Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

Fate comes to Edmonton, a really unfortunate and fatality of a 64 year old man.

Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

Old 01-29-21, 02:33 PM
GamblerGORD53

Bikes: 2013 Custom SA5w / Rohloff Tourster

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1233 Post(s)
Liked 318 Times in 245 Posts

The improbable sad and logically impossible happened here the afternoon of Jan. 4, 2021. First one in over 3 years I think. A 20 foot empty flatbed trailer pulled by a 10 ton picker truck rolled over a 64 year old man, on a knobby tire MTB. The family refuses to release even his name. Looking thru the obits, the only match is a distinguished Fire Hall captain. It says nothing about cycling either. So he was certainly familiar with these situations, at least for injuries as cyclist deaths are few and far between. The mystery here is only how the hell it happened.

Dec. and the first 3 weeks of Jan. were record high average temps, most days above freezing. So this day was basically perfect for riding around. The busy parts of roads were clear, with 2 feet of solid ice along the curbs where the collision happened. I rode 7 miles there, 8 days later in similar conditions and rode sidewalks some where possible. I was itching for a ride anyway. My bikes won't go on the otherwise now snowy side streets. Traffic is still 1/3 of usual.
The sidewalk here was clear and right beside the road. ZERO visual impedements and this is a T intersection requiring a stop. But then it's worse for hiding the cyclist, if he came up from behind. There is just a ped light for crossing, where the rider was certainly going. I believe the bike was proceeding from the sidewalk.
So why couldn't the cyclist and driver make eye contact to signal who is going first?? Especially if the bike snuck up on the stopped truck. Any other scenario, the driver would have been able to tell the police had happened. This case certainly seems to have 2 rather negligent parties, sad to say, IMO. Did the cyclist not realize there was a trailer, maybe? There actually WAS a witness who yelled to no avail and watched him go under. I didn't see him on the TV news, so maybe he wasn't. Of course the police will never release the info, so nobody can learn from these.
Yesterday the 62 y-o driver was charged with failure to proceed safely.

https://globalnews.ca/news/7554879/e...ion-50-street/
https://edmonton.ctvnews.ca/driver-c...nton-1.5286344

https://www.google.ca/maps/@53.53394...2!8i6656?hl=en

The bike advocates had a ghost bike there only 2 days later.

Last edited by GamblerGORD53; 01-29-21 at 03:44 PM.
Old 01-29-21, 10:02 PM
GamblerGORD53

Bikes: 2013 Custom SA5w / Rohloff Tourster

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1233 Post(s)
Liked 318 Times in 245 Posts
I have figured out some more here. The CTV video shows very well the back wheel of the bike. I am sure it is a hub drive e-bike and it looks clean and new to me. There is a wire on the NDS and there is a rim brake. The cluster on the ground side is bent of course.
So this would explain why cycling may not be a part of his said past. And unfortunately may be why he ended up here, inexperience and unfamiliarity. Maybe recently retired.
The witness does say the truck was more in the wrong.
This fits right in with the e-bike accident discussion thread started a week ago.
RIP.

Last edited by GamblerGORD53; 01-29-21 at 10:57 PM.