Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic and Vintage Bicycles: Whats it Worth? Appraisals.
Reload this Page >

Do my Campy Record brakes have some value?

Notices
Classic and Vintage Bicycles: Whats it Worth? Appraisals. Use this subforum for all requests as to "How much is this vintage bike worth?"Do NOT try to sell it in here, use the Marketplaces.

Old 04-07-21, 12:03 PM
Sciguy 

Location: Constableville, NY between the Tug Hill plateau and the Adirondacks

Bikes: Fugi Jari, Surly Ice Cream Truck, ancient Litespeed 26er, Cervelo P3

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts

While attempting to de-clutter my like I've come upon many of the components that came originally on a 1973 Raleigh Professional that I purchased new in that year. Among this bits and pieces are the front and rear brake assemblies along with levers and cables. The hoods are not original. I'm wondering what if these have some value for those doing restorations and if so how might be the best way to proceed to more them on.

Thanks for your learned advice.

Hugh
Old 04-07-21, 12:18 PM
bikemig 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes and a few new ones

Mentioned: 178 Post(s)
Quoted: 5877 Post(s)
Liked 3,445 Times in 2,066 Posts
Probably the best way to sell them is to join BF which in expensive and list them in the C&V for sale forum. You can search eBay sold listings to get an idea of value. You'll have to price them here less than that but there are no fees. Also these brakes are rusting so you'll have to discount for that unless you plan on cleaning them up for sale. My quick look on eBay saw a few clean sets going at $150. You'll have to discount for that to sell here though as these need a fair amount of cleaning and the buyers here tend to be cheapskates. Bottom line is you can still find complete campy bikes as a parts donor for $500ish if you want to save some dough on parts and that puts a ceiling on what the parts are worth.

Last edited by bikemig; 04-07-21 at 12:24 PM.
Likes For bikemig:
Old 04-07-21, 12:25 PM
Sciguy 

Location: Constableville, NY between the Tug Hill plateau and the Adirondacks

Bikes: Fugi Jari, Surly Ice Cream Truck, ancient Litespeed 26er, Cervelo P3

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by bikemig
Probably the best way to sell them is to join BF which in expensive and list them in the C&V for sale forum. You can search eBay sold listings to get an idea of value. You'll have to price them here less than that but there are no fees. Also these brakes are rusting so you'll have to discount for that unless you plan on cleaning them up for sale. My guess is that they'd sell here at around $100 fairly easily. They go for more on eBay though once cleaned up. Also you will want to measure the reach on these before selling.

Thanks for the quick reply! By BF are you referring to Bikeforums.net? I've got the time to clean them up but could use advice in that regard. Since they came on a Raleigh Pro and I transferred them to a Paramount I raced for a few years I'll bet they're "short reach" but will search out the specs to know for certain.

Hugh
Old 04-07-21, 12:33 PM
bikemig 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes and a few new ones

Mentioned: 178 Post(s)
Quoted: 5877 Post(s)
Liked 3,445 Times in 2,066 Posts
Originally Posted by Sciguy
Thanks for the quick reply! By BF are you referring to Bikeforums.net? I've got the time to clean them up but could use advice in that regard. Since they came on a Raleigh Pro and I transferred them to a Paramount I raced for a few years I'll bet they're "short reach" but will search out the specs to know for certain.

Hugh
Yes, there is a very active for sale forum in the classic and vintage section. You won't get top dollar for them here but you'll get a fair price and you won't have to deal with any eBay fees.

Whatever you use to clean your bikes, you can use to clean the brakes. To deal with the rust, you may want to get evaporust. It works very well.
Old 04-08-21, 08:55 AM
Mr. 66

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 1124 Post(s)
Liked 1,704 Times in 941 Posts
For cleaning brakes lately I've been using armor all tire and wheel cleaner. Spray on use a lite brush hose off, repeat if needed.
Old 04-08-21, 04:21 PM
francophile 
PM me your cotters

Mentioned: 80 Post(s)
Quoted: 1137 Post(s)
Liked 588 Times in 420 Posts
The only downside I see here is the level of rust. I think you could probably get $50-60 + shipping for these, but the buyer is going to literally be replacing everything: The pads, the hoods, the rubber bump rings, and doing significant rust remediation. I think it would take the right buyer.

Would be interesting to see what these would look like after a 10-16 min ultrasonic bath with a tsp of Dawn dishwashing liquid.

Likes For francophile:
Old 04-08-21, 06:18 PM
xiaoman1 

Bikes: A few too many

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1359 Post(s)
Liked 2,173 Times in 1,178 Posts
^^^^^What francophile says is on the money....lots of cleaning and polishing and we all know that Campy chrome on nuts and bolts is a tough clean.
GLWTS, Ben

Voice recognition may sometimes create odd spelling and grammatical errors

Old 04-09-21, 07:15 AM
repechage

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 3449 Post(s)
Liked 2,800 Times in 1,974 Posts
Evaporust or similar after taking them apart
they have the pre CPSC quick release levers.
I cannot tell from the image the date of the levers, earlier had a round port below, later a U cutout for the cable end.

so, they have value and a market.
the ultimate sales price depends on your interest to clean them up.

save the cables and housing, the housing appears original, to some that is a plus, the original cable housing ends even. And original Campagnolo cables were beefy 1.8mm
Old 04-04-22, 01:41 PM
paulocaputo

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
beatiful pieces
Old 04-06-22, 10:11 PM
repechage

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 3449 Post(s)