Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Shoes for flats

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Shoes for flats

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-15, 02:09 PM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6844 Post(s)
Liked 736 Times in 469 Posts
Originally Posted by philbob57
Add FiveTen to Chrome and DZR.
Ya...

https://fiveten.com/products/bike

Last edited by TimothyH; 09-15-15 at 02:14 PM.
Old 09-15-15, 02:14 PM
BillyD
Administrator

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene '04; Bridgestone RB-1 '92

Mentioned: 325 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11975 Post(s)
Liked 6,655 Times in 3,486 Posts
Originally Posted by merlinextraligh

So go ahead and ride flat pedals with sketchers if that's your preference. But realize, one you'll at best be "hipster ironic" not "old school", and that you are giving up some efficiency.
I think his "old school" reference is completely valid. I think he's referring to the early-to-mid-1970s when the first bicycle boom occurred. I used to ride primarily in Central Park, NYC, which is where everybody who was anybody rode back then, and you could go all day and MAYBE see one or two guys in cycling jerseys and shorts. They were considered racers, and they were rare, maybe 1% of the cycling population. A little larger percentage used tightened toe clips, maybe 10% I guess compared to loosely worn toe clips, because they heard that was the way to wear them, not because they necessarily found them efficient.

Compare that to today's scene, where folks kitted up in racing gear and clips pedals make up probably 70 - 80% of the cycling population. I think that's what OP is referring to, that in the old days it was rare to see anyone riding even with tightened toe clips, much less cliplesss, which wasn't in vogue yet.

Today when I ride in a congested traffic and/or pedestrian area like NYC, I always use toe clips, worn loosely not tightened, because they're easier to escape from and I value my safety and health over efficiency.
Old 09-15-15, 02:18 PM
f4rrest
Farmer tan

Bikes: Allez, SuperSix Evo

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2870 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 23 Posts
Originally Posted by BillyD
The gentleman has a valid personal opinion, shared by countless thousands of cyclists out there. We can all express a different opinion without being insulting or condescending.

I didn't find the OP insulting or condescending (much).
Old 09-15-15, 02:19 PM
BillyD
Administrator

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene '04; Bridgestone RB-1 '92

Mentioned: 325 Post(s)
Quoted: 11975 Post(s)
Liked 6,655 Times in 3,486 Posts
HarHar
Old 09-15-15, 02:30 PM
dtrain
L-I-V-I-N

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Compare that to today's scene, where folks kitted up in racing gear and clips pedals make up probably 70 - 80% of the cycling population.
Wut? I see your point...but I'd guess that way overstates the numbers. For example, several people in my small office commute most days yet don't own cycling specific shoes or any lycra. Not to mention all the tight jeans, fixed gear, messenger types around here...

Guess it depends on what you mean by "cycling population"...

'14 carbon Synapse - '12 CAAD 10 5 - '99 Gary Fisher Big Sur

Last edited by dtrain; 09-15-15 at 02:35 PM.
Old 09-15-15, 02:35 PM
mjrLV

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Bontrager Multisport SSR.

I have Shimano's mentioned in the pic, and they slip a bit on my platform Saint Pedals.
Old 09-15-15, 02:38 PM
DogBrain

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Vans low top canvas (era or classic) with the waffle soles are great on flat pedals. The waffles capture any teeth or knobs on the pedals for a really secure connection.
Old 09-15-15, 03:40 PM
vangoes

Bikes: Ridley Fenix AL2

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I think his "old school" reference is completely valid. I think he's referring to the early-to-mid-1970s when the first bicycle boom occurred. I used to ride primarily in Central Park, NYC, which is where everybody who was anybody rode back then, and you could go all day and MAYBE see one or two guys in cycling jerseys and shorts. They were considered racers, and they were rare, maybe 1% of the cycling population. A little larger percentage used tightened toe clips, maybe 10% I guess compared to loosely worn toe clips, because they heard that was the way to wear them, not because they necessarily found them efficient.
This^ I saw my first set of toe clips in the 70's my brother got a bike that had them and technically speaking, flats were invented before toe clips.

I did not mean to offend the fans of clips and clipless technologies, I just don't feel that the advantages for me justify the risks at my current level of cycling experience. I have enough trouble remembering to downshift at stops, let alone remove my feet from clips on my pedals before I fall over. You'd be surprised how hard it is to regain your balance on a bike after 25 years without using one and the arthritis in my neck doesn't help.

The flat pedals I have are mountain bike pedals which have cleats on them, the sketchers I picked have relatively flat soles but with texture, so I do get some push and pull at the top and bottom if I attempt to apply it.

Laces are not a deal breaker as long as they are controlled from getting loose and working into the chain.

Thanks for the suggestions such as the Shimano shoes that can later be converted to clipless. I will look for them at my LBS.

I will check out all the other brands mentioned in the thread as well. Thanks all!
Likes For vangoes:
Old 09-15-15, 05:43 PM
gc3
Falls Downalot

Bikes: Now I Got Two

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I didn't realize I was supposed to change my shoes every time I got a flat tire....

...or is this thread about riding in Florida?
Old 09-15-15, 05:53 PM
gsa103

Bikes: Bianchi Infinito (Celeste, of course)

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 754 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 77 Posts
Originally Posted by gc3
I didn't realize I was supposed to change my shoes every time I got a flat tire....

...or is this thread about riding in Florida?
That would be the flip-flops mentioned previously and we've now gone full circle....
Old 09-15-15, 05:53 PM
surgeonstone

Bikes: 1976 FRESCHI, 2004 Crumpton.

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 925 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 10 Posts
The gentleman has a valid personal opinion, shared by countless thousands of cyclists out there. We can all express a different opinion without being insulting or condescending.
Yeah but it's not nearly as much fun.
Old 09-15-15, 05:56 PM
surgeonstone

Originally Posted by 3alarmer
Yup , that's why we had world war 2, we forgot about world war 1.
Old 09-15-15, 05:59 PM
surgeonstone

Originally Posted by vangoes
I'm an old school newbie and I have no desire to use clips of any sort on my pedals. I've read that even the pros don't pull up most of the time they just are much better at easing up the pressure on the up stroke and applying it on the down stroke.

Anyway I'm a flats guy. I found some pairs of "Sketchers" that are incredibly light and comfortable and don't have laces.

What kind of shoes do you other flats people use?
I use the same shoes on flat territory as I use on hilly territory. I also use the same shoes when I get a flat, seems silly to change shoes just because you get a flat.
Old 09-15-15, 06:09 PM
jon c. 

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1591 Post(s)
Liked 1,020 Times in 572 Posts
I wear bike shoes without cleats on platforms. I need a stiff sole or I can't overcome a tendency to bend a bit at the toes. Among my regular footwear, only the Birks have stiff enough soles. (I wear them riding at the beach.)
Old 09-15-15, 06:30 PM
f4rrest
Farmer tan

Bikes: Allez, SuperSix Evo

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 2870 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 23 Posts
I actually brought some really light flip flops in a pocket on a remote solo ride in the mountains just in case I had to walk out.
Old 09-15-15, 06:57 PM
Doug28450

Bikes: 2016 Giant Propel Advanced SL 1

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 1668 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
HarHar
Go on cruise...

Lose sense of humor.
Old 09-15-15, 08:28 PM
PaulRivers

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 539 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 38 Posts
Chrome Kursk:
Kursk Bike Sneaker All Black | Urban Bike Sneaker | Chrome Industries

Most "normal" looking shoe that's designed for biking and fits my foot. Has good grip on pedals. Biggest drawback is trying to find genuinely flat pedals - so many of the high quality "flat" pedals are concave. Supposedly they're more comfortable, I have a nice pair but have not been a fan, and trying to decide what genuinely flat pedal to buy.

Last edited by PaulRivers; 09-15-15 at 08:31 PM.
Old 09-15-15, 08:41 PM
bikepro

Bikes: Look 585

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by merlinextraligh
1) old school is not Sketchers on flat pedals; old school is toe clips, straps, and cleats nailed in the sole of your cycling shoes.

2) As afore mentioned clipless is about more than pulling up. A good pedal stroke pulls back at the bottom and pushes over at the top. You can't effectively do that with flat pedals. ( as I recently reminded myself on a rental bike with flat pedals)

So go ahead and ride flat pedals with sketchers if that's your preference. But realize, one you'll at best be "hipster ironic" not "old school", and that you are giving up some efficiency.
These were the style around 84:

1980s Marresi Cycling Shoes 2 with Cleats Size 45 | eBay
Old 09-15-15, 08:53 PM
LesterOfPuppets
cowboy, steel horse, etc

Bikes: everywhere

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 12781 Post(s)
Liked 7,696 Times in 4,085 Posts
Anyway I'm a flats guy. I found some pairs of "Sketchers" that are incredibly light and comfortable and don't have laces.

Vans are hella rad on BMX pedals. They come without laces, too.

Old 09-15-15, 08:57 PM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Quoted: 6844 Post(s)
Liked 736 Times in 469 Posts
OP said he didn't like laces, doesn't want sneakers. He wants flats.

Pigeon - DZRshoes

$95 list.

I still think it is a good idea to get shoes that have cleats as an option. Doesn't mean he has to use them but it's nice to be able to go that route in the future. To each his own.
Old 09-15-15, 10:55 PM
LesterOfPuppets
cowboy, steel horse, etc

Bikes: everywhere

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 12781 Post(s)
Liked 7,696 Times in 4,085 Posts
Originally Posted by TimothyH
OP said he didn't like laces, doesn't want sneakers. He wants flats.
The OP, @vangoes, hasn't shared a sneaker aversion, that was @RJM who did that.
Old 09-16-15, 02:02 AM
Soody

Bikes: Gunnar, Shogun, Concorde, F Moser, Pete Tansley, Rocky Mtn, Diamant, Krapf, Marin, Avanti, Winora, Emmelle, Ken Evans

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 275 Post(s)
Liked 417 Times in 218 Posts
maybe martial arts/ free running shoes could be good with flats - they're super grippy. I tried some Onitsuka Tigers on today to maybe take bike touring (with cages & straps) and they were very comfortable, but pricey. Cheap is

[h=1]Tiger Claw Feiyue[/h]
Amazon.com : Tiger Claw Feiyue Shoes (28 Child 13) : Boxing And Martial Arts Foot Gear : Sports & Outdoors

awesome shoes.
Old 09-16-15, 05:45 AM
JonathanGennick 

Bikes: Priority 600, Priority Continuum, Devinci Dexter

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 685 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 37 Posts

Five-Ten Freeriders. Nice flat soles that lock into the pins and screws on my mountain-bike flats.

I've a good friend who runs the same setup on his Specialized Roubaix. He put flat bars on it too.
Old 09-16-15, 06:33 AM
seypat

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 3241 Post(s)
Liked 2,512 Times in 1,510 Posts
I don't know if you will be using straps or not. But if you are going with straps, make sure the shoes don't have any notches/grooves running vertically up the side of the sole. The strap will snag on the notches in a quick attempt to free the shoe/foot from the pedal if the strap is tight.
Old 09-16-15, 09:55 AM
Kabloink

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
I tend to use New Balance cross training tennis shoes. They have a stiffer sole than normal running shoes which works fairly well for flats.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.