Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Two unusual bicycle locks

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-21, 10:56 AM
themp

Bikes: Specialized Crosstrail

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 121 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 44 Posts

https://www.wimp.com/clever-way-to-lock-your-bike/

Old 03-16-21, 12:14 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6193 Post(s)
Liked 4,809 Times in 3,317 Posts
Hmm. You lock up a 12,000 dollar bike in an area with a high bike theft rate and see if they care much less get slowed down in the process. The bike will be re-sold or on it's way to other parts... maybe even in parts long before the cops ever find the thief..... if the care to even look for them.

But if that's your revenge and it makes you feel good.
Old 03-17-21, 08:45 AM
Ogsarg

Bikes: 2019 Specialized Roubaix Comp Di2, 2009 Roubaix, early 90's Giant Iguana

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 643 Post(s)
Liked 1,526 Times in 551 Posts
The Yerka thing is a unique way of addressing the cordless angle grinder issue by making it so you damage the bike by cutting the lock. On the other hand, who wants to buy a bike just for that feature.
Old 03-17-21, 09:07 AM
tcs
Palmer

Bikes: Mike Melton custom, Alex Moulton AM, Dahon Curl

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 1667 Post(s)
Liked 1,820 Times in 1,058 Posts
The Lock Picking Lawyer gives regular tutorials to bike thieves, helping them 'up their game'. Of course he's going to try to dissuade any rider from using a lock with increased deterrence.
Old 03-17-21, 09:35 AM
mdarnton

Bikes: nothing to brag about

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 130 Post(s)
Liked 206 Times in 116 Posts
If the Yerka bike sells well, I predict an active market in replacement seatposts. Saw the post, throw bike in the truck, pick the lock in the privacy of one's own home. Probably it's faster than sawing a good lock.
Likes For mdarnton:
Old 03-17-21, 07:28 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4353 Post(s)
Liked 3,992 Times in 2,664 Posts
Gimmicky junk does not a good lock make. You want a good lock you use quality virgin steel that is properly tempered and hardened with a good key way that is well tested and can exceed the tests from independent lock certifications. It should also have good mounts that don't suck and ideally a good company as well. ABUS is a great way to go on that front. Plus they are owned by themselves and are not some sub division of a company that was bought out and bought out again...

I don't need stinky locks or bikes that turn into a lock or anything dumb like that I just want a quality lock that I can depend on.