Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Hybrid Bicycles
Reload this Page >

Help on buying a bike( unseen in these times)

Search
Notices
Hybrid Bicycles Where else would you go to discuss these fun, versatile bikes?

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-21, 05:35 AM
waxcrazy

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 8 Posts

Hello all...Brand new here...After 25 years I got the bug to get out there again!!!! 65 years old and jogging is no longer my best friend...lol... Consider myself in decent shape considering...but...lower back issues crop up from time to time so it's time to decide on something comfortable. I've been exploring 3 fitness bikes but pretty much have to buy it without trying it by a bike shop seniority list the way things are..I need a comfortable geometry but still want to be able to do a 50 mile road ride as I progress...In my head the 3 choices of the moment are Cannondale quick 2....Trek fx4 or 3...and Specialized 4.0 Sirrus...Of those, If anyone has any comfort imput or anything elsewhere it would be appreciated! I was able to sit on a Trek Verve and fell in love... But.... I'm afraid it's not going to be good for the longer hauls I plan... Also flirtied with endurance bikes but keep thinking flat bar at my age... Guess I need some adult supervision!!!! Lol

Thanks all!
Old 03-12-21, 08:20 AM
Nate8727

Bikes: 2021 Trek Verve 1 Disc

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by waxcrazy
Hello all...Brand new here...After 25 years I got the bug to get out there again!!!! 65 years old and jogging is no longer my best friend...lol... Consider myself in decent shape considering...but...lower back issues crop up from time to time so it's time to decide on something comfortable. I've been exploring 3 fitness bikes but pretty much have to buy it without trying it by a bike shop seniority list the way things are..I need a comfortable geometry but still want to be able to do a 50 mile road ride as I progress...In my head the 3 choices of the moment are Cannondale quick 2....Trek fx4 or 3...and Specialized 4.0 Sirrus...Of those, If anyone has any comfort imput or anything elsewhere it would be appreciated! I was able to sit on a Trek Verve and fell in love... But.... I'm afraid it's not going to be good for the longer hauls I plan... Also flirtied with endurance bikes but keep thinking flat bar at my age... Guess I need some adult supervision!!!! Lol

Thanks all!
The best advice I can give is to try any models you are considering. It's the easiest way to narrow down your list.

Always go for comfort first and the rest will fall in place.
Old 03-12-21, 12:35 PM
hokiefyd 

Bikes: More bikes than riders

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1446 Post(s)
Liked 762 Times in 570 Posts
I think there are two primary trains of thought on this.
  1. Buy the bike on which you find the most comfort, because that'll get you out riding and if your skill or fitness or desires change over time and you want a more aggressive bike later, you can trade later.
  2. Buy a more aggressive bike up front, because you'll eventually want this, and just skip the comfort bike.
The primary risk with #1 is the expense of two bike purchases and uncertainty of selling the comfort bike, if you eventually want to do that. Not everyone will, so it's a game of odds.
The primary risk with #2 is the chance that you buy a bike that is not comfortable to you and you end up not riding it...or you sell it and buy a comfort bike and you'll have two purchases anyway (same as #1).

I generally lean toward #1 above -- buy what feels good to you today. You can buy something else if you want to later, and I think the chances of not riding an uncomfortable bike today are higher than the chances of a significant financial loss if you do decide to trade a comfort bike for a more aggressive one tomorrow.
Old 03-13-21, 09:25 AM
VirginiaBiker

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Great choices in bikes there! And some good advice as well.

I agree that comfort needs to be one of the most important factors. Make sure you consider riding position and reach length. Some fitness/comfort bike geometries lead to an upright riding style which can be painful in the seat during longer rides.
Old 03-13-21, 09:41 AM
freeranger

Bikes: 06 Lemond Reno, 98 GT Timberline mtn.bike

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 427 Post(s)
Liked 699 Times in 436 Posts
All of the bikes you mention are good bikes. Which one will feel best to you-almost impossible to tell just from specs for geometry. One thing that might help decide which is: how soon can you get one of the brands (if you want to start riding soon)? You don't show where you are located, but I know that one of our local shops has (or had) some new FX's in stock. One shop can ship to another, tho you could incur shipping costs. Perhaps someone who is within what you would consider reasonable driving distance might know of a dealer with some bikes in stock. The only one mentioned that I know anything about is the Trek FX. A good friend has the FX 4 and has nothing but good things to say. While out riding last season, met someone with a new FX 2-said it was their first "good bike". They were young, but had no trouble keeping 14-15mph for the 6 miles they rode along with us, before turning off (they were younger than us-maybe late 20's).
Old 03-21-21, 08:05 PM
cordawg92

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Honestly the bikes you are comparing are all very similar. It will come down to personal preference and availability. I'm leaning myself towards the FX3 at the moment.
Old 03-22-21, 05:52 AM
fishboat

Bikes: Lemond '01 Maillot Jaune, Lemond '02 Victoire, Lemond '03 Poprad, Lemond '03 Wayzata DB conv(Poprad), '79 AcerMex Windsor Carrera Professional(pur new), '88 GT Tequesta(pur new), '01 Bianchi Grizzly, 1993 Trek 970 DB conv, Trek 8900 DB conv

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 759 Post(s)
Liked 810 Times in 471 Posts
Two thoughts..

1) Of the bikes you've suggested(similar)..I'd look for a used Trek 7.5fx or above (or similar upper levels in the other brands). They (7.5's at least) can be had for the $350-$450 range and have better components, for much less cash than new. Also mount good, fast, supple 38mm tires for a much more comfortable ride. The "Hardcase" tires that come on the Trek (older at least) FX's are like riding on beef jerky. Panaracer Gravelking Slicks would be a suggestion.

2) May be heresy on the hybrid forum..but a drop bar bike with bars level with the saddle will give you all the comfort of a flat bar bike and add in three more hand positions, two of which will be on the top portion of the bars. As your distance increases toward 50 miles..you'll appreciate the additional hand positions.