Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Folding Bikes
Reload this Page >

New Bike Day to replace stolen BYB: Tern Link D8

Search
Notices
Folding Bikes Discuss the unique features and issues of folding bikes. Also a great place to learn what folding bike will work best for your needs.

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-22, 09:18 PM
willydstyle

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 225 Post(s)
Liked 54 Times in 33 Posts

As much as I miss my BYB, I think this bike is actually going to be more practical for my daily use, as it's got a more useful rack, and the front basket is very convenient for carrying a lock and light groceries. I thought the looks of the bike were pretty ho-hum and I'm picky about my saddle, bell, and pedals so I immediately upgraded it for aesthetic, comfort, and function. I had also purchased a shimano Zee drivetrain that I was planning on upgrading my BYB with, but I never got the chance to, so it looks like this bike's going to get the 10-speed upgrade too, probably this weekend.

Likes For willydstyle:
Old 08-22-22, 09:48 PM
Ron Damon

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 463 Post(s)
Liked 567 Times in 356 Posts
Originally Posted by willydstyle
As much as I miss my BYB, I think this bike is actually going to be more practical for my daily use, as it's got a more useful rack, and the front basket is very convenient for carrying a lock and light groceries. I thought the looks of the bike were pretty ho-hum and I'm picky about my saddle, bell, and pedals so I immediately upgraded it for aesthetic, comfort, and function. I had also purchased a shimano Zee drivetrain that I was planning on upgrading my BYB with, but I never got the chance to, so it looks like this bike's going to get the 10-speed upgrade too, probably this weekend.

Sorry about your loss once again.

Nice bike, nice Luggage Truss setup. 😉

If you need|want the range, on 406 wheels you could go up to 11-42t, perhaps even 11-46t with an MTB GS RD. Just a thought.

Last edited by Ron Damon; 08-22-22 at 09:52 PM.
Old 08-22-22, 10:46 PM
willydstyle

Originally Posted by Ron Damon
Sorry about your loss once again.

Nice bike, nice Luggage Truss setup. 😉

If you need|want the range, on 406 wheels you could go up to 11-42t, perhaps even 11-46t with an MTB GS RD. Just a thought.
Thanks! I've got an 11-36 that's going to get me the range I want with a Shimano Zee Derailleur.
Old 08-22-22, 11:40 PM
Reddleman
iti biking

Bikes: Tern Link D8, much upgraded

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked 101 Times in 58 Posts
Looking sharp! I see you have the Mk 2 luggage truss on the front too - for some reason the Mk 1 isn’t so angled but has more of a swan neck arrangement, making it more awkward to transport when folded as it pokes up high above the handlepost’s hinge. May have to upgrade to either it or the Rixen and Kaul plastic version.
Old 08-23-22, 04:45 AM
CEBEP

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 226 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 45 Posts
Congrats with new purchase, hope this one will not be stolen. +1 for pedals, I love my MKs Allways Ezy Superior too. Could you advise basked model/brand? Looks practical. Thanks.
Old 08-23-22, 06:16 AM
tds101 
55+ Club,...

Bikes: 9+,...

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1115 Post(s)
Liked 849 Times in 593 Posts
So sorry they stole your other ride. This does look like a great replacement though. I prefer the simplicity of this fold actually. And the upgrades, so far, are quite nice. Keep us updated please.

Oh, yeah, one last thing,... Can you store this one inside your apt? I'd hate to see you get jacked again.
Old 08-23-22, 08:22 AM
willydstyle

Originally Posted by tds101
So sorry they stole your other ride. This does look like a great replacement though. I prefer the simplicity of this fold actually. And the upgrades, so far, are quite nice. Keep us updated please.

Oh, yeah, one last thing,... Can you store this one inside your apt? I'd hate to see you get jacked again.
The thieves came into our house, while people were home, and stole two bikes and accessories from our basement. We've upgraded the locks and purchased security cameras since, but when it comes down to it if thieves want your **** bad enough they can take it.
Old 08-23-22, 08:35 AM
willydstyle

Originally Posted by CEBEP
Congrats with new purchase, hope this one will not be stolen. +1 for pedals, I love my MKs Allways Ezy Superior too. Could you advise basked model/brand? Looks practical. Thanks.
It's the Tern Luggage Truss with the Tern Hold 'Em basket. Only 7kg total load capacity, but I think it will be a convenient way to hold my lock and enough groceries for a meal or two.
Old 08-23-22, 03:13 PM
tds101 
55+ Club,...

Bikes: 9+,...

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1115 Post(s)
Liked 849 Times in 593 Posts
Originally Posted by willydstyle
The thieves came into our house, while people were home, and stole two bikes and accessories from our basement. We've upgraded the locks and purchased security cameras since, but when it comes down to it if thieves want your **** bad enough they can take it.
Which is why we have cameras, alarms, etc. Enjoy!