Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Winter riding on an “old school” bike.

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-21, 07:42 PM
sovende

Bikes: TNTL (Too numerous to list)

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 184 Post(s)
Liked 147 Times in 115 Posts

For the most part, I consider myself to be a “fair weather” cyclist. November is usually the latest that I’ll be out for a ride (but I did get a ride in this year on an unseasonably nice early December day!) Since Punxsutawney Phil managed to see his shadow on the 2nd of February, meaning 6 more weeks until Spring, I started thinking about what I could be riding in the waning days of Winter. At the encouragement of my daughter to implement the Scandinavian concept of “friluftsliv” (open air living or perhaps enjoying the outdoors regardless of the weather) I’m going to try a little Winter trail riding.
While a “fat tire” bike might be best for this activity, I’m not really in a position (on many levels) to invest in one. My plan is to dust off my Bike NASHBAR Terra XT mountain bike. For all intents and purposes, it is pretty much the bike discussed in this thread:
https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-v...knock-off.html

I purchased it back in the mid- nineties for ~$50. I swapped out a few things (handlebar, now flat, Yeti grips and a different saddle) but as stated, it’s nearly a dead ringer for the bike in the older thread. I’m hoping that it will suitable for some mostly flat, groomed trail riding.
We’re expecting single digit high temps (Fahrenheit) and sub-zero lows overnight over the next few days and that’s wit(out factoring in the “wind chill effect” so I’m pretty sure I won’t be taking a whack at Winter cycling this weekend !
Old 02-05-21, 07:53 PM
GlennR
On Your Left

Bikes: Trek Emonda SLR, Sram eTap, Zipp 303

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 3004 Post(s)
Liked 2,433 Times in 1,187 Posts
Last Saturday... 24* with windchill in the mid teens. Other than the tips of my fingers and toes I was toasty.

Old 02-05-21, 08:15 PM
mcours2006

Bikes: ...a few.

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 2012 Post(s)
Liked 409 Times in 235 Posts
Go for it. Any which way you can extend your riding season is good, in my books. Your old school bike should be fine. Any bike should be fine, for that matter, for winter riding. Might take you a few tries to get things dialed in--clothes, tire pressure, route, etc. But once you got it figured out it can be quite invigorating to be out in the mid-day sunshine, even if it's -15*C out.

Since working from home for the last four weeks I've been going out every day after work for a short spin. Granted, the weather has been good, so road conditions are good. Temperature range in the 0 to -15*C for the most part.

Old 02-06-21, 12:14 AM
70sSanO

Bikes: 1986 Cannondale SR400 (Flat bar commuter), 1988 Cannondale Criterium XTR, 1992 Serotta T-Max, 1995 Trek 970

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1944 Post(s)
Liked 2,164 Times in 1,323 Posts
It will be fine after you lower the stem down to the max height line.

John
Old 02-06-21, 09:47 AM
sovende

Originally Posted by 70sSanO
It will be fine after you lower the stem down to the max height line.

John
Just checked, Max Height line is NOT exposed (no lines are exposed). But now, on General Principles, I'm going to pull the stem for personal verification. While I'm at it, I'll clean, relub and adjust the headset bearings . I have to say that having the front brake housing stop as part of the stem seems to be an engineering design oversight. The stem height directly impacts on brake pad position. I'll probably get a housing stop that replaces the spacer between the cone adjusting nut and the locking nut. We'll see.

Last edited by sovende; 02-06-21 at 09:56 AM.
Old 02-06-21, 10:18 AM
70sSanO

Bikes: 1986 Cannondale SR400 (Flat bar commuter), 1988 Cannondale Criterium XTR, 1992 Serotta T-Max, 1995 Trek 970

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1944 Post(s)
Liked 2,164 Times in 1,323 Posts
That’s good. I only mentioned it because of a pic of the Nitto stem in the thread you referenced. I didn’t read the contents of the thread, but that pic caught my eye.

John
Old 02-06-21, 10:26 AM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Bikes: 15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, 76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, 17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, 12 Breezer Venturi, 09 Dahon Mariner, 12 Mercier Nano, 95 DeKerf Team SL, 19 Tern Rally, 21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, 19 T-Lab X3, 91 Serotta CII, 23 3T Strada

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 3147 Post(s)
Liked 1,712 Times in 1,034 Posts
As someone who started winter commuting in ‘88 on an ‘87, lemme just say that, yeah, while it’s do-able, modern bikes are way, way better. The demands of commuting are wholly different from periodic rec riding, of course, and I don’t mean to discourage the OP at all, but rather just to set the table for understanding that there might be challenges and frustrations to riding a vintage bike in the winter which are particular to vintage bikes, and not endemic to winter friluftsliving.

Grime and maintenance are the big ones for me. Rim brakes and winter slop make a stinking mess of things, and the steel bits on bikes of that vintage and pricepoint would corrode like crazy and frustrate and inhibit proper operation and easy maintenance.

Again, I was riding (and continue to ) in snow and salty slush here in MI, and I needed to be out regardless of weather, so the OP won’t face those same conditions and demands, but the generally poor performance of old bits will be there, and it’s important to not let that stuff put you off cycling, because it can be fixed. You don’t need a new, $3k fat bike to fix it, but nust a $300 investment in a 15 year old bike could make a big difference: disc brakes, all alloy bits, better lubes in BB and freehub, etc.
Old 02-06-21, 10:55 AM
AdkMtnMonster
Airplanes, bikes, beer.

Bikes: Road bikes, mountain bikes, a cx bike, a gravel bike…

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 398 Post(s)
Liked 788 Times in 339 Posts
Am I the only one who read that the OP is intending to ride flat, groomed snow trails? They’re not typically salted and/or grimy (or grimey) and usually are considered as a fun ride vs a commute. I guess my internet serves up different words than everyone else gets. Weird. To the OP: have fun, stay warm, don’t get too sweaty if you’re going to be out longer than an hour plus.
Likes For AdkMtnMonster:
Old 02-06-21, 11:08 AM
tcs
Palmer

Bikes: Mike Melton custom, Alex Moulton AM, Dahon Curl

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 1670 Post(s)
Liked 1,825 Times in 1,062 Posts
Originally Posted by mcours2006
Any which way you can extend your riding season is good, in my books. Your old school bike should be fine. Any bike should be fine, for that matter, for winter riding. Might take you a few tries to get things dialed in--clothes, tire pressure, route, etc. But once you got it figured out it can be quite invigorating to be out in the mid-day sunshine...
Watch for ice.

Old 02-06-21, 11:08 AM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2747 Post(s)
Liked 3,401 Times in 2,058 Posts
Originally Posted by chaadster
Grime and maintenance are the big ones for me. Rim brakes and winter slop make a stinking mess of things, and the steel bits on bikes of that vintage and pricepoint would corrode like crazy and frustrate and inhibit proper operation and easy maintenance..
While your points are valid, the bike in question was not a low end bike at the time.
Old 02-06-21, 11:11 AM
Speedway2

Bikes: United Motocross BMX, Specialized Langster, Giant OCR, Marin Muirwoods, Globe Roll2, VROD:)

Quoted: 238 Post(s)
Liked 405 Times in 246 Posts
Keep your digits warm. Wear a thin balaclava under your helmet. Ride in the sun.....
Old 02-06-21, 11:46 AM
hsuBM
jj

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked 110 Times in 78 Posts
Invest in good boots, mittens, and goggles.

I weigh 165-170, too heavy for 2.125” tires to float on top of even well hardpact snow. My winter riding is relegated to streets/roads with old road frames and thin slush-cutting tires.

A fatbike is likely to be a worthwhile investment for you unless you’re under 100lbs.
Old 02-06-21, 12:15 PM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Bikes: 15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, 76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, 17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, 12 Breezer Venturi, 09 Dahon Mariner, 12 Mercier Nano, 95 DeKerf Team SL, 19 Tern Rally, 21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, 19 T-Lab X3, 91 Serotta CII, 23 3T Strada

Originally Posted by AdkMtnMonster
Am I the only one who read that the OP is intending to ride flat, groomed snow trails? They’re not typically salted and/or grimy (or grimey) and usually are considered as a fun ride vs a commute. I guess my internet serves up different words than everyone else gets. Weird. To the OP: have fun, stay warm, don’t get too sweaty if you’re going to be out longer than an hour plus.
I addressed that specifically, and called out the factors behind generally poor performance of old bits in winter weather.

Also, since it isn’t obvious to everyone, grime is generated by rim brakes in the wet.
Old 02-06-21, 12:28 PM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Originally Posted by dedhed
While your points are valid, the bike in question was not a low end bike at the time.
Kinda...there were higher end bikes at the time, and It seems Nashbar was always the bargain source. I bought a new ‘87 Bridgestone MB4 in April ‘88– well, it was a birthday gift from my folks!— and it was $400 something and there was still MB3, MB2, MB1 up the price range. To your point, though, there wasn’t a lot of distinction between components in those days in terms of materials, and it was more about surface finish quality and bearing seals; tubesets were the big price factor.

This bike is fitted with about as good as you could get then drivetrain-wise, so your point is taken.
Old 02-06-21, 05:14 PM
JW in AK

Bikes: 2012 Marin Pioneer Trail, 2019 Twin Six Standard Rando

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 97 Times in 27 Posts
Originally Posted by sovende
I’m going to try a little Winter trail riding.
Your bike will do just fine. Fat tires really help with deep and loose powder but I've been riding 2" tires (170 lbs by the way) all winter on about two feet of snow on packed trails and it's been great. I'm running Schwalbe Marathon Winter Plus 26x2 studded tires at about 25-30 psi and haven't had any issues with traction or float. After also being a fair weather rider, I've really become a convert to winter riding this year. The one thing I might recommend, since it's a steel bike, is refrain from bringing it into a heated space after you ride. It'll condense everywhere, even inside the frame tubes and has the potential to lead to rust over time. Now, layer up, get out there and have fun.
Old 02-06-21, 07:11 PM
sovende

Even in 1986 the NASHBAR line would hardly be called “high end”! Nevertheless, $500 was still a chunk of change for the average person to spend on a bike. The depreciation was pretty severe since I picked it up for $50 <10 years later. Perhaps I got a much better deal than I thought .
I’m happy that the general consensus is that my ‘86 NASHBAR will work just fine. As I mentioned and others referred to, I will be riding relatively flat, groomed trails BUT I will have to get to the trail and unless I load the bike up in my truck, I’ll be riding city streets to get to the trail. The City does salt/sand our streets in the Winter, so that’s an issue. Post ride clean up will be necessary. JW in AK’s comment RE: condensation was something I hadn’t considered but now will.
Old 02-06-21, 07:27 PM
sovende

Originally Posted by 70sSanO
That’s good. I only mentioned it because of a pic of the Nitto stem in the thread you referenced. I didn’t read the contents of the thread, but that pic caught my eye.

John
I didn’t notice that until you. mentioned it ! When I get mine all Winter “prepped” I’ll snap some pics and post them . There won’t be a lot of difference tho.
Old 02-10-21, 09:26 AM
DHPflaumer

Bikes: Norther Klickitat Pass, Masi Giramondo 27.5, Soma Grand Randonneur

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked 59 Times in 26 Posts
Here's a vote in favor of winter riding on an old school bike.

Old 02-10-21, 10:05 AM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Originally Posted by DHPflaumer
Here's a vote in favor of winter riding on an old school bike.

Handsome!

Here’s a vote in favor of actually old bikes for winter riding. I think this is its 16th winter of use!:

Likes For chaadster: