Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fixed Gear Freestyle
Reload this Page >

Tire types for FGFS

Search
Notices
Fixed Gear Freestyle Trickbikes and Freestylers, here's your home! Here, you can discuss the ins and outs of building and riding these bikes.

Tire types for FGFS

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-23, 07:24 PM
SaikyoSenpai

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Tire types for FGFS

Does anyone run tubeless tires on their ride? Trying to avoid pinch flats since my bunny hops aren't very good yet. What about airless tires - like the stuff Tannus produces? I'd imagine that the solid types would provide more material to skid through as well

Kinda related... For the riders with conventional inner tubes, What PSI are ya'll running? I've been trying to stay at about 100 but sometimes i'll just forget to re-inflate and let it drop to around 70 or so
Old 10-11-23, 07:29 PM
SaikyoSenpai

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Related ^^^^

What about types of rims? I've tacoed at least one wheel and I wondering if certain wheels are better for this kinda stuff?

I've heard deep dish rims help and more spokes are always better. Any truth to this? Does anyone out there really prefer mag wheels or swear by string spokes like Berd?
Old 10-11-23, 08:02 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4357 Post(s)
Liked 3,995 Times in 2,666 Posts
Get a good quality rim and that will help a lot. Ideally one more rated for MTB and DH applications will help though you might find clearance an issue depending on the frame and you won't be able to fit narrow tires on them. A shorter spoke length you get from say a deeper V section rim will help as can more spokes assuming the entire system can handle everything. However keep in mind any sort of trick riding and lots of hard hits will not be good for those components and you are more likely to have issues. If you find a good high quality strong rim that can handle say a Sapim Strong or DT Swiss Alpina III spoke and nipple then that would be a good combination especially if built by a qualified wheel builder who knows their stuff. However I would just go to a good wheel builder and tell them what you are doing and they can make suggestions and build something good. It will cost money to get a properly built wheel from a known quantity wheel builder but it will end up with a wheel suited for what you are doing

Mag wheels are not stronger unless they are built to be stronger which is usually not the case as they are usually either very very cheap low quality or are designed to be very lightweight and aerodynamic or are just for looks.

In terms of tires don't EVER for any reason do any sort of airless tires they have a poor ride quality and you will feel everything and will provide ZERO shock absorption so you will be more likely to destroy a rim with those tires. Also please do not leave brown streaks in your underwear learn how to wipe it will help. Skidding has no place anywhere if you need to stop that is what brakes are for, Your tires will last longer and you will be able to actually stop rather than uncontrollably slow down kind of.

Get a good puncture protectant tire and keep them properly inflated, I usually go about 5 PSI above minumum and 5 PSI below maximum. Going tubeless is not terrible with wider tires and may help (though I would run a tubeless insert inside for trick riding). However always keep in mind trick riding can lead to more issues with the bike. It is not to say you shouldn't do it but unless buying components designed for what you are doing that are heavier duty and designed for a lot of loads and stress on it you will have things like flats and damaged headsets (for a good instance of what happened recently to a customer though that could have been improper installation as well) and other issues not found with normal riding.
Likes For veganbikes: