Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Updating the old Martelly built Ribble, can there be too much black?

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Old 11-01-20, 10:04 AM
jamesdak 

Bikes: Paletti,Pinarello Monviso,Duell Vienna,Giordana XL Super,Lemond Maillot Juane.& custom,PDG Paramount,Fuji Opus III,Davidson Impulse,Pashley Guv'nor,Evans,Fishlips,Y-Foil,Softride, Tetra Pro, CAAD8 Optimo,

Mentioned: 156 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2323 Post(s)
Liked 4,935 Times in 1,763 Posts

So the DT shifters are off and some nice Dura Ace 7403 shifters added. Original plan was to wrap the bars with the matching green tape I got for it a year or so ago. But I think I like the black better and that has led my mind down yet another rabbit hole. I want to swap the bars with something with a more modern, flatter ramp and have silver Nitto Noodles and two black Soma HWY Ones on hand. Thinking it might look really good with the black bars, stem and seatpost. What do you think, too much black? Or maybe with all the black the green tape won't be too much. Or maybe.....

I also removed those Ribble decals that were quite thick and damaged in parts. Been talking with Velocals about some Martelly ones to put on it. Seems only respectful. Yet as sort of expected there's some ghosting from the old decals that cleaning and even polishing compound did not remove. Yet in the sunlight the "ghost Ribble" shows up pretty well and looks pretty cool. Maybe I should leave it like that.

Anyway, going to contemplate this a day or two and curious what others think?

As it sit's this morning without the decals and with the silver stem and seatpost.

And an underexposed shot to show the Ribble ghosting, to the eye in sunlight it's easy to see.

The original green bar tape I was able to resource.

Old 11-01-20, 01:20 PM
dddd
Ride, Wrench, Swap, Race

Bikes: Cheltenham-Pedersen racer, Boulder F/S Paris-Roubaix, Varsity racer, '52 Christophe, '62 Continental, '92 Merckx, '75 Limongi, '76 Presto, '72 Gitane SC, '71 Schwinn SS, etc.

Mentioned: 132 Post(s)
Quoted: 1562 Post(s)
Liked 1,285 Times in 856 Posts
That sure looks livened up!
Old 11-02-20, 12:15 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10947 Post(s)
Liked 7,473 Times in 4,181 Posts
Black tape and cockpit for sure.
I always prefer modern bend bars with STIs as the transition is smoother, so some black hwy1 bars would look fantastic.
Old 11-02-20, 08:29 AM
Ferrouscious 
Some Weirdo

Bikes: '86 Schwinn Prelude, '91 Scott Sawtooth, '73 Raleigh "Grand 3"

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 223 Post(s)
Liked 141 Times in 92 Posts
black tape all the way. black seatpost and stem might be too much. silver stem and black bars always looks slick.
Old 11-02-20, 12:27 PM
rccardr 
aka: Dr. Cannondale

Mentioned: 234 Post(s)
Quoted: 2152 Post(s)
Liked 3,401 Times in 1,203 Posts
You have exquisite taste in bicycles and you know this particular bike as purchased haunts my dreams... but we do not share aesthetic viewpoints on components.
The star here is clearly the frame. It’s stunning.
If it were mine, I’d stick with 7403/7410 Dura Ace, strip and polish the downtube shifters and brake lever blades (or find a nice set of BL-R600’s), stick with the polished stem and seatpost, and install the Noodles.
Use a less aero wheelset with polished hubs & stainless BD spokes (instead of bladed ones) laced to black rims with machined brake tracks like an Open Pro.
Black low profile saddle and black tape. Maybe black Cinelli Calaido if I wanted to draw just a little attention from the frame.
And please, in the name of everything holy, put new Ribble decals back on it.
Old 11-02-20, 01:10 PM
jamesdak 

Bikes: Paletti,Pinarello Monviso,Duell Vienna,Giordana XL Super,Lemond Maillot Juane.& custom,PDG Paramount,Fuji Opus III,Davidson Impulse,Pashley Guv'nor,Evans,Fishlips,Y-Foil,Softride, Tetra Pro, CAAD8 Optimo,

This is what is so cool about this hobby, how differently we see things and how alike we see things.

For me most of the time I'm picking function over looks. This is a fast bike and I want to optimize that. I've had three different wheel/tire combo's and the ones on it now seem to be the best for giving me what I want out on the road with this one.

And the more I thought about it the more I think the black cockpit is going to make that frame pop. So that's where I'm taking in. At least that's how I feel right now.

But then I think the actual builder deserves his due. I pestered a lot of people on this one and have not found any connection to Ribble at all. Without a doubt it's a Eddy Martens made bike. Ribble did not make it or have it made, Ribble didn't even repaint it according to their records. And I have found no link of it being a Ribble team bike from years past. So I think it's cool to honor Eddy Martens by putting his name on it, maybe...... May just leave it as it because it looks pretty cool to me.

One thing strange I ran into with the Noodles Saturday was a fit issue with a brand new Deda Murex stem. For sure the Noodles are bigger in the clamp area than either the Soma's or the Cinelli Giro d' Italia bars I've paired with the Deda stems before. Need to break out the caliper and see what's going on there. I tried using them on the Wayne Evans bike as I built it back up.

Oh and I even considered grabbing a brand new black groupset to put on this to really go all black but told myself to quit thinking about spending more money, LOL!
Old 11-12-20, 05:51 PM
jamesdak 

So this is where I've taken it for now. Found the bar tape locally and while not my favorite kind the color is a dead on match to the lighter sides of the bike. Still have a love/hate with the saddle and it's green. It matches the darker green on the bike beautifully from the front or back but looks off from the side.

