Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Water bottle in seat tube

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-17, 04:05 PM
dvai

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts

So until now I use a conventional Bontrager downtube cage and one of those cage-less bottles by Fabric in the seat tube. The setup was good as the cage-less bottle fits with no issue (750 ml) and despite the size, will go in and out easily. The issue with the Fabric system is that you do have the risk of losing the bottle if you go through a big bump (as gets dislodged). For a year I was good, but yesterday I did lose the bottle - I didn't even realize... I stopped for water and was not there (not nice in the middle of a 60 mi ride).

Today I installed another Bontrager cage in the seat tube, but because of space I wont be able to fit a 24 oz bottle.
And to clarify... the difficulty is to get the bottle in the cage (as once in, there is no issue)

Thoughts for any alternative?
The idea is to carry 2 24 oz bottles.

Bontrager has this "sideswipe" bottle. But no sure if will make it easier.
https://www.trekbikes.com/us/en_US/e...olorCode=black
Old 07-29-17, 05:19 PM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

Bikes: Nekobasu, Pandicorn, Lakitu

Mentioned: 119 Post(s)
Quoted: 4905 Post(s)
Liked 1,731 Times in 958 Posts
You can use a sideloader cage like the Bontrager or an Arundel, or you can use something like the Wolftooth B-Rad to move the whole cage lower.
Old 07-29-17, 05:34 PM
rm -rf
don't try this at home.

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 974 Post(s)
Liked 512 Times in 352 Posts
How much shorter do you need?

I use Camelbak bottles because the valve works great.
But I needed a shorter bottle on my adventure bike's third cage on the bottom of the down tube. Normal bottles hit the front fender.

The REI bottle has no plastic taste even if the water is in there for more than a day. Camelbaks too. (I can't stand older water bottles, the water tastes terrible, even after a short time.)

REI no longer carries the $6 Novara bottle (maybe I got it on closeout). Now they have the same design at $10: MTB 22 ounce.

Actual measurements, height to top of spout, and water to the top of the bottle:
Camelbak:
9 3/8 inch, 26 ounces water

generic event "free" bottle:
8 7/8 inch, 24 ounces water

REI novara bottle:
8 1/4 inch, 23 ounces water. It's over an inch shorter, and only a few ounces less water.

I see that Camelbak has a "21 ounce" bottle, which is likely 22 ounces filled to the top. It should be short, too.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Lowering the cage
Is there room to move the seat tube cage downwards? or will it hit the downtube bottle?

This "problem solvers" adapter would work, but I don't really like the single setscrew that holds the two halves in place. I'm guessing it could slip. I'd mark the location of the top piece, loosen it, and superglue the two halves together, then reapply the setscrew. (This adapter would also move the cage away from the downtube, which might affect how far down you can move it.)

~~~

I don't have experience with side loading cages. You'd want one that held the bottle securely.

Last edited by rm -rf; 07-29-17 at 05:55 PM.
Old 07-29-17, 06:16 PM
dvai

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Very interesting.

A camelback I have (9.5 inches long - podium chill 21 oz) can barely get in... It does with some effort.
Not much space to go lower

Regarding the sideloader... how does the bottle go in? Sliding it from above too? Im trying to understand how is different Vs a regular cage.

Thanks so much
Old 07-29-17, 06:26 PM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Quoted: 6844 Post(s)
Liked 736 Times in 469 Posts
Arundel side loader cages have two holes and can sit lower in the frame if the top holes are used.

Lowest price I can find right now is at Steep and Cheap.

Pair: https://www.steepandcheap.com/arunde...der-cage-combo

They have the OtherSideloader for the down tube for right handed people or for the seat tube for left handed people at https://www.steepandcheap.com/arunde...er-bottle-cage

I own a pair of Arundel sideloader cages as well as Arundel Dave-O cages. The SideLoader cages allow me to run a frame bag on my gravel bike. The sideloader does not grip as well as the Dave-O cages but I use them for pretty rough gravel and have not lost a bottle in six months of use.

-Tim-

Last edited by TimothyH; 07-29-17 at 06:30 PM.
Old 07-29-17, 06:44 PM
dvai

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Tim, so it's literally side load or you still have to slide from the top?

My issue is that the top of the bottle bumps with the top tube when trying to load it on a bottle cage mounted on the set tube.

I saw the Arundel you suggested. Thanks for the tip. Nice that you can mount lower. I think I will end up trying it.
Old 07-29-17, 07:42 PM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Quoted: 6844 Post(s)
Liked 736 Times in 469 Posts
The bottles go in diagonally. You still have to push the bottle down from above but the bottle doesn't have to be parallel to the tubes - the top of the bottle can be angled roughly 30 to 45 degrees to the side. I tried to take some photos but can't really get a good shot of how the bottle clears the frame.

Arundel isn't the only company making side loader cages but theirs are top shelf, really high end products.

Lezyne "SL" cages are also side loader. I've seen others.
Here is how mine will be used tomorrow for gravel.

-Tim-

Last edited by TimothyH; 07-29-17 at 07:47 PM.
Old 07-29-17, 08:05 PM
dvai

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Great. I guess the Arundel also has the advantage of being able to mount lower.

I will try them.

.. and very nice bike BTW
Old 07-30-17, 06:40 AM
valygrl

Mentioned: 83 Post(s)
Quoted: 163 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Arundel makes a plastic version of that cage if you don't want to spend that much on the carbon one.

https://www.excelsports.com/main.asp...jor=3&minor=19

I have it on one of my bikes, works fine, just a little heavier.
Old 07-30-17, 07:28 PM
dvai

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
I ordered the Arundel. We will see. Thanks to all for the help
Old 07-30-17, 07:31 PM
WorldIRC
Canadian eh?

Bikes: 2020 Specialized Roubaix Expert

Quoted: 131 Post(s)
Liked 96 Times in 54 Posts
Similar idea to the Arundel, I use the Specialized Zee Cage II bottle holders on my bike for side loading. Allows me to use the Camelbak Big Podium bottles without any issues.