Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

I think I’m finally learning how to bicycle

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Old 03-18-21, 10:21 AM
Lbxpdx

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 161 Post(s)
Liked 267 Times in 98 Posts

I got my first bike when I was in elementary school and had a hard rock comp in junior high/high school, and an old steel Schwin road bike in my early 30’s. At the ripe old age of 42 I was lucky enough to buy a used quality steel frame bike. I am carrying a few extra pounds, 5’10” and 205lbs, but I am hopefully on my way back to 180.

With that aside, I finally got my bike fit dialed in and noticed that I started to lock or engage my core which made cycling much easier. While I wouldn’t describe the bike as fighting me previously, I definitely wasn’t in sync with the bike. When my core is engaged the ride feels velvety and supple. Bumps are less noticeable and I feel connected to the bike in turns. The thing that I seem to notice most when my core is engaged is how much my legs get into rhythm with bike.

Despite having been on bikes for decades, I think I was just turning pedals instead of actually ridding them. There was a brief moment when riding earlier this week that almost made me feel like I was on my motorcycle.
Likes For Lbxpdx:
Old 03-18-21, 10:31 AM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Quoted: 4926 Post(s)
Liked 8,052 Times in 3,808 Posts
Awesome!! What was changed in your bike fit to help you find a new level in your riding?

I dropped from 225 to 185 at the beginning of 2020. Being consistent with my riding schedule, and making small changes to my food intake, was my formula for success. I hope you find what works for you. Keep it up!
Old 03-18-21, 10:40 AM
Lbxpdx

Quoted: 161 Post(s)
Liked 267 Times in 98 Posts
Originally Posted by Eric F
Awesome!! What was changed in your bike fit to help you find a new level in your riding?
Mainly the seat. I did the math to find the right seat height. I have a Brooks Pro seat and I finally conditioned it, so a few rides later my sitbones started to make their indentations. I rotated the handlebars a touch, slide the seat back a touch and brought the nose up. All these little things allowed me to rotate my pelvis which was a game changer. With the pelvis rotated, my back flattened and relaxed, my shoulders dropped taking pressure off of my hands and my core engaged, thus allowing my legs to do all the work.
Likes For Lbxpdx:
Old 03-19-21, 08:06 AM
sovende

Bikes: TNTL (Too numerous to list)

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 184 Post(s)
Liked 147 Times in 115 Posts
It was pretty amazing (to me, at least) how small changes in things like saddle height and position improved my performance when riding. Experienced, knowledgeable and/or competitive cyclists realize things like that early on but for many (like myself and now the OP) it can sometimes take a while to "get the drift" . I still see riders on a regular basis that have yet to "see the light" but hopefully they will. Once I made the connection (many years ago) I found cycling to be much more enjoyable.
Old 03-19-21, 08:35 AM
Rage
Space Ghost

Bikes: Bridgestone, Fuji, Iro, Jamis, Gary Fisher, GT, Scott, Specialized and more

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 292 Post(s)
Liked 412 Times in 318 Posts
Sounds funny but that’s how I know I have my bike dialed in, when it feels like I’m on my motorcycle lol.
Old 03-19-21, 08:49 AM
GrainBrain

Bikes: LeMond Zurich, Giant Talon 29er

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1221 Post(s)
Liked 627 Times in 471 Posts
Preach!
Old 03-21-21, 05:35 AM
bruce19

Bikes: CAAD 12, MASI Gran Criterium S, Colnago World Cup CX & Guru steel

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1743 Post(s)
Liked 1,279 Times in 739 Posts
Originally Posted by Rage
Sounds funny but that’s how I know I have my bike dialed in, when it feels like I’m on my motorcycle lol.
I can't help but notice that I climb better on my Ducati than on my CAAD 12.
Likes For bruce19:
Old 03-21-21, 06:12 AM
Rage
Space Ghost

Bikes: Bridgestone, Fuji, Iro, Jamis, Gary Fisher, GT, Scott, Specialized and more

Originally Posted by bruce19
I can't help but notice that I climb better on my Ducati than on my CAAD 12.
oohhhh man looking at a possibly new to me Ducati right now lol
Old 03-21-21, 07:36 AM
bruce19

Bikes: CAAD 12, MASI Gran Criterium S, Colnago World Cup CX & Guru steel

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1743 Post(s)
Liked 1,279 Times in 739 Posts
Originally Posted by Rage
oohhhh man looking at a possibly new to me Ducati right now lol
Year and model? I've had 6 so far. Currently a 2001 Monster S4S.
Old 03-21-21, 07:46 AM
Rage
Space Ghost

I’m gonna have to fight for it tooth and nail.
Been out of work the last year because of the lockdown and even though I have the money in hand, the ball and chain is giving me big-time agita over this. She’s become disenchanted with our almost brand new place in the ‘burbs and already wants to upgrade.
I will let you know if I win this.
First salvo. Rolling up sleeves to prepare lavish breakfast...
Old 03-21-21, 08:01 AM
wbrye

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Still trying to find that sweet spot also. I tried moving my position to try better a leg imbalance, now I introduce back pains! the search continues....
Old 03-21-21, 09:20 AM
mdarnton

Bikes: nothing to brag about

Quoted: 130 Post(s)
Liked 206 Times in 116 Posts
5"9" ex 200# now 170, I can tell you that your locked in core is going to start pulling that stomach inward and you will like the results. I feel that muscle working all the time now off the bike where before I didn't even know it existed. That's a major factor in making that roll over your belt go away.
Old 03-21-21, 12:22 PM
Outrider1

Bikes: Trek Emonda ALR 5

Quoted: 159 Post(s)
Liked 301 Times in 140 Posts
Interesting thread in a couple of ways. It took me the better part of a year to get dialed in on my Emonda. Not OK, not comfortable, but in-the -zone dialed in. It's amazing what an eighth of an inch or millimeter can do. Bars, grips, stems, saddle, pedals, shoes. ALSO, it's interested to see how many cyclists are also into motorcycles as well. Had 13 street bikes over the years, currently on a Goldwing.

Last edited by Outrider1; 03-21-21 at 12:26 PM. Reason: correct a misspelling
Old 03-21-21, 07:32 PM
Toadmeister

Bikes: 2021 Salsa Fargo 1x12, 2019 Jamis Renegade Exploit 1x11. Motobacne NX Fat Tire

Quoted: 198 Post(s)
Liked 332 Times in 170 Posts
Originally Posted by Lbxpdx
I got my first bike when I was in elementary school and had a hard rock comp in junior high/high school, and an old steel Schwin road bike in my early 30’s. At the ripe old age of 42 I was lucky enough to buy a used quality steel frame bike. I am carrying a few extra pounds, 5’10” and 205lbs, but I am hopefully on my way back to 180.

With that aside, I finally got my bike fit dialed in and noticed that I started to lock or engage my core which made cycling much easier. While I wouldn’t describe the bike as fighting me previously, I definitely wasn’t in sync with the bike. When my core is engaged the ride feels velvety and supple. Bumps are less noticeable and I feel connected to the bike in turns. The thing that I seem to notice most when my core is engaged is how much my legs get into rhythm with bike.

Despite having been on bikes for decades, I think I was just turning pedals instead of actually ridding them. There was a brief moment when riding earlier this week that almost made me feel like I was on my motorcycle.

no joke, you wrote that and described everything really well.