Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

New to the biking world - need advice

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-17, 01:44 PM
ajflaco

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi Everyone,

I'm new to the whole biking scene. I used to bike a lot as a kid but now I'm an adult and I haven't used a bike in a long time.

I'm looking for something I can use weekly maybe 2-3 times a week.
I live in Mississauga and I want to start biking from Park Lawn to the Union station area. So it would be about 20 kms every time I bike to and back from work.

I can't decide between a fixed speed bike... a hybrid or a road bike? I'm not experienced.. I have read a lot about the bike differences but they all say both are good for commuting? I'd appreciate some advice on which type of bike I should get. I'd also like to put a carrier on the back or front since I will have to change my clothing by the time I get to work...

My budget for a bike is around 300-400 bucks, and I'm open to buying a used bike... also how bad are the bike options at Canadian tire...? Should I stay away from department store bikes? and do you have any recommendations for used bike stores in the GTA?

Basically I just want something that will last me a few summers and something that will be able to handle 60 kms a week of riding.

*** I'm pretty short - 5'2

Thank you guys!
I appreciate any comments and help

Last edited by ajflaco; 06-19-17 at 02:18 PM.
Old 06-16-17, 02:34 PM
Boondocksaints

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ajflaco
Hi Everyone,

I'm new to the whole biking scene. I used to bike a lot as a kid but now I'm an adult and I haven't used a bike in a long time.

I'm looking for something I can use weekly maybe 2-3 times a week.
I live in Mississauga and I want to start biking from Park Lawn to the Union station area. So it would be about 20 kms every time I bike to and back from work.

I can't decide between a fixed speed bike... a hybrid or a road bike? I'm not experienced.. I have read a lot about the bike differences but they all say both are good for commuting? I'd appreciate some advice on which type of bike I should get. I'd also like to put a carrier on the back or front since I will have to change my clothing by the time I get to work...

My budget for a bike is around 300-400 bucks, and I'm open to buying a used bike... also how bad are the bike options at Canadian tire...? Should I stay away from department store bikes? and do you have any recommendations for used bike stores in the GTA?

Basically I just want something that will last me a few summers and something that will be able to handle 60 kms a week of riding.

Thank you guys!
I appreciate any comments and help
In that price range, you can't really get a decent road bike unless it's used. You probably need to spend $700-$800 + (American dollars.) Of course you can spend more, but spending this much will get you a good road bike that is almost as good as others more expensive and much more expensive.

Since this is for a 20 KMs commute each way, I personally would just get a hybrid if I were you. Fixed bike means you'll probably be sweating your ass off for no reason. There are no gears, so your legs will be working hard on uphills.

People who uses fixies are equivalent to people who still use typewriters to me - just why? To be hipster? Less efficiency, less performance, tend to be more expensive than hybrids, etc.

But for your price range, you can get a good hybrid. If you use Ebay or Craigslist, you can get a really good used one as well.

Most hybrids will allow you to put racks in back and front to hold your stuff, have water bottle holders, etc. It is basically designed exactly for what you are looking for.

Don't get department store bikes- those are utter garbage.

You can get a decent new bike on sites like:

Nashbar, Performance Bike, Bikes Direct.

Or do Ebay/Craigslist.

Or just go to your local bike shop and see what's on sale or clearance.

Here's a great article on best bikes for beginners.

https://thesweethome.com/reviews/best...commuter-bike/
Old 06-16-17, 02:36 PM
ajflaco

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for the advice! I think a Hybrid is the best option too.
Old 06-16-17, 02:39 PM
alcjphil

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1820 Post(s)
Liked 1,696 Times in 976 Posts
Originally Posted by Boondocksaints
You can get a decent new bike on sites like:

Nashbar, Performance Bike, Bikes Direct.

Those retail sites are not economical for Canadians like the OP. If looking for useful advice for commuter type bikes, visit the closest MEC store(very similar to REI in the US)
Old 06-16-17, 04:07 PM
mcours2006

Bikes: ...a few.

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 2012 Post(s)
Liked 409 Times in 235 Posts
Parklawn to Union is a pretty flat ride, so if you go with a single speed it should work fine. But if you want some variety, especially if you do some weekend riding, then you probably want something with gears.

I would stay away from Canadian Tire or any of the department store stuff. For your budget you can find something used easily, like a Giant Roam 2, or FX7.2/7.3, or a Norco VFR 5 or 6.

Here's a sample:

Giant roam hybrid | cruiser, commuter & hybrid | City of Toronto | Kijiji

Giant roam hybrid | cruiser, commuter & hybrid | City of Toronto | Kijiji
(Bit overpriced)

Trek FX 7.2 | other | City of Toronto | Kijiji

trek bike for sale.... | road | City of Toronto | Kijiji

trek bike for sale | road | City of Toronto | Kijiji
I think this is the same one.

Brand new Norco VFR Forma 4 Road bike | road | Mississauga / Peel Region | Kijiji

Norco XFR 4 Forma Bicycle | cruiser, commuter & hybrid | City of Toronto | Kijiji

Norco City Bike | cruiser, commuter & hybrid | City of Toronto | Kijiji

Get busy!!
Old 06-16-17, 05:09 PM
exmechanic89

Bikes: '00 Koga Miyata Full Pro Oval Road bike.

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 475 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
Figure out your size before you start shopping, OP. It's very important! Anu bike shop can tell you the general size frame you need for $0, or use an online guide. Dont make the mistake of buying a bike that doesnt fit because it was a great price.
Old 06-19-17, 02:11 PM
ajflaco

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
thanks for tips!!!
Old 06-19-17, 02:30 PM
Fastfingaz

Quoted: 176 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 13 Posts
Tell you what it doesn't have to be hilly to want or wish you had some more gears,, just get a good head wind coming your way you'll look for em and if you got em you'll use them,,,, and be glad you have them,,,