Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

For the love of English 3 speeds...

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

For the love of English 3 speeds...

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-10, 09:54 PM
jedge76

Bikes: 1973 Raleigh Superbe

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by noglider
Hey, jedge76, are you still with us? This isn't English, but it's very well made and in excellent condition. And the price is excellent.

https://chicago.craigslist.org/nch/for/1908000408.html
I'm still here. I just went through one of the busier points of my job this past week or two. Hit me up if you run across anything. I sent you an email, btw. Thanks noglider!
Old 08-26-10, 10:05 PM
jedge76

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Andrew F
Shhhhhh, be vewy, vewy, qwiet...were hunting waleighs....I pointed jedge76 to a sweet original 23" Superbe closer to his locale. Let see if he bags one.
I tried, I had it in my ebay "watch list" right on my radar, then forgot about the auction until 1 hour past. I'm getting a bit itchy at this point.

I didn't say he should wait. I'm saying if he waits, he pays less. If he doesn't want to wait, he can get one now by paying more.
I'm tryin'. It pains me to see all the Raleight Sports, Superbes, Tourists, etc. on the east coast. I can't find anything on this coast. It's been a month since I sold my road bike (received good dough for it) and it was my only rider. Didn't plan on it being this big of a lay off, but I want to make the best purchase I can. That Sports you found a few weeks ago was excellent. I also loved that Rudge Deluxe that @ftwelder has in post #749. Not sure if he sold it or would even be willing to ship.
Old 08-26-10, 10:51 PM
Sixty Fiver
Bicycle Repair Man !!!

Bikes: See my sig...

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 129 Times in 96 Posts
Was perusing the local classified section yesterday and saw an ad for an antique folding bike and after checking things out yesterday I left a deposit and returned today to retrieve my new 3 speed.

All it needs now is some new tyres... it is another 451 equipped British model and will stay just as she is.

Old 08-27-10, 12:39 AM
banjo_mole 
Bicycle Adventurer

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I'm on the lookout for a small 3-speed Sports. Keep your eyes peeled on your local Craigslists!

(I'm going to try a wanted ad in the local paper, and see if any seniors have one they'd part with on the cheap- that sounds like a good idea.)
Old 08-27-10, 03:28 AM
wahoonc
Membership Not Required

Bikes: Giant Excursion, Raleigh Sports, Raleigh R.S.W. Compact, Motobecane? and about 20 more! OMG

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 14 Posts
Originally Posted by banjo_mole
I'm on the lookout for a small 3-speed Sports. Keep your eyes peeled on your local Craigslists!

(I'm going to try a wanted ad in the local paper, and see if any seniors have one they'd part with on the cheap- that sounds like a good idea.)
What do you mean by small sized? Also diamond frame or step through?

Aaron

ISO: A late 1980's Giant Iguana MTB frameset (or complete bike) 23" Red with yellow graphics.

"Cycling should be a way of life, not a hobby.
RIDE, YOU FOOL, RIDE!"
_Nicodemus

"Steel: nearly a thousand years of metallurgical development
Aluminum: barely a hundred
Which one would you rather have under your butt at 30mph?"
_krazygluon
Old 08-27-10, 10:00 AM
banjo_mole 
Bicycle Adventurer

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by wahoonc
What do you mean by small sized? Also diamond frame or step through?

Aaron
I don't know how small Raleigh frames were made, but my road bikes float around 50cm/19.5". I can ride slightly bigger bikes, though.

And diamond-frames, for the win!

As far as step-throughs go, I don't like women's frames, but I love riding mixtes. Does anyone else love mixtes?
Old 08-27-10, 10:27 AM
gna
Count Orlok Member

Bikes: Raleigh Sports, Raleigh Twenty, Raleigh Wyoming, Raleigh DL1, Schwinn Winter Bike

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked 177 Times in 97 Posts
I don't know how small Raleigh frames were made, but my road bikes float around 50cm/19.5". I can ride slightly bigger bikes, though.

The Sports usually came in a 21" or 23" frame. The standover height on the 21" frame is about 30". They also made a "Camelback" frame, the Colt, which is about 18":

21" men's frames are relatively easy to come by around here, but the 23" is more highly sought after.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
captain..jpg (65.7 KB, 261 views)
Old 08-27-10, 04:45 PM
curbtender

Bikes: Miyata 618 GT, Marinoni, Kestral 200 2002 Trek 5200, KHS Flite, Koga Miyata, Schwinn Spitfire 5, Mondia Special, Univega Alpina, Miyata team Ti, Santa Cruz Highball

Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Quoted: 1613 Post(s)
Liked 2,598 Times in 1,227 Posts

As far as step-throughs go, I don't like women's frames, but I love riding mixtes. Does anyone else love mixtes?
https://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/bik/1922797332.html

Wait a while then offer $75
Old 08-27-10, 05:16 PM
wahoonc
Membership Not Required

Bikes: Giant Excursion, Raleigh Sports, Raleigh R.S.W. Compact, Motobecane? and about 20 more! OMG

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 14 Posts
Originally Posted by gna
The Sports usually came in a 21" or 23" frame. The standover height on the 21" frame is about 30". They also made a "Camelback" frame, the Colt, which is about 18":

21" men's frames are relatively easy to come by around here, but the 23" is more highly sought after.
They also made a diamond frame in the 19" size for a couple of years. 1974? IIRC it was silver.

I suspect the OP can probably ride a 21".

Aaron

ISO: A late 1980's Giant Iguana MTB frameset (or complete bike) 23" Red with yellow graphics.

