Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Tandem Cycling
Reload this Page >

Experience with DOG TRAILERS and Big Dogs ?

Search
Notices
Tandem Cycling A bicycle built for two. Want to find out more about this wonderful world of tandems? Check out this forum to talk with other tandem enthusiasts. Captains and stokers welcome!

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-21, 06:10 AM
preventec47

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked 40 Times in 28 Posts

I just bought this dog trailer on Amazon and I am impressed with the construction. The trailer weighs 25 pounds and the dog will weigh 100 pounds.
I am 210 pounds, the stoker will be 130 pounds and the bike weighs 55 pounds. My first planned excursion will be on a paved railroad trail so I expect there
will be no difficulties since it will be a straight line all the way.... I wanted to check in here to see if anyone had done something similar and experienced wild gigantic
swing forces that were difficult to control or any other adverse behavior from such a setup.
Old 03-28-21, 06:26 AM
alo

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 529 Post(s)
Liked 255 Times in 185 Posts
Trailer swaying comes from having too much weight behind the trailer axle. With the axle that far back, I doubt it will be a problem.
Old 04-06-21, 03:24 PM
dashely

Bikes: Rodriguez 6-Pack, Giant Halfway

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Owning that bike trailer for dogs I have a couple comments from the use with two dogs

The trailer is great was a 130 bl dog that got in and lay down for the whole way and zero trailer sway.

Dog two weights 50 bl and hates speed dips/rain gutter about 18 wide/6inch deep on the road and moves from the right side to the left side or the other way every time I go thought one. The trailer sway a lot with the dog moving. I like everyone in town slow down for the dips.

The big problem with trailer sway is the dog moving side to side.
Likes For dashely:
Old 04-06-21, 04:01 PM
ridelikeaturtle

Bikes: Bianchi Ti Megatube; Colnago Competition; Planet-X EC-130E; Klein Pulse; Amp Research B4; Litespeed Catalyst; Trek Y11

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 596 Post(s)
Liked 478 Times in 258 Posts
I don't think you'll have any issues. Just do not exceed 25kph (and normally try to stay under 20kph), go very slow on descents, and turn slowly.
Old 04-06-21, 04:31 PM
bOsscO
bOsscO

Bikes: 2024 Spec Crux, 2015 Norco Search S1, 93 Mongoose IBOC COMP

Quoted: 296 Post(s)
Liked 355 Times in 212 Posts
Originally Posted by ridelikeaturtle
I don't think you'll have any issues. Just do not exceed 25kph (and normally try to stay under 20kph), go very slow on descents, and turn slowly.
I'll reiterate this statement to take turns slowly. I used a similar utility trailer to take my (previous) 40lb dog to work. He didn't mind the ride but always sat upright to have a look around. On our third trip I took a corner too fast and the trailer tipped over, grinding us both to a halt. Poor boy had road rash on his nose and lips.
Likes For bOsscO:
Old 04-07-21, 02:42 AM
ridelikeaturtle

Bikes: Bianchi Ti Megatube; Colnago Competition; Planet-X EC-130E; Klein Pulse; Amp Research B4; Litespeed Catalyst; Trek Y11

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 596 Post(s)
Liked 478 Times in 258 Posts
Originally Posted by bOsscO
I'll reiterate this statement to take turns slowly. I used a similar utility trailer to take my (previous) 40lb dog to work. He didn't mind the ride but always sat upright to have a look around. On our third trip I took a corner too fast and the trailer tipped over, grinding us both to a halt. Poor boy had road rash on his nose and lips.
Like this? Yeah, that was all my fault, I think it was our second time out. I wasn't going very fast, it tipped because she was leaning out too far, I hadn't shortened the internal tether that prevents her from doing that.

[Millie (28kgs) was not hurt; in fact I think she loved the excitement.]

I'd also recommend using a harness with a central attachment point, not a collar like in the video, to tether the dog to the trailer. This allows the dog to sit centrally and comfortably, without any stress on the neck.
Old 04-07-21, 09:28 AM
bOsscO
bOsscO

Bikes: 2024 Spec Crux, 2015 Norco Search S1, 93 Mongoose IBOC COMP

Quoted: 296 Post(s)
Liked 355 Times in 212 Posts
Originally Posted by ridelikeaturtle
Like this? Yeah, that was all my fault, I think it was our second time out. I wasn't going very fast, it tipped because she was leaning out too far, I hadn't shortened the internal tether that prevents her from doing that.

I'd also recommend using a harness with a central attachment point, not a collar like in the video, to tether the dog to the trailer. This allows the dog to sit centrally and comfortably, without any stress on the neck.
Yes exactly like that; same side even. It was totally my fault and resulted in lot's of post-crash cuddles and extra treats.
Likes For bOsscO: