anything special. Look for the 80% quieter label. I've see nearly identical compressors sold under other names. There is a California based company selling them too. My 2 gallon is light enough for me to haul up the scaffolding to run the nailers. Works great for bike tires, that's why I bought it. It runs my pneumanic nailers (brad, 18g, 16g) with no issues. A little more expensive than the super noisey models but well worth it. I got mine at a HF store so no shipping involved.

Our local bike coop bought a Makita 4 gallon about 6 years ago. At the time it was the quietest rated model available. It's needed several rounds of repair to stop the leaks. The layout makes it a pita to repair. And it's not all that quiet. Not super loud like those red pancake models but still too loud.

i keep tire pumps in my work shop, garage, car, at work. All are bontrager or serfas brand models. I don't have a presta adapter on the compressor. I use a tire pump with the built in gauge for any bike with pv tubes. For all the other repair bikes, I use the compressor.

Pneumatic nailers. This has been the biggest bonus of having a good compressor for light carpentry work. I've ditched all my old manual staplers and electric brad nailers. The air powered tools work vastly better and are so much easier on my hands. That awful Bostich electric nailer is gone! Woo hoo. i spent more time unjambing it that using it. The air nailers don't split the wood like the electric models do so often.
Likes For rickpaulos:
Old 03-29-21, 07:28 AM
scottfsmith
I like bike

Originally Posted by dsbrantjr
This one seems to be the exception, it attaches directly to the battery because it draws almost 30 amps, and will fill a car tire surprisingly fast: https://masterflowair.com/products/mf-1050 I have one in both of my cars. The Schrader chuck goes on and off easily with little air loss.
Thats not the cheap ones I was referring to, the cheap ones are $20.. it looks pretty sweet for car tires. It doesn't have a tank though so it won't give you the strong initial blast for seating tubeless bike tires.

I have a Stealth brand, is is the same design as the Fortress one.
Old 03-29-21, 10:02 AM
Noonievut

Quoted: 286 Post(s)
Liked 261 Times in 129 Posts
This is is the least expensive one that looks to fit the bill. $110 Canadian is reasonable. Says it comes with a bike chuck but I can't tell if that fits presta valves.

briggs--stratton-3-gallon-single-stage-portable-electric-pancake-air-compressor
Old 03-29-21, 10:10 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Some of those little air compressors can be very noisy. I had a similar one at that price point that I just left for my son several states away to have. Neither me or my wife could stand the noise it made.

I paid fifty dollars more for one that advertised itself as quiet. Worth every penny, whether Canadian or US.

Though it was at the other big box discount building supply that has orange as their color.

Last edited by Iride01; 03-29-21 at 10:15 AM.
Old 04-06-21, 05:48 PM
Keefusb
Keefusb

Bikes: 60cm 1992 Paramount, 60cm 1995 Cannondale R900 (son's bike), 1994 Cannondale H300 (mine), 1994 Cannondale H300 Killer V (wife's bike), 60 cm 1989 Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra SLX

Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 36 Posts
Buy your compressor locally at HF or Northern Tool. They are heavy and you will likely pay a lot to ship it. I bought a "Michelin" compressor on close out from Pep Boys for $50 in 2001. I used the hell out of it for years for construction projects and to pump up truck and tractor tires. I had it rebuilt by a local compressor shop about 8 years ago, and it's still going strong. It's a pain to drag it out and set it up for a quick bike tire fill-up. I usually use my trusty Topeak Joe Blow floor pump I bought in 1998 for bike tires.
Old 04-06-21, 06:02 PM
scottfsmith
I like bike

If.you are Amazon Prime the overall price is about the same; compare the below. The closest HF for me is far away or I would have gone there, it is more fun to check things out in person.

https://www.amazon.com/California-Ai.../dp/B00TDNKBMC

https://www.harborfreight.com/2-gall...sor-64596.html

These newer quiet ones are awesome.
Old 04-06-21, 07:53 PM
kingston 
Jedi Master

Bikes: https://stinkston.blogspot.com/p/my-bikes.html

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1759 Post(s)
Liked 488 Times in 313 Posts
Originally Posted by rickpaulos
By far and away the best small compressor available now is the Fortress 2 gallon at Harbor Freight..
I treated myself to one of these and a park inflator last year. Ridiculously extravagant way to pump up bike tires, but I'm worth it. Easily my favorite tool in the shop.
Old 04-06-21, 08:42 PM
fooferdoggie 

Quoted: 680 Post(s)
Liked 947 Times in 554 Posts
the problem with those little guys they are loud and annoying. this is the brand I use very quit and its beed a good compressor. https://www.amazon.com/California-Ai...7763206&sr=8-4
Old 04-06-21, 09:00 PM
scottfsmith
I like bike

Its the pancake ones that are loud. The Fortress 2 is 60dB, similar to the one you linked which is 56dB (half the size so a bit quieter).