Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

What ultrasonic chain cleaner do you guys recommend?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

What ultrasonic chain cleaner do you guys recommend?

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-23, 12:55 PM
etherhuffer 

Bikes: Surly Long Haul Trucker,81 Fuji Gran Tour SE, 83 Fuji S12S LTD, Voyageur 11.8 chrome, Raleigh R300 Touring, Voyageur 11.8

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 283 Post(s)
Liked 503 Times in 228 Posts
Originally Posted by cyccommute
Thank you for the PSA. That guy (and a few others) are lost causes, however. For those guys, I’d suggest using gasoline in the ultrasonicator at 90°F while smoking a cigarette and playing with a Bic lighter. They are headed towards a Darwin award anyway so why not go out in style?!

For the rest of the world, don’t do this!
I prefer ethyl ether but never get much work done as I am asleep……Ahem…..
I had two friends from high school using gasoline in a garage in winter with a heater going. Terrible burns to both. Anyone who has rotated through the burn unit at Harborview in Seattle will never take flammable solvents for granted ever again.
Old 07-17-23, 11:33 AM
sch

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 303 Post(s)
Liked 136 Times in 104 Posts
Best simpleton youtube video on why gasoline vapors are bad:
Old 07-17-23, 11:46 AM
marathon marke

Bikes: Felt F65, Trek FX 7.3, Centurion Professional

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by bmc5733946
In order to keep my US cleaner fluid clean, I put parts in a zip lock bag with whatever cleaning agent (usually Pine-Sol, original formula) expel most of the air and zip the bag closed then leave the top of the bag hanging outside of the tank cover. Once in a while the bag fails and the water is contaminated but my method allows different cleaning agents without draining the tank every time.

Brian
This is pretty much the way I do it, but I do close the zip lock bag. I also use diluted Simple Green.
The bag can be rinsed out and reused many times.
Old 07-20-23, 05:03 AM
Shadco 
Resident PIA

Bikes: Gunnar Roadie, Look 765 Optimum, Spesh Aethos

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 212 Post(s)
Liked 356 Times in 186 Posts
Originally Posted by Polaris OBark
I wax my chain so that I never have to deal with this.
Despite owning a Golden Retriever, and a Maine Coon Cat my chains aren’t hairy.

I don't know where I am now...
05 Gunnar Roadie Chorus/Record
67'er
Likes For Shadco:
Old 07-20-23, 07:54 AM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 2241 Post(s)
Liked 3,443 Times in 1,802 Posts
Originally Posted by Shadco
Despite owning a Golden Retriever, and a Maine Coon Cat my chains aren’t hairy.

Well, I have 2 goldens and 2 cats, so there is that. I don't miss the nasty drivetrain cleanup, but I can't honestly say it ever attracted pet hair.
Likes For Polaris OBark:
Old 07-20-23, 08:06 AM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 2241 Post(s)
Liked 3,443 Times in 1,802 Posts
This guy definitely needs wax ...

( Link to NYT article )

Last edited by Polaris OBark; 07-20-23 at 08:17 AM. Reason: Added source link
Old 08-08-23, 10:40 PM
soyabean

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 540 Post(s)
Liked 416 Times in 274 Posts
Originally Posted by zandoval
Finally... Someone with the cojones to mention the all powerful, economical, holy grail, of parts cleaning... "The Gasoline Soak".

Bravo Soya!

Gasoline has always been a time-tested old fashioned common cleaner in both work garages and DIY home auto mechanics, afterall, automotive repair is generally a messy thing, it doesn't really change the flavor to a soup mix of engine oil, tranny fluid, acetone (brake fluid), ethanol (coolant), diesel (penetrant), I mean, by the end of the 8 hour day, this stuff is all over the floor, to be cleaned up for the next opening day.

Cyclists, are less likely to do any automotive work on their vehicles, let alone even own one, so they are more likely to "keep it clean" as they tinker with their precious ride indoors inside their home. That makes the man-Karens do what they gotta do, it's in their nature
Likes For soyabean:
Old 08-09-23, 05:00 AM
Jeff Neese

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1083 Post(s)
Liked 687 Times in 441 Posts
While some of these "hacks" are interesting and seemingly work fairly well (jar on top of the washing machine, orbital sander, etc.), hopefully everyone understands that these are not in any way equivalent to an ultrasonic cleaner. I'd encourage people to Google "cavitation bubbles" or simply "How does an ultrasonic cleaner work?"

I bought the Vevor 6L mentioned above, and Harbor Freight now also sells the same one, branded Central Machinery. It works much better than the old 2.5L plastic Harbor Freight model, and has plenty of room to clean a lot of parts all at once. I use Krud Kutter, mostly. You don't need much - the bubbles do all the work.
Likes For Jeff Neese:
Old 08-09-23, 01:50 PM
soyabean

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 540 Post(s)
Liked 416 Times in 274 Posts
Originally Posted by Jeff Neese
While some of these "hacks" are interesting and seemingly work fairly well (jar on top of the washing machine, orbital sander, etc.), hopefully everyone understands that these are not in any way equivalent to an ultrasonic cleaner. I'd encourage people to Google "cavitation bubbles" or simply "How does an ultrasonic cleaner work?"

I bought the Vevor 6L mentioned above, and Harbor Freight now also sells the same one, branded Central Machinery. It works much better than the old 2.5L plastic Harbor Freight model, and has plenty of room to clean a lot of parts all at once. I use Krud Kutter, mostly. You don't need much - the bubbles do all the work.
Well said.

The reason why your 6L model works "better" is because it has stronger transdiucers. You'll notice tiny cleaners are only half the Wattage of their larger tanks.

I love mine and how fast it works. I don't bother telling other folks how awesome one is. All that matters is how awesome one is for me.

Those "I don't need one" folks are usually the ones that don't/can't have one. Just like e-bike haters are those that don't/can't afford one
Likes For soyabean:
Old 08-10-23, 07:10 AM
Jeff Neese

Originally Posted by soyabean
Well said.

The reason why your 6L model works "better" is because it has stronger transdiucers. You'll notice tiny cleaners are only half the Wattage of their larger tanks.
Not only more powerful transducers, but also more of them. The 6L Vevor has two.
Likes For Jeff Neese:
Old 08-10-23, 07:51 AM
Shimagnolo

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 3376 Post(s)
Liked 5,522 Times in 2,862 Posts
Originally Posted by Jeff Neese
There are Chinese sellers on eBay that sell that unit in many different sizes (and with different branding).
I bought 10L unit that can take a large chainring or crankarm with without problem.
So far, no complaints.
Likes For Shimagnolo:
Old 08-10-23, 08:21 AM
Jeff Neese

Originally Posted by Shimagnolo
There are Chinese sellers on eBay that sell that unit in many different sizes (and with different branding).
I bought 10L unit that can take a large chainring or crankarm with without problem.
So far, no complaints.
Sure - Vevor is just a brand, one of several that all sell the same unit. I probably would have bought the "Central Machinery" one from Harbor Freight, but I don't think they had them at the time.