Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

How often will you travel for a ride?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-15, 02:02 PM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts

For a specific ride (group or solo), not just to get on your bike.
Old 09-21-15, 02:04 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
When you say travel does that mean transporting your bike and not riding to the ride?
Old 09-21-15, 02:05 PM
rms13

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 276 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Seattle Forrest
For a specific ride (group or solo), not just to get on your bike.
Rarely if ever. I usually only do group rides where I can ride to and from the ride. Sometimes I will drive 10 miles or so to a ride if I have time constraints but I generally prefer to ride to and from home
Old 09-21-15, 02:16 PM
Seattle Forrest

Originally Posted by caloso
When you say travel does that mean transporting your bike and not riding to the ride?
Yeah.

There are a lot of great rides I can reach from my front door, but there are a lot more that are too far to pedal to. I think that's true for everyone.

You might have a blast if you drove your bike out to Mono Lake and then rode up over Tioga Pass and into Yosemite. Long sustained climb, incredible scenery, bit less traffic than Sacramento ... but how often would you do it? You could always go ride Shasta instead.

I'm planning out a few more rides as fall sets in and asking myself the same question. Got snowed on a couple weeks ago at Slate Peak and I want to do a couple of mountain roads before they close.
Old 09-21-15, 02:21 PM
dstrong 

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix, Interloc Impala, ParkPre Image C6

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 254 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 56 Posts
3-4 times a year. Mostly for rides locally but too far to ride to. Highlight was last year when a buddy flew us and our bikes up to Wichita Falls for the Hotter 'n Hell.

2014 Specialized Roubaix2003 Interloc Impala2007 ParkPre Image C6 (RIP)

Old 09-21-15, 02:35 PM
RPK79
Custom User Title

Bikes: Fuji Roubaix Pro & Quintana Roo Kilo

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2863 Post(s)
Liked 31 Times in 14 Posts
I do group rides in a town sort of between work and home twice a week (while they run them). I also a few organized rides a year. Otherwise I ride from home for the most part.

I have driven to a large hill out of town to do repeats and once last year I drove to my home town 25 miles away to hit up a bunch of hills on a route I pre-planned.
Old 09-21-15, 02:39 PM
MikeyBoyAz
Middle-Aged Member

Bikes: Bianchi Infinito CV 2014, TREK HIFI 2011, Argon18 E-116 2013

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
For each event, I only drive once... once I make it to Le Tour, I will likely have to travel every other, to every day to be at the next start.
Old 09-21-15, 02:41 PM
TrojanHorse
SuperGimp

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 147 Post(s)
Quoted: 1107 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 47 Posts
I rarely drive if it's just me riding, but I will make a drive to meet up with friends or do a century. I'd say maybe 10 times a year? It's nice to see alternate scenery some times.
Old 09-21-15, 02:50 PM
Seattle Forrest

Every spring I do a few rides from Leavenworth, a smallish mountain town about 100 miles (2.5 hours drive) from me. Usually in April, when the roads have melted but the mountain tops are still snowy.

Over the year I'll drive my bike around a lot (couple times a month) to ride some forest service road in the mountains, or out in farm country, or take a ferry and ride around an island. Always a great time. I'm trying to do new routes instead of stuff I've already seen.

I'm getting ready to go to Winthrop (~200 miles, ~4 hours drive) in part to ride over Washington Pass. Trying to decide to do it soon while the maples and cottonwoods are doing their fall color near the valley floor, or to wait a bit and go when the larches at the top turn.
Old 09-21-15, 03:22 PM
Juan Foote
LBKA (formerly punkncat)

Bikes: Spec Roubaix SL4, GT Traffic 1.0

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 2208 Post(s)
Liked 960 Times in 686 Posts
I would say that where I live now I drive to a starting point likely 3 out of 4 times or so. Often that point is only 1.5 miles down the road. My neighborhood is situated on one side of a main hwy and very hilly on the way out/in. If I drive a mile over to a nearby church I don't have to cross that highway, and most importantly can avoid those three killer hills on any of the routes back to the house.
Any time that I ride with the wife on the trikes, we drive to a local town with many golf cart paths, local park with paths, or the beltline in Atl. She isn't yet (and may never be) fully comfortable riding with vehicles around.

I honestly miss being able to do an 'easy' ride from right out the door anymore. I would probably ride more.
Old 09-21-15, 03:28 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
Yeah.

There are a lot of great rides I can reach from my front door, but there are a lot more that are too far to pedal to. I think that's true for everyone.

You might have a blast if you drove your bike out to Mono Lake and then rode up over Tioga Pass and into Yosemite. Long sustained climb, incredible scenery, bit less traffic than Sacramento ... but how often would you do it? You could always go ride Shasta instead.

I'm planning out a few more rides as fall sets in and asking myself the same question. Got snowed on a couple weeks ago at Slate Peak and I want to do a couple of mountain roads before they close.
Most of my rides are from my front door or office. If I'm racing or doing a team training ride, I might drive up to 90 minutes, but never a 3-4 hour drive like to Shasta or Mono. I wish I could, but I just cannot justify the car time.
Old 09-21-15, 03:41 PM
kc0bbq

Bikes: 2006 Raleigh Cadent 2.0, 2016 Trek Emonda ALR 6, 2015 Propel Advanced SL 2, 2000 K2 Zed SE

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
3-4 times per week in season, since most of my group rides are after work, plus the occasional century or ride that I don't feel like turning from a 70 miler to a 140+ miler. Weekend group rides I'll normally ride to the start of.
Old 09-21-15, 03:41 PM
redfooj
pluralis majestatis

