Search
Notices
Classic and Vintage Bicycles: Whats it Worth? Appraisals. Use this subforum for all requests as to "How much is this vintage bike worth?"Do NOT try to sell it in here, use the Marketplaces.

Vitus Dural 979

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-21, 04:09 PM
Nativo

Bikes: 2014 Cannondale T2 Tandem

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Vitus Dural 979

I have a Pearl White 57cm Vitus 979 Dural with Dura Ace Santé group, don’t know year. It’s about a 7.5/10 with no crashes nor anything bent just paint chipped and scratches.Anyway to know what year it is and its value?
Old 03-29-21, 11:58 AM
francophile 
PM me your cotters

Mentioned: 80 Post(s)
Quoted: 1137 Post(s)
Liked 590 Times in 422 Posts
Tough to say, mostly because the Vitus re-sold the 979 frames to be re-branded by so many different manufacturers. I've got a Motobecane Pro Mark frame in my basement that's 979. Note this is a bonded (glued) frame which comes with natural mistrust from many in the cycling community after horror stories about tubes separating have been passed down here or there.

If branded with Vitus decals specifically, it's probably actually a Vitus bike. I'm not aware of any way to specifically date them other than a decade, which I'd center around the mid-late 80s. If everything was Sante, down to the hubs, and the date codes match across all the Sante equipment, it *could* be semi-safe to assume it's original equipment, by which you could potentially use that to ballpark the date of the frameset.

As for value, I and many others won't put a dollar value on anything without pictures. You can click on the Gallery above, create a new album there, and tell us, we can help you get those pics into this thread since you don't have 10 posts yet.

Old 04-12-21, 07:11 AM
Jmpierce

Bikes: 82 Trek 710, 90 Trek 750, 86 Vitus, Nishiki Cervino, 1989 Bianchi CdI, 2 Nashbars, an Italian Steel MTB, Sears Spaceliner, and a 74 Schwinn Speedster. I also manage a fleet of Volcanic Patrol bikes, 83 of them.

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked 234 Times in 120 Posts
Look at this link, its where I did some of the research on my 979. You should be able to figure to the year by the serial number.

https://on-the-drops.blogspot.com/20...l#comment-form
Likes For Jmpierce: