Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Newbie Q on trainer & Zwift

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-17, 06:23 AM
boshk

Bikes: Bianchi Oltre XR3, Diverge DSW (retired)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 118 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Thinking of buying one still but just wanna ask a question about Smart vs Classic trainer and Zwift.

For the Smart trainer, get to a hill on Zwift, the resistance automatically gets increased by the software.

Now for classic trainer, how do you increase the resistance accordingly?
I was reading the Zwift forums are someone also posted something...
https://support.zwift.com/hc/en-us/c...y-satori-smart

Anyone use a Tacx Satori Smart or Cycleops Fluid 2?

How do you know what resistance to use for a Zwift hill/incline to simulate it so that you can select the right gears and speed?

thanks
Old 06-15-17, 06:43 AM
valygrl

Mentioned: 83 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 163 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I've used a Kurt Kinetic trainer and a Kickr Snap, both with a powertap wheel.

If you don't have a smart trainer, it doesn't vary the resistance, so you don't feel the hills. You would shift into a harder gear on a hill to make the resistance harder and output more watts to try to maintain a faster speed in the game. It takes a few minutes to get used to up-shifting on a hill, but once you are used to it, it's fairly good game experience.

If you have a smart trainer, it will increase resistance for you, so you tend to find yourself shifting into a lower gear. It's a more realistic game experience.

If you can afford a smart trainer, it's a much more immersive experience, and you can use the intervals in ERG mode. If you already have a power meter, the payback is a bit less to use a smart trainer, but still was worth it for me. If you do already have a power meter, and are still looking at smart trainers, make sure if you have powertap wheel you get a wheel-on trainer, so you don't lose your actual power readings. My Snap power readings are wildly inaccurate vs my powertap, even though they claim good accuracy.

If you can't afford it, just buy a quality trainer that zwift has a power curve for. But it's worth it to buy a smart trainer if it's not going to break the bank.
Old 06-15-17, 07:19 AM
boshk

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by valygrl

If you don't have a smart trainer, it doesn't vary the resistance, so you don't feel the hills. You would shift into a harder gear on a hill to make the resistance harder and output more watts to try to maintain a faster speed in the game. It takes a few minutes to get used to up-shifting on a hill, but once you are used to it, it's fairly good game experience.

If you have a smart trainer, it will increase resistance for you, so you tend to find yourself shifting into a lower gear. It's a more realistic game experience.

If you can afford a smart trainer, it's a much more immersive experience, and you can use the intervals in ERG mode. If you already have a power meter, the payback is a bit less to use a smart trainer, but still was worth it for me. If you do already have a power meter, and are still looking at smart trainers, make sure if you have powertap wheel you get a wheel-on trainer, so you don't lose your actual power readings. My Snap power readings are wildly inaccurate vs my powertap, even though they claim good accuracy.

If you can't afford it, just buy a quality trainer that zwift has a power curve for. But it's worth it to buy a smart trainer if it's not going to break the bank.
I just started cycling a few months ago. No power meters on my bike, just the standard garmin cadence, HR and speed sensor.

My list so far are:
Go cheap and get 2nd hand Cycleops Fluid 2 for around US$80

Buy new:
Tacx Satori Smart (semi smart, resistance is still manually set)
Tacx Vortex Smart (but apparently theres no flywheel on it)
Elite Digital Smart B+ (have to wait till August)
Elite Rampa (most expensive for my budget)
Old 06-15-17, 09:48 AM
Athens80

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 138 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 13 Posts
I'm on Zwift for about half of my cycling hours. We use a Wahoo Kickr. PC software and the smart trainer have made indoor cycling much more attractive than it was a few years ago with a fluid trainer and looking at a garage wall.

With that said, getting started with a Fluid 2 at $80 sounds appealing. Not everyone enjoys Zwift. Maybe try it out for a while, and see if you get the Zwift bug, and if you think a smart trainer would make a big difference.
Old 06-15-17, 09:57 AM
gsindela

Bikes: 2015 Storck Scenero G3 (Force 22)

Quoted: 125 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The power meter function that a smart trainer will give you is going to make a huge difference in your Zwift experience.
Old 06-18-17, 06:40 PM
boshk

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by valygrl

good call on the Smart trainer if budget allows. I got myself a 'classic trainer' second hand, Cycleops Fluid 2. waiting for the smart trainer to be in stock again before I buy.
Old 06-18-17, 08:19 PM
dwing

Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
Good move getting the used fluid2 to start. Im using a kinetic and im going to patiently watch the smart technology evolve over the next year before i make a move on one. Seems smart trainer options and specs are getting better quickly.
Old 06-19-17, 10:43 PM
macca33

Bikes: 2017 Ridley Noah SL - Candy Apple DA9000, 2011 CAAD10 Berzerker Ult6800, 2013 FOCUS Mares CX Ult6800

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by dwing
Good move getting the used fluid2 to start. Im using a kinetic and im going to patiently watch the smart technology evolve over the next year before i make a move on one. Seems smart trainer options and specs are getting better quickly.

The Smart trainer technology is well evolved now mate - Kickr was available to the masses around 2013-2014, but there was no software to support its capabilities then.

What has evolved, is the availability of numerous models of smart trainer now, as manufacturers cater to the full spectrum of user budget levels.

My advice would be that if you can get onto a smart trainer, then now is as good a time as any to enjoy the benefits they provide.

cheers
Old 06-20-17, 07:28 PM
boshk

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by dwing
yea, for US$80 for Fluid 2 and its support block, it was a good 'start indoor and see if I like it' trainer.
Just did the Zwift FTP and it provide way more resistance than I could even use. Resistance levels isn't an issue.
Old 06-20-17, 07:31 PM
boshk

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by macca33
The Smart trainer technology is well evolved now mate - Kickr was available to the masses around 2013-2014, but there was no software to support its capabilities then.

What has evolved, is the availability of numerous models of smart trainer now, as manufacturers cater to the full spectrum of user budget levels.

My advice would be that if you can get onto a smart trainer, then now is as good a time as any to enjoy the benefits they provide.

cheers
Waiting for stock to become available before I buy.

whole list of them available now.

Tacx Flux (but looks like this model has problems)
Wahoo Kickr Snap
Elite Qubo Digital smart B+ (cheapest of the bunch)
Cycleops Magnus
Kinetic road machine smart
Old 06-20-17, 09:48 PM
Jack Tone 

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 389 Post(s)
Liked 255 Times in 165 Posts
I would recommend not buying a smart trainer. Last Christmas I treated myself to a Tacx Neo, on sale. I've ridden outside once since then. In between Zwift, and Fulgaz ( only on ipad for now), I can't find a good reason to go outside when I can ride realistically anywhere in the world now. Realistic except for the heat, the cold, and the wind.