Bikes: a DuhRosa

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 537 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
when i lived in urban texas, used to have to transport the bike 30 miles - 45 minutes of driving at 7am on saturdays - to join the club.

ride anywhere within town and youre liable to get sucked up by a pothole if youre not already flattened by an SUV.

it was a ridiculous notion to go through that trouble to spin a bicycle. now i live in a real civilized place where i can walk out the door and ride through the city or through the backwoods or up the hills or along the river as i please
Old 09-21-15, 03:43 PM
HornedFrog

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
1/mo for a t-shirt charity ride. living in downtown dallas these are must-do's to keep my sanity.
Old 09-21-15, 03:43 PM
PepeM

Mentioned: 180 Post(s)
Quoted: 2739 Post(s)
Liked 119 Times in 59 Posts
Rarely, but some times it is worth driving a bit to get to the nicer roads.
Old 09-21-15, 03:49 PM
2manybikes

Bikes: 2 many

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1266 Post(s)
Liked 323 Times in 169 Posts
2-3 times a year.
Old 09-21-15, 04:21 PM
Heathpack 
Has a magic bike

Bikes: 2018 Scott Spark, 2015 Fuji Norcom Straight, 2014 BMC GF01, 2013 Trek Madone

Mentioned: 699 Post(s)
Quoted: 4456 Post(s)
Liked 425 Times in 157 Posts
Commonly, around 3-5 rides per month.

Sometimes because I need to get a specific workout in on a specific course and riding there either would make the workout too long or not be feasible because of traffic or distance. Sometimes I am pre-riding part or all of a race course, I need to go where that course is. Sometimes just because there's lots of great mountains to ride all over SoCal.
Old 09-21-15, 04:31 PM
DBrown9383

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm a newbie but have loaded up the bikes 3x this summer for different destinations where we read the bike riding/bike paths are awesome. Each trip was well worth it but most of our riding is from the front door. I hate my trunk rack and it's always a PITA to load up the bikes so they don't get scratched or scratch the car.
Old 09-21-15, 04:35 PM
Cheddarpecker

Bikes: Fuji Allegro

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I knock my bike down every weekend and haul it about twenty miles to take it out and ride it for twenty miles. I presently ride with a friend. Otherwise, I ride from the front door when I can. Can't say much for my first year of cycling, but I intend to drive five hours for one this weekend.
Old 09-21-15, 04:48 PM
deacon mark

Bikes: Habanero Titanium Team Nuevo

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 399 Post(s)
Liked 185 Times in 121 Posts
I leave my house on the bike and then in less than 1 mile have country roads. I almost never pack the bike and take it to a ride, I have met a person I know twice in the last 5 years for a ride but frankly if I have to transport a bike..............the time is not worth it......... I could have been riding.
Old 09-21-15, 05:58 PM
Machka 
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Quoted: 3203 Post(s)
Liked 596 Times in 329 Posts
We drive to a place to ride pretty much every weekend.

We try to plan weekends away (that usually involve cycling and possibly also hiking) about once a month.

We drive to specific events, every time we go to a specific event.

If we're doing a collection of randonneuring events, that might be half-a-dozen times during the more summery half of the year.
Old 09-21-15, 06:02 PM
CafeVelo

Bikes: S-Works Tarmac, Nashbar CX, Trek 2200 trainer bike, Salsa Casseroll commuter, old school FS MTB

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
My club ride is unreachable by bike. It would be a double century every Tuesday and Thursday. I'd love that, but I don't have the time, and it would be a dark ride through the city on the way home. Other than that, rarely. I go to a few event rides in interesting places a year (within the state or a short distance out of it), and I keep a bike in my car most of the time so I can ride if I want or need to, but it's not often.
Old 09-21-15, 06:15 PM
HazeT

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Yeah.

Great, now I've got obsessed about doing that Tioga pass ride. Time to start planning and being about 3 hours away, I guess it's the perfect timing to wake up @ 3, carbo load a and drive to mono lake
Old 09-21-15, 06:44 PM
RJM
I'm doing it wrong.

Bikes: Rivendell Appaloosa, Rivendell Frank Jones Sr., Trek Fuel EX9, Kona Jake the Snake CR, Niner Sir9

Mentioned: 85 Post(s)
Quoted: 9742 Post(s)
Liked 2,812 Times in 1,664 Posts
Every time I ride mountain bike trails I drive there with the bike on the back of the car. Just the way it is.

If I'm doing a solo ride, I leave from the house and do one of the great routes I have out in the country roads about a hundred yards from my front door. I've only driven to a few routes where I rode it solo, and that was when I was really checking out specific routes that someone told me about and the starts were all over twenty miles away with ridiculous roads to get there...so, I just couldn't ride over there. I would have no problem driving to a cool new route now, but I just don't know about any new ones.

Charity rides all require me driving to the start.

If I'm riding with the group, Monday, Wednesday, and Saturday I would have to drive to the start. Tuesday leaves close enough that I can ride from the house...the start is only about 5 miles away. Thursday, what I usually do is take the bike to work and just ride from the office. That start is only blocks away from where I work and I generally have enough time to get a decent pre-ride in before the start time.
Old 09-21-15, 07:22 PM
kbarch

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 1096 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Before I moved out of the city, I didn't even have a car, so driving wasn't an option. I did take a subway a couple of times though. Then, once I moved out of the city, I had to drive to every park race.

But for more casual rides, I've only driven to the NJ Gran Fondo. PITA. Really, no drive of less than an hour is going to get me to more interesting roads than I have virtually outside my door. I'll be riding to the start of my next event century on Sunday.

I'd still like to make a trip up to Lake Placid to take on Whiteface, but that would mean a long drive - nearly 5 hours each way.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.