Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

For the love of English 3 speeds...

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

For the love of English 3 speeds...

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-10, 10:11 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7353 Post(s)
Liked 2,481 Times in 1,440 Posts
Originally Posted by Sixty Fiver
Sold my Superbe for $275.00 some years ago... I see it's owner quite often and he figures the bike was worth very penny he paid.

Think that with the price of a Pashley running at roughly $1000.00, $325.00 for a Superbe in near perfect or perhaps NOS condition is not a bad deal.

You could buy it and ride it for 100 years if you wanted to.
You make some good points there. Is the Pashley as difficult to climb hills on as an old Raleigh?

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 09-05-10, 10:22 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Thank you, Sixty Fiver, for this thread, too. You're right that this is about as good as it gets.

I've decided to sell my Hercules. I'll shine it up. I'm not much into collecting bikes for looks, so let someone else have it. I'd rather modify bikes for my needs. The Rudge I got recently is a slightly nicer bike, and the paint and such might not shine up as well, so that will be mine. I finally scraped all the "garage schmutz" off the rear hub to reveal the date: 1962. I had estimated it to be 1960, so not bad. It needs work, and I look forward to it.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Old 09-05-10, 10:24 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

And jedge76, maybe you can think of a reason to visit us here on the right coast, a non-bicycle-purchase reason. Then you'll have combined purposes, and it won't seem so expensive. New York and Boston are both great cities for cycling these days, and they're both full of old Raleighs. I swear, I've been tempted to leave notes on some Raleighs I see in NYC chained to parking meters. It seems some of the owners merely see their bikes as transportation.

Old 09-05-10, 10:35 PM
Sixty Fiver
Bicycle Repair Man !!!

Bikes: See my sig...

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 129 Times in 96 Posts
Originally Posted by noglider
You make some good points there. Is the Pashley as difficult to climb hills on as an old Raleigh?
People don't buy a Pashley to climb hills either...
Old 09-06-10, 12:03 PM
jedge76

Bikes: 1973 Raleigh Superbe

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
And jedge76, maybe you can think of a reason to visit us here on the right coast, a non-bicycle-purchase reason. Then you'll have combined purposes, and it won't seem so expensive. New York and Boston are both great cities for cycling these days, and they're both full of old Raleighs. I swear, I've been tempted to leave notes on some Raleighs I see in NYC chained to parking meters. It seems some of the owners merely see their bikes as transportation.
Funny you should mention that. I've lived in several places growing up and into my adulthood. I lived in South Jersey from '89 to '97. I graduated from Camden Catholic in Cherry Hill in 1995. I have a lot of friends back there and hope to get back. It's strange, but I miss the place. I miss the crazy-nuts on the traffic circles!!! I see your point--most of the CL and Ebay ads I've seen are of that general area. There's a scarcity out here from my search results.
Old 09-06-10, 01:10 PM
mkeller234
Rustbelt Rider

Bikes: 1990 Trek 1420 - 1978 Raleigh Professional - 1973 Schwinn Collegiate - 1974 Schwinn Suburban

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 261 Post(s)
Liked 372 Times in 177 Posts
I will also say that in many cases these bikes sell for much less than what they are actually worth... in many cases you can get a rock solid and dependable bike for very little money and with a little work will have a bike you can ride for decades.
I'd agree with this. I spent $170.00 for my Raleigh DL-1.... and felt a little embarrassed for spending so much on it. After fixing it up and riding it I would do it all over again.
"(@)'(@)"""''"**|(@)(@)*****''(@)
Old 09-06-10, 09:15 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

jedge76, I'm north of that, and we'd be happy to put you up if you make it here. NYC is a fun place and a short train ride from here.

Old 09-06-10, 09:16 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Is the Pashley as difficult to climb hills on as an old Raleigh?
People don't buy a Pashley to climb hills either...
I take that as a "yes".

Old 09-07-10, 12:42 AM
banjo_mole 
Bicycle Adventurer

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
There is something about riding along on a crisp fall-like day and hearing the tick tick tick of that hub as it does what it does so well and despite one's desire to go faster the bike politely reminds us that sometimes, faster is not better, and that there is nothing wrong with pootling and enjoying the sights and smells of the season.
This is a lovely piece of prose. Absoloutely lovely.
Old 09-07-10, 08:26 AM
gna
Count Orlok Member

Bikes: Raleigh Sports, Raleigh Twenty, Raleigh Wyoming, Raleigh DL1, Schwinn Winter Bike

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked 177 Times in 97 Posts
There is something about riding along on a crisp fall-like day and hearing the tick tick tick of that hub as it does what it does so well and despite one's desire to go faster the bike politely reminds us that sometimes, faster is not better, and that there is nothing wrong with pootling and enjoying the sights and smells of the season.

Sunday Morning:

3-speed ride..jpg

MPLSBikeLove 3-Speed Ride
Old 09-07-10, 09:06 AM
greengage

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Wow, wow, wow...that is a beautiful bike. Is that for real though--I thought those quadrant shifters were done with circa 1935? I have on on my '32 Raleigh and it's also fastened to the top-tube. Love the colors on this bike. I had a Humber back in college but it was a pretty average-looking "old black bike" and I regret to say I treated it like a beater and it was eventually stolen from some lamp-post in Cambridge.
Originally Posted by gna
I've seen a few Humbers. Here's a '51--note the fork:

From Lake Pepin 3-Speed Tour

There was also a gentleman from Winnipeg, Jeff (Geoff?) who had a blue Humber.
Old 09-07-10, 06:57 PM
jedge76

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
jedge76, I'm north of that, and we'd be happy to put you up if you make it here. NYC is a fun place and a short train ride from here.
Can you see the skyline from where you're at? I remember playing baseball night games in high school and you could see the Philly skyline. Kind of cool, even though it's Philly!!

I will definitely take you up on that if I get out there. I've tentatively set my sights on next spring or fall (summer is real busy at my work). We'll keep in touch like we are and see what happens.

BTW, just saw a report on the new towers at the Ground Zero site...looks like something to behold. I've been the NYC and not sure what it'd be like crossing that bridge and not seeing those towers. When I was there, it was a bit, well, dirty I guess? But I've heard it's cleaned up ALOT. My boss was back that way last year and told me he loved it and he's a west coast "wuss." Ha!

Hope to get there soon!

P.S. I should clarify...the new towers that are in the process of being built, as you well know I'm sure.
Old 09-07-10, 07:42 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

You can see the NYC skyline from nearby but not from my house.

Old 09-07-10, 08:55 PM
ohjonnybegoode

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 10 Posts
Gazelle Sports Model

Just picked up this little honey today...I think it's been sitting a basement for a loooong time...Haven't had a chance to really inspect it closer, will check the SN on the S/A rear hub tomorrow....underneath all of the dust and grime is a beautiful little bike...she's going to clean up very nicely...here are some crude pics taken in the dark this evening....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
gazelle_1..jpg (104.5 KB, 124 views)
gazelle_2..jpg (102.4 KB, 103 views)
gazelle_3..jpg (101.4 KB, 101 views)
Old 09-07-10, 10:53 PM
jedge76

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I know this may be over-paying, but considering I sold my Giant road bike for an arm and a leg (as well as some money), I think I can go out and get exactly what I want. The guy said he will ship and is very nice. He is in New Jersey, so it's coming from a ways away. Have to see what the final tally on the S&H from the bike shop, which I have talked with, comes out to before making a final decision. We'll see, but this may be the one...

https://philadelphia.craigslist.org/bik/1924504388.html
Old 09-07-10, 11:22 PM
mkeller234
Rustbelt Rider

Bikes: 1990 Trek 1420 - 1978 Raleigh Professional - 1973 Schwinn Collegiate - 1974 Schwinn Suburban

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 261 Post(s)
Liked 372 Times in 177 Posts
Originally Posted by jedge76
I know this may be over-paying, but considering I sold my Giant road bike for an arm and a leg (as well as some money), I think I can go out and get exactly what I want. The guy said he will ship and is very nice. He is in New Jersey, so it's coming from a ways away. Have to see what the final tally on the S&H from the bike shop, which I have talked with, comes out to before making a final decision. We'll see, but this may be the one...

https://philadelphia.craigslist.org/bik/1924504388.html
It's not cheap... but it's not really that terrible either. The Superbes bring in big money it seems and that one appears to be in great shape. Make sure to get better quality photos from the seller if you can.
"(@)'(@)"""''"**|(@)(@)*****''(@)
Old 09-07-10, 11:35 PM
jedge76

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by mkeller234
It's not cheap... but it's not really that terrible either. The Superbes bring in big money it seems and that one appears to be in great shape. Make sure to get better quality photos from the seller if you can.
Spot on mkeller...I called him about some higher resolution photos and he's going to send some tomorrow. I'll see what comes of that as well...good point.
Old 09-08-10, 08:19 AM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Yeah, see if you can snag that one. It does look good.

Old 09-08-10, 10:05 AM
banjo_mole 
Bicycle Adventurer

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Yes. And that's a fine price for a mint Superbe. I'm jealous as heck.
Old 09-08-10, 01:13 PM
jedge76

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Yeah, see if you can snag that one. It does look good.
Thanks for all your info and advice Tom. Hopefully, in a week or so, I'll be posting pics of my new ride. Just hope I have time to take photos cause I'll be riding the hell out of that thing!

Originally Posted by banjo_mole
Yes. And that's a fine price for a mint Superbe. I'm jealous as heck.
Called the bike shop in Lambertville. They were really nice and helpful and have great online reviews. They quoted me a price that was a lot lower than expected (it's still a quote) and have subsided my worries on the shipping side of things.

Banjo, I'm still searching for that 21" Raleigh for you. I'm keeping my eyes open here in the central Valley craigslist and checking Ebay for all English 3 speeds. If I run across anything that is clean or can be cleaned fairly easily, I'll send it your way. I'm still at a loss as to why these bikes are so rare in our area. But you'll find something. What was your budget again?

--Joe
Old 09-09-10, 01:55 AM
banjo_mole 
Bicycle Adventurer

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by jedge76
Banjo, I'm still searching for that 21" Raleigh for you. I'm keeping my eyes open here in the central Valley craigslist and checking Ebay for all English 3 speeds. If I run across anything that is clean or can be cleaned fairly easily, I'll send it your way. I'm still at a loss as to why these bikes are so rare in our area. But you'll find something. What was your budget again?

--Joe
Hey Joe!

I'm pleased you're offering help. My budget is variable, but I'm definitely trying to stay on the "affordable" side of things. Let me know what comes up. And yes! It's so bizarre that the central coast is a 3-speed black hole! Maybe they all fall into a wormhole and wind up back on the east coast.

-Nick
Old 09-09-10, 12:52 PM
Sixty Fiver
Bicycle Repair Man !!!

Old 09-09-10, 03:32 PM
curbtender

Bikes: Miyata 618 GT, Marinoni, Kestral 200 2002 Trek 5200, KHS Flite, Koga Miyata, Schwinn Spitfire 5, Mondia Special, Univega Alpina, Miyata team Ti, Santa Cruz Highball

Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Quoted: 1613 Post(s)
Liked 2,598 Times in 1,227 Posts
Right up '5' from you... https://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/bik/1945223736.html
two antike bike century and ralehg - $150 (tracy)

Date: 2010-09-09, 12:51PM PDT
Reply to: sale-r8q7d-1945223736@craigslist.org [Errors when replying to ads?]

antikes 2x 150
  • it's NOT ok to contact this poster with services or other commercial interests
Old 09-09-10, 06:12 PM
kingfish254

Bikes: 1989 Dahon Stainless Classic III Folder - 1990 Dahon Mariner Classic III Folder - 2005 Dahon Jetstream P8 Full Suspension Folder

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Looks the whole fam damily!
Old 09-09-10, 10:06 PM
Sixty Fiver
Bicycle Repair Man !!!

Originally Posted by kingfish254
Looks the whole fam damily!
Still missing one...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.