Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Seat storage

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-21, 03:56 AM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,944 Times in 1,906 Posts
Seat storage

I've been a fan of the topeak xl wedge seat bag as it supported the things needed when riding on the road. As of late, I've noticed a lot more flat tire potential that instead of just carrying a single tube, tools, & patch kit, I'd like to add a 2nd tube. Unfortunately the current storage capacity has no more space for a 2nd tube. Is there a slightly bigger bag that has a similar quick click connect system? I don't want to store anything on person, frame, rear rack adding, bar bag, etc. Just would like to procure a slightly bigger version of the same concept.
Old 04-15-21, 04:57 AM
jpescatore

Bikes: Trek Domane SL6 Disc, Jamis Renegade

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 364 Post(s)
Liked 304 Times in 217 Posts
I've been using the Topeak Aero Large wedge - It has a zipper than let's you make the pack longer and in the expanded setting I can carry 2 tubes, 2 CO2 cartdiges and inflator, tire tools and my cell phone. Expanding it also gives a better angle (more vertical) for the tail light I clip on the loop in the back.
Old 04-15-21, 05:54 AM
Troul 

https://www.amazon.com/Aero-Wedge-Pa...%2C166&sr=1-18

That? If yes, my bad, I misspoke & already have that. I really would like a MTX trunk bag that is narrower that can be mounted on a fixer to the seat post. Kinda like a Topeak wedge bag DynaPack, but not round & not a unique mounting clip.
Now if the Topeak wedge bag DynaPack was not stupid expensive, I'd change my mind.

Last edited by Troul; 04-15-21 at 05:59 AM.
Old 04-15-21, 07:09 AM
scottfsmith
I like bike

Bikes: Roubaix Comp 2020

Quoted: 267 Post(s)
Liked 283 Times in 191 Posts
My current solution for short vs long rides is I have an Aeroclam which normally has the small bottom on it, which holds the usual tube/levers/CO2/tool/patch. But they also sell a larger bottom for the same top and in about a minute you can swap bottoms and have room for an extra tube, energy bar, etc. See this page (scroll down) for pictures of the small and large bottoms.

You can remove the bottom if you don't need any storage, but the top you don't want to remove as it is a pain to get on and off. So this might not be what you want.

Here is the small one on my bike, the large has about 2x the room:

Old 04-15-21, 07:21 AM
BobbyG

Bikes: 2015 Charge Plug, 2007 Dahon Boardwalk, 1997 Nishiki Blazer, 1984 Nishiki International, 2006 Felt F65, 1989 Dahon Getaway V

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1363 Post(s)
Liked 1,676 Times in 827 Posts
I can't vouch for this, but it looks like it fits the bill.
https://www.amazon.com/Vincita-Expan...492772&sr=8-15
Old 04-15-21, 08:02 AM
Troul 

Originally Posted by BobbyG
I can't vouch for this, but it looks like it fits the bill.
https://www.amazon.com/Vincita-Expan...492772&sr=8-15
That wouldn't work for me. I may look for an used dyna.
Old 04-15-21, 11:00 AM
coupster

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked 46 Times in 32 Posts
Many, many years ago I was given a saddle bag based around the German KLICKfix system. I was thrilled. I was able to buy additional adapters and pack one tool bag for multiple bikes - switch bikes, move the tools with just the push of a button. The original bag is long gone, but VeloFred is the US source for replacement bags. I use a Micro 100 Wedge https://www.velofred.com/product_inf...roducts_id=242. It takes some careful and considered packing skills, but I can fit:

2 tubes, var tire lever set, 2 16 gram co2 cart's, 1 co2 head, topeak multi tool /w chain tool, patch kit, 9 spd quick link, 10 spd quick link, duck tape, 2-$5, 2-$1, 4 -$.25, credit card multi tool with knife/tweezers/pick, bandana, 3 zip ties and reversible screwdriver. But absolutely nothing else. They do make bigger bags for those that need the kitchen sink to wash up.

And after many years of practice I can even get it all back for the ride home from a roadside repair. Full its a bit on the heavy side, but is quite secure and doesn't sway. I've never been stranded out in the middle of nowhere and trust me, I've been there.
Likes For coupster:
Old 04-15-21, 11:44 AM
coupster

Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked 46 Times in 32 Posts
I only use the saddle rails for a bag. As seen from above, my load is a bit on the heavy side and I've never had good luck with saddle straps - could not get them tight enough not to move around and stay that way. I prefer the click on type attachment for the convenience and security factors, push button release, slide on clip and click to secure and off you go. As with all things saddle, to each their own. For me, its Fizik Arione (4) and KLICKfix bags(1).
Likes For coupster:
Old 04-15-21, 01:40 PM
jaxgtr

Bikes: Trek Domane SLR 7 AXS, Trek CheckPoint SL7 AXS, Trek Emonda ALR AXS, Trek FX 5 Sport

Quoted: 760 Post(s)
Liked 1,718 Times in 1,004 Posts
I've used the Bontrager Pro Quick and really like it, have it on a couple of bike. I also like the quick disconnect option and it is very secure. It give you plenty of space and even has area on the bottom to put an extra tube. I

Old 04-15-21, 02:01 PM
Troul 

Originally Posted by jaxgtr
I've used the Bontrager Pro Quick and really like it, have it on a couple of bike. I also like the quick disconnect option and it is very secure. It give you plenty of space and even has area on the bottom to put an extra tube. I
shucks, was hoping the large was a tad bigger than the topeak aero large wedge.
Old 04-15-21, 02:02 PM
Troul 

Originally Posted by coupster
never had good luck with saddle straps - could not get them tight enough not to move around and stay that way. I prefer the click on type attachment for the convenience and security factors, push button release, slide on clip and click to secure and off you go. As with all things saddle, to each their own.
this.
x2
Old 04-15-21, 02:17 PM
jaxgtr

Bikes: Trek Domane SLR 7 AXS, Trek CheckPoint SL7 AXS, Trek Emonda ALR AXS, Trek FX 5 Sport

Originally Posted by Troul
shucks, was hoping the large was a tad bigger than the topeak aero large wedge.
It surprising holds quite a bit. It has internal pockets as well. I carry the Innovation Genuine Innovation CO2 inflation type with the body cover where you can store a cartriage upside down, plus 2 more in the pocket, 2 tubes, tire lever(s) , a small multi tool and I still have a little room. If I want more room, I can put one of the tubes on outside bottom using the stretch fabric.

Likes For jaxgtr:
Old 04-15-21, 02:27 PM
Troul 

i'm diggin the Contour Waterproof seat rail bag. https://klickfix.com/en/products/det...riants/0217WSA looking for one in black, & if possible, between 2L & 3.5L. . it'll hold a Mini Morph Pump, which is a real nice thing to have. I dont want mine to "walk" off. Storing it in the contour when briefly taking the eyes off the cycle makes that possible.
Old 04-15-21, 02:32 PM
Elvo

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 630 Post(s)
Liked 369 Times in 206 Posts
https://www.topeak.com/global/en/pro...969-BACKLOADER
Old 04-15-21, 02:49 PM
Troul 

6L I'm not carrying a pair of fat tires.
Old 04-15-21, 03:32 PM
Troul 

Originally Posted by UCantTouchThis
Hmm, that is strange. I use the Topeak and the straps are pretty thick and the clips work really well. They cinch up really nice and even with a pretty good size supply, the bag stays nicely tucked. 2 tubes, cliff bar, baggy of gatorade powder, 3 levers, 4 allen keys. spoke wrench, car keys, patch kit, spare chain link, id, spare go pro screw, go pro screw wrench, money, benedryl in case of bee sting, and it holds nicely with the nice thick straps and enough supplies to carry me 100 miles.

But as you say, to each their own. I will say the straps on the topeak are much better than the jandd and some of the others I have had. As well as the light clip loop, good stuff!
the quick release makes it really easy to detach for cleaning the goop after a messy ride, carrying like a murse so the goods stay under your ownership, & the no fuss no sag & a guaranteed fit for position is icing on the cake. As for most things with accessories, ymmv.
Old 04-15-21, 04:38 PM
jaxgtr

the quick release makes it really easy to detach for cleaning the goop after a messy ride, carrying like a murse so the goods stay under your ownership, & the no fuss no sag & a guaranteed fit for position is icing on the cake. As for most things with accessories, ymmv.

yep, I switch to the Bontrager when I started commuting again and I had to walk about a quarter mile to my building from where the bike parking was. It made it really quick at 3 am to just detatch and go, then when I headed home to just snap it back in place.

Old 04-15-21, 05:19 PM
NeedARealBike

Bikes: Cinelli Bootleg Hobo - Railway 2015

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Arkel bag is best seat post bag.
Old 04-15-21, 06:00 PM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2740 Post(s)
Liked 3,388 Times in 2,051 Posts
Carry a patch kit instead of a 2nd tube
Old 04-15-21, 06:46 PM
Troul 

Originally Posted by dedhed
Carry a patch kit instead of a 2nd tube
that is not happening.
Old 04-15-21, 07:24 PM
Troul 

appreciate all the replies. Going to check a few stores to see about putting hands on the merch.
Old 04-16-21, 06:42 AM
dmanthree

Bikes: Garmin/Tacx Bike Smart

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 646 Post(s)
Liked 289 Times in 191 Posts
I've been a fan of the topeak xl wedge seat bag as it supported the things needed when riding on the road. As of late, I've noticed a lot more flat tire potential that instead of just carrying a single tube, tools, & patch kit, I'd like to add a 2nd tube. Unfortunately the current storage capacity has no more space for a 2nd tube. Is there a slightly bigger bag that has a similar quick click connect system? I don't want to store anything on person, frame, rear rack adding, bar bag, etc. Just would like to procure a slightly bigger version of the same concept.
I carry a tube and patch kit, as well as a pack of "boots" just in case. I've only flatted twice on the same ride once in decades of road riding. Or...just throw a third tube in your jersey pocket.
Old 04-16-21, 12:38 PM
Troul 

More times than I'd want to remember has proven that, as soon as I remove that 1 item, I'll regret it shortly after. What adds more frustration is that, that 1 item then is temp misplaced rather quickly after being removed.
For riding those longer routes, being prepared & never to need to react is much preferred, rather than trying to react to being vulnerable.
Old 04-16-21, 01:48 PM
Bill in VA

Bikes: Current: 2016 Bianchi Volpe; 1973 Peugeot UO-8. Past: 1974 Fuji S-10-S with custom black Imron paint by Stinsman Racing of PA.

Quoted: 215 Post(s)
Liked 204 Times in 142 Posts
Originally Posted by coupster
I only use the saddle rails for a bag. As seen from above, my load is a bit on the heavy side and I've never had good luck with saddle straps - could not get them tight enough not to move around and stay that way. I prefer the click on type attachment for the convenience and security factors, push button release, slide on clip and click to secure and off you go. As with all things saddle, to each their own. For me, its Fizik Arione (4) and KLICKfix bags(1).

For me straps work ONLY IF there are buckles of some type, velcro alone does not cut it. I have an old Cannondale tubular tire bag that has two zipper compartments; one on each side. It easily holds 2 tubes, a fold up 32mm clincher, patch kits, levers, chainlinks and a selction of allen keys. I use an old leather toe clip strap to attach it to the rails with no movement or shift. It has a velcro cinch strap and buckle for the seatpost. I have seen a newly made bag that is a near duplicate.
Old 04-18-21, 01:05 AM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Bikes: 15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, 76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, 17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, 12 Breezer Venturi, 09 Dahon Mariner, 12 Mercier Nano, 95 DeKerf Team SL, 19 Tern Rally, 21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, 19 T-Lab X3, 91 Serotta CII, 23 3T Strada

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 3129 Post(s)
Liked 1,697 Times in 1,026 Posts
Troul if you don’t use them already, have you considered moving to compact, ultralight tubes like Tubolito, Aerothan, or Revoloop? They might allow you to pack two tubes in your existing bag.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.