"Cycling should be a way of life, not a hobby.
RIDE, YOU FOOL, RIDE!"
_Nicodemus

"Steel: nearly a thousand years of metallurgical development
Aluminum: barely a hundred
Which one would you rather have under your butt at 30mph?"
_krazygluon
Old 08-27-10, 08:13 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7353 Post(s)
Liked 2,481 Times in 1,440 Posts
banjo_mole and jedge76, go to https://google.com/alerts and create an alert with terms kinda like this:

3 speed bike site:craigslist.org

It will scour craigslist once a day for you and email you the results.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 08-27-10, 08:18 PM
stien
neits

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Hell I check CL dozens of times/day haha, once a day isn't enough!
Old 08-27-10, 08:38 PM
Andrew F

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I found my last 3 English bikes via the Garbage Men. I told them what I was looking for....they deliver to the drive way for $20!
Old 08-27-10, 09:17 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Wow, I never thought of that! How do you specify what you're looking for? I don't want no stinkin' department store bikes.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Old 08-28-10, 01:39 AM
Sixty Fiver
Bicycle Repair Man !!!

Worked on the old boy between other jobs today... and when work was done we went on a nice pootle. The 451 equipped Twenty is a different bike than it's exported cousins as it has better road manners and is a little faster since it rolls on taller and skinnier tyres.

Old 08-28-10, 01:58 AM
banjo_mole 
Bicycle Adventurer

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
banjo_mole and jedge76, go to https://google.com/alerts and create an alert with terms kinda like this:

3 speed bike site:craigslist.org

It will scour craigslist once a day for you and email you the results.
Wow. That's a really, really cool trick. I'm going to start doing that for everything! This is a pandora's box, opened!

Also, thank y'all for the SF CR link, that's right up my alley, but too far away. :/

-Nick
Old 08-28-10, 12:21 PM
Andrew F

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Wow, I never thought of that! How do you specify what you're looking for? I don't want no stinkin' department store bikes.
Everything they they have brought has a particular odor, I wouldn't say "stinkin'." They know I don't want every bike, so far I've asked them for English 3 speeds and showed them an example. Next I may try road bikes, show them the difference between an alloy seatpost and steel and see what happens.
Old 08-28-10, 03:51 PM
curbtender

Bikes: Miyata 618 GT, Marinoni, Kestral 200 2002 Trek 5200, KHS Flite, Koga Miyata, Schwinn Spitfire 5, Mondia Special, Univega Alpina, Miyata team Ti, Santa Cruz Highball

Garbagemen will catch on. They will become your competitors. Kind of like the 'Borg'. Speaking from experience...
Old 08-28-10, 04:02 PM
chasm54
Banned.

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Sixty Fiver
Worked on the old boy between other jobs today... and when work was done we went on a nice pootle. The 451 equipped Twenty is a different bike than it's exported cousins as it has better road manners and is a little faster since it rolls on taller and skinnier tyres.

Terrific bike. And you've done a nice job cleaning it up.
Old 08-28-10, 04:25 PM
Old Fat Guy
Banned

Liked 10 Times in 6 Posts
There's an old Raleigh rod brake at a local garage sale, I snapped some pics:
https://picasaweb.google.com/ypsibikes/RaleighRodBrake#

Don't know if it's still there, it was a couple of hours ago. I'd be glad to facilitate a deal for anyone. It's in 48197 zip. I think it can be had cheaply. not looking for any personal profit at all. The guy said 'make an offer'. I didn't because I don't need another project.
Old 08-28-10, 04:44 PM
Sixty Fiver
Bicycle Repair Man !!!

Originally Posted by chasm54
Terrific bike. And you've done a nice job cleaning it up.
It just needed to be dusted off...

Installed new tyres, added my old Wright's saddle, spd pedals, and an 18 tooth cog with as KMC chain to bring down the gearing a few steps..
Old 08-28-10, 07:44 PM
Andrew F

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Garbagemen will catch on. They will become your competitors. Kind of like the 'Borg'. Speaking from experience...

Perhaps, I've made friends with my garbagemen, they brought me the bikes not expecting anything, I gave them a tip. I kinda have an advantage, I'm considered a big pickup, so I do things to make their life easier, they appreciate it and are willing to do me favors in return. If they started selling me bikes it would be different I suppose. The key is to develope a freindship. I also have a friend who drives a dumpster truck, he's found a few, I help him price the bikes for CL and he offers me first picks.
Old 08-29-10, 09:15 AM
curbtender

It's how I got started. I've been a garbageman for thirty years. I had a co-worker who had started a side business called the "Krusty Wheel". A few of us kept him supplied with garbage finds until random drug testing made him quit his job over quitng the greenbud. I'd already gotten an eye for a decent bike and started piling up a few. Last time I saw Krusty he was pedaling/selling a really sweet Shelby I'd gotten him years ago.
Old 08-29-10, 01:48 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Wow. That's a really, really cool trick. (google alerts) I'm going to start doing that for everything! This is a pandora's box, opened!

-Nick
To be honest, I didn't want to post it here for several months, because it would diminish my advantage over other collectors. But I'm sharing it now.

Old 08-29-10, 01:53 PM
jedge76

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
To be honest, I didn't want to post it here for several months, because it would diminish my advantage over other collectors. But I'm sharing it now.
Thanks noglider...nice trick and I don't think I'll be one of those collectors leaching from your stock A big help indeed!
Old 08-29-10, 02:07 PM
Sixty Fiver
Bicycle Repair Man !!!

Well... have already put a respectable 40 miles on the new Twenty and have to say I am most pleased and that it is a different ride than it's 406 equipped cousin.

The shifting is as smooth as butter on glass (it's an SA AW), has some very nice road manners, and comes off the line like a little rocket... just perfect for pootling through the urban jungle and dodging errant motorists and bike swallowing potholes.

It's all low tech and old tech but still... these are remarkably nice bikes to ride and think it needs some Wald folding baskets to make it more utilitarian.
Likes For Sixty Fiver:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.