Since JR had researched and worked coming up with Martelly Decals I did go ahead and order them. Sort of liking it clean like this but I wasn't going to leave JR hanging on the buy after he worked to take care of me.

Hard to nail the colors using the cell phone but this gives you and idea. I need to find the perfect dust covers for this one.

One of the few times I've picked looks over comfort for my bar tape.

I'm trying to avoid the voice in my head that is saying this needs black components so that the frame really pops! It's a special kind of madness inside my head sometimes, LOL!

19 lbs, 13 ozs as pictured. So the latest mods put on an extra 4 ozs, terrible!

Last edited by jamesdak; 11-12-20 at 05:54 PM.
Old 11-12-20, 06:12 PM
noobinsf 

Bikes: '82 Univega Competizione, '72 Motobecane Grand Record, '83 Mercian KOM Touring, '85 Univega Alpina Uno, '76 Eisentraut Limited

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Quoted: 1088 Post(s)
Liked 1,205 Times in 701 Posts
Originally Posted by jamesdak
So this is where I've taken it for now. Found the bar tape locally and while not my favorite kind the color is a dead on match to the lighter sides of the bike. Still have a love/hate with the saddle and it's green. It matches the darker green on the bike beautifully from the front or back but looks off from the side.

Since JR had researched and worked coming up with Martelly Decals I did go ahead and order them. Sort of liking it clean like this but I wasn't going to leave JR hanging on the buy after he worked to take care of me.

Hard to nail the colors using the cell phone but this gives you and idea. I need to find the perfect dust covers for this one.

One of the few times I've picked looks over comfort for my bar tape.

I'm trying to avoid the voice in my head that is saying this needs black components so that the frame really pops! It's a special kind of madness inside my head sometimes, LOL!

19 lbs, 13 ozs as pictured. So the latest mods put on an extra 4 ozs, terrible!
Looks good! What's your preferred crank length? I think Velo Orange still has their black drillium crank set for sale in 170mm and 172.5mm, sale price $120.

https://velo-orange.com/collections/...nt=50653763847
Likes For noobinsf:
Old 11-12-20, 06:21 PM
3speedslow

Bikes: A few

Mentioned: 117 Post(s)
Quoted: 1942 Post(s)
Liked 1,068 Times in 636 Posts
With that frame you can never have too much black
Likes For 3speedslow:
Old 04-14-21, 06:03 PM
jamesdak 

Ok, this one hurt a bit....

With my focus issues and need to thin out the herd I put this up for sale locally also without ever putting a mile on it since the last work. Young lady came by today, fell in love with it, and took it home. I was sort of hoping this one wouldn't sell but it's one that made sense to let go...sorta...I think...yeah it did....augh!

I think that makes 13 bikes I've let go since the beginning of winter.
Old 04-14-21, 06:16 PM
squirtdad

Bikes: Kirk Custom JK Special, '84 Team Miyata,(dura ace old school) 80?? SR Semi-Pro 600 Arabesque

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Quoted: 2337 Post(s)
Liked 2,809 Times in 1,534 Posts
Ok, this one hurt a bit....

With my focus issues and need to thin out the herd I put this up for sale locally also without ever putting a mile on it since the last work. Young lady came by today, fell in love with it, and took it home. I was sort of hoping this one wouldn't sell but it's one that made sense to let go...sorta...I think...yeah it did....augh!

I think that makes 13 bikes I've let go since the beginning of winter.
hurt but good karma going to someone who fell in love with it.......I have saved pictures for copying the paint if I ever pull the trigger on a custom

Old 04-14-21, 06:40 PM
krakhaus 

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 206 Post(s)
Liked 460 Times in 176 Posts
That must have been a tall young lady.
Old 04-14-21, 07:28 PM
jamesdak 

Originally Posted by krakhaus
That must have been a tall young lady.
Yep, I'd say she was an inch taller than me.
Old 04-14-21, 09:35 PM
P!N20

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 1077 Post(s)
Liked 1,893 Times in 929 Posts
Found the bar tape locally and while not my favorite kind the color is a dead on match to the lighter sides of the bike.
Can you remember what brand of bar tape that was?
Old 04-14-21, 09:41 PM
jamesdak 

Originally Posted by P!N20
Can you remember what brand of bar tape that was?
Bontrager. Got it at the local Trek shop, the only guys in town I trust my bikes too when I'm not doing the work.
Old 04-15-21, 12:37 AM
randyjawa 

Bikes: 1958 Rabeneick 120D, 1968 Legnano Gran Premio, 196? Torpado Professional, 2000 Marinoni Piuma

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Quoted: 1372 Post(s)
Liked 1,748 Times in 937 Posts
Too much black? Not in my opinion, but I am not really a bright colors guy...
Old 04-15-21, 11:04 AM
jamesdak 

Originally Posted by squirtdad
hurt but good karma going to someone who fell in love with it.......I have saved pictures for copying the paint if I ever pull the trigger on a custom
Well even though I am on a massive downsizing project I did just order a "custom " bike of sorts. This will be my new errand, winter, cargo, get old on, bike. Even went with a step through for those days when my lower back and knee are hating me.

Stuck with the green but not SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO green, LOL!

Should look just like this just went with a different chain guard once I finalized the order. Total other end of the biking spectrum from the Martelly.
Old 04-15-21, 11:21 AM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10397 Post(s)
Liked 11,854 Times in 6,070 Posts
"...can there be too much black?"

Yes. Local Craigs List has a Lotus that was rattle-can painted black. Everything. Including derailleurs, headset, cranks. That's too much black.

Nice choice on the bar and tape, BTW. I'm a big fan of the Highway Ones. I've got them on 3 out of 6 bikes.

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles