Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electric Bikes
Reload this Page >

Solowheel - are electric bicycles doomed?

Search
Notices
Electric Bikes Here's a place to discuss ebikes, from home grown to high-tech.

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-11, 12:08 AM
kabex

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi all, don't post in this subforum but found this extremely interesting:
Solowheel
https://www.gizmag.com/solowheel-gyro...nicycle/17900/

It's a Segway in the form of a 25 pound unicycle, about as big as a 20" wheel or so. Extremely portable, goes 20kph for 20 kilometres.

Is there a reason for electric bicycles when these things are advanced enough? It costs $1500 at the time and it's a first run.

I can easily see it hitting $750 in a few years and maybe $500 in the future. It's absolutely awesome and it could solve many problems world-wide.

I would love to own one for sure! I don't mean to start a flame war with the title but really, with this thing most of us can get to work very easily in very little time and without having to carry anything, lock-up nothing and work no sweat for an extremely low per-trip cost(in the cents?).
Old 02-21-11, 09:36 AM
dumbass 

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Not hardly!! Not to knock this thing but there are veriation of it that I would trust a lot more. The first question that comes to mind is where can you or would you ride it? In many or even most cities skating on the sidewalks is not legal. Granted it may take a little time before they pass a regulation banning these things on walkway but it will happen. Of course I guees you could say the same thing for Ebike on roadways or bike paths. Would you really want to ride that on a roadway? Hell a bike is bad enought but that this is a killer. And I'm guessing they will outlaw it on roadways as well. While I can not confirm it I have heard that Segways are banned in some location already.

Bob
Old 02-21-11, 09:52 AM
profstack

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
"Solowheel - are electric bicycles doomed?"

NO
Old 02-21-11, 10:06 AM
prathmann

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 659 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by dumbass
Granted it may take a little time before they pass a regulation banning these things on walkway but it will happen. Of course I guees you could say the same thing for Ebike on roadways or bike paths. Would you really want to ride that on a roadway? Hell a bike is bad enought but that this is a killer. And I'm guessing they will outlaw it on roadways as well. While I can not confirm it I have heard that Segways are banned in some location already.

Bob
I think you have this backwards, at least in regard to the US. Motorized transportation is already banned except for the types that are specifically allowed. Unless legislation is passed to make this kind of device legal then it isn't technically allowed now - either on roads or on sidewalks. Of course whether the police would bother to write a ticket is another question. Segway launched an all-out campaign to get their device legalized and quite a few places did enact special additions to the vehicle code dealing with the particular configuration of the Segway (two non-tandem wheels, self-balancing, etc.). That (and fashion) is about the only real advantage a Segway has over a cheap electric scooter that can be bought for under $200 and gives similar performance.
Old 02-21-11, 12:53 PM
dumbass 

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by prathmann
I think you have this backwards, at least in regard to the US. Motorized transportation is already banned except for the types that are specifically allowed. Unless legislation is passed to make this kind of device legal then it isn't technically allowed now - either on roads or on sidewalks. Of course whether the police would bother to write a ticket is another question. Segway launched an all-out campaign to get their device legalized and quite a few places did enact special additions to the vehicle code dealing with the particular configuration of the Segway (two non-tandem wheels, self-balancing, etc.). That (and fashion) is about the only real advantage a Segway has over a cheap electric scooter that can be bought for under $200 and gives similar performance.
OK, I sure won't argue and of your points. I think we are both saying the same thing. This thing isn't legal in most locations. I will just add that kids have been taged by cops at local malls trying to use inline skates on the outside walkways and roadways. And most of the stores in the area have a hissy when kids slide around on those shoes with the pop out wheels on them. A lot of mommies have been called to come and collect their little darlings....
Old 02-21-11, 03:50 PM
kabex

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
This thing would obviously used in bike lanes, it's about as fast as your average bike commuter. The point is its more portable than a bike tenfold and can be brought in on a train on subway like a briefcase.
Old 02-21-11, 04:33 PM
dumbass 

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by kabex
This thing would obviously used in bike lanes, it's about as fast as your average bike commuter. The point is its more portable than a bike tenfold and can be brought in on a train on subway like a briefcase.
Your point of it being lighter and more portable is totally understood. The problem is (at least in the USA) it does not qualify as a bike. If you look up the fed or most state's discription of a "bike or bicycle" it is clasified as a 2 or 3 wheeled vehicle. Thereby, a one wheeler would not qualify for use in a bike lane or on a bike path. Not on sidewalks or roadways. Bob
Old 02-21-11, 04:56 PM
prathmann

Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Of course I can bring my folding bike on trains and subways as well, it's faster than this device, and it doesn't turn into a useless paperweight if I need to travel over 12 miles. If you prefer something motorized then why not a little electric scooter where the handlebar folds down to make it quite portable? They have similar speed and range to this device and are much less expensive.
Old 02-21-11, 06:26 PM
Metal Man

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I wonder if they make some kind of motorized cart to transport it so you don't have to pick it up. Can people who can't walk pick up 25 pounds?
Old 02-21-11, 06:55 PM
kabex

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
People walk at 4 kph, this thing goes 20 kph.

Forget about it, you guys are ridiculous.
Old 02-21-11, 11:46 PM
El Duderino X
Hrumph!

Bikes: 2007 Dahon Cadenza w/ Alfine IGH11, modified MEC Desire w/Alfine IGH8,+ 2 ebikes: Bionx PL350 & 36V eZee FHB/Tidalforce frames.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
No one is being ridiculous. People are just taking umbrage with your less than well thought out assertion that a device like this could take the place of an ebike. It can not. It is a completely different type of beast from an ebike. Where are the racks for cargo? There are none. There you go. One shortcoming. Want more? It doesn't have the range, top speed or the general fun factor of an ebike. I like pedaling. I like going fast. I like going fast uphill and hauling all the crap I may need for my work. The Solowheel can't satisfy any of those requirements.

In your original post you said: "Is there a reason for electric bicycles when these things are advanced enough?"
That statement alone could lead one to conclude that you hadn't really thought out why people ride ebikes before making this post. Perhaps you came in here with the presumption that many other traditional cyclists have of ebikers, that we're not interested in putting in the work. Plenty of cyclists have come along, in these and other forums and on the street, labeling us as fat, lazy slobs who don't want to pedal. I'm sure that wasn't your intent though.

Anyway, thanks for the link. It was interesting. Cheers.
Old 02-22-11, 11:01 AM
kabex

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You're right, that was not my intention. My view on e-bikers is simply that of people who want effective, fast pro-active transport that runs off of a battery.

While you're right it might not replace it entirely but in many cases it would be a pretty damn good alternative.
Old 02-22-11, 07:29 PM
Richard60463

Bikes: My Schwinn World GSE and Wifes CurrieTech Path+

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Not doomed for my wife and me, at least. When we ride it is usually for 25 - 30 miles and carry extra clothes, tools, water, first aid kit, etc. in saddle bags.

Last edited by Richard60463; 02-22-11 at 07:30 PM. Reason: poor english the first time around; I instead of me.
Old 02-23-11, 10:29 AM
liksmuzic

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Don't get discouraged Kabex, I found the article interesting as well, and I don't feel you posted it to revolutionize the
ebike industry. It is always nice to see what is floating out there for people to see.

For some it will work, for some it won't, simple as that.

However, when I saw the picture, I immediatly thought of the old comic strip "BC", with the caveman
riding his stone wheel!! Sorry, but that is what popped into my head!!

Last edited by liksmuzic; 02-23-11 at 10:34 AM.
Old 02-23-11, 02:56 PM
sunnyday

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My opinion:

The solowheel will be about as popular as the Segway.

I forsee bankruptcy filings for the solowheel in the near future !

Unless the company is able to make a profit selling overseas to foreigners who are 5ft 5 inchs tall and weigh 140 lbs and only need to travel distances of 30 miles max on flat finished surfaces.

If this company is figuring that they will have a strong american market, they are nuts. Our society is overweight , broke and travels more then 20 miles in one day.

Its time for these bonehead companys to stop creating eccentric gizmos that wont serve the majority of society. These things are mostly gimmicks.

Make a 2-3 wheel vehicle that is electric and fairly comfortable for distances of 40 miles or more and can be recharged quickly and has a effective regenerative system, and can accomadate people up to 300 lbs and then sell it for $1500 or less , and THEN you may have something . If they can add in a quick release lightweight plexiglass enclosure that would shield the driver from the elements , then you have just improved the saleability by a large margin.
Old 02-23-11, 03:04 PM
sunnyday

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
People walk at 4 kph, this thing goes 20 kph.

the 20 kph rating is probably the most OPTIMISTIC for this vehicle. Put a 240 lb man on it going up a sidewalk with a incline of 24 degrees , and I bet money it would be lucky to do 8-10 kph.

IMHO...these companys are wasting time with these gimmicky electric expensive toys. Most people dont want to ride a freaking electric unicycle , nor would such a thing come naturally to them.

Stick with 2-3 wheel vehicles and improve upon that, with a addable enclosure ,. and sell it at a price that makes it a sensible alternative for 40 mile roundtrips to the store, school , mall, etc.

For any type of electric 2-3 wheel vehicle to be a big seller in the U.S . , it must have the ability to transport a person over 200 lbs a distance of at least 40 miles and do it dependably and for a modest price tag.

People are not gonna spend $2000 on a electric unicycle that is made to transport a 5ft 5" tall person who weighs 170 lbs for MAYBE 40 miles ...when that same person can purchase a gas scooter for $ 700 and travel 100 miles on 1 gallon of gas.
Old 02-23-11, 03:12 PM
sunnyday

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
IMHO, there is still a huge market in the U.S. for a dependable 2-3 wheel electric vehicle that will easily cover 40 mile range and has a enclosure to protect the occupant , for a price of $1800 or less. I think such a vehicle would sell like hotcakes, as long as it is dependable and also has great customer service here in the U.S.

Such a vehicle being mass produced, should be able to be manufactured for $800 or less each. So there is significant profit margins involved, if it is done correctly. The price of lifepo4 and brushless motor technologys continue to go lower , yet these companies keep offering electric unicycle gimmicks that are expensive and useless to most people who weigh more then 170 lbs and need to travel 40 miles or more on sloped roads/sidewalks.

PUT ME IN CHARGE...ILL SHOW YA HOW TO MAKE A BIG SELLER ! :**

Make the vehicle aeroydynamic with a regenerative system that recoups 15 % or more energy on a average 40 mile trip ! With such a regenerative system , you are now looking at getting an extra 6 miles distance per 40 mile trip . Then add in the proper aerodynamic build, and effieciencys are increased again...

This solowheel and things like the segway , dont even address important issues like aerodynamics. THATS INSANE !!!!..ecpsecially considering the price tag of these gimmicky toys.
Old 02-23-11, 03:16 PM
sunnyday

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
To many of these companys will claim their new electric gimmick will do a distance of 40 miles on one charge and do up to 20 mph . These types of stats are usually based on the absoloute BEST scenarios...using a lightweight person on a flat road, with no wind ,etc,etc...

we need a company to give us real life stats that would apply to most situations . Something like stats for a 220 lb person who needs to be transported 40 miles distance, with 12 miles of that distance being a 10-20 degree slope/grade on a road surface.
Old 02-23-11, 03:17 PM
sunnyday

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
IMHO, the current all electric car industry in the U.S. is also a joke. It seems for now, the powers in charge still do not want people in the U.S. to have a economical, dependable alternative to fossil fueled vehicles.
Old 02-23-11, 03:40 PM
kabex

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Why does everyone in this thread assume this thing(the concept by itself) is only intended for the American market?

Absolutely not. I see this thing being HUGE in tokyo/mexico city/london/rome/paris/etc. People there are ~100-150lbs and they're all flat cities.

It's a new technology, it will be improved.
Old 02-23-11, 04:52 PM
dumbass 

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Why does everyone in this thread assume this thing(the concept by itself) is only intended for the American market?

Absolutely not. I see this thing being HUGE in tokyo/mexico city/london/rome/paris/etc. People there are ~100-150lbs and they're all flat cities.

Yes your right it's only the fat Americans that would have a problem witht his thing. Let me tell ya I have been in every city you mention and lived is some of them and from what I remember of the people there they are no more stupid then we Americans. I am not arguing that some people (somewhere) will not buy this thing. They will. But I will tell you...no I will bet you that bike sales in every city in the world will exceed 1000 to 1 of these things. You want to take the bet? I don't agree with all the grief and abuse you have taken for your original posting of this thread. However, I do feel your continued arguments supporting this thing makes me think you ether inverted it or your just agruing because you just don't want to lose at any cost.

Bob
Old 02-23-11, 06:28 PM
sunnyday

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

okay...I will just agree with you then, to make you feel happy..

you are correct...people in society would rather purchase a expensive electric unicycle that is only made to transport people who weigh 150 lbs..compared to a 2 wheel electric bicycle that can transport people who weigh 300 lbs.

there...feel better ?

electric unicycles are not gonna be replacing 2 wheeled electric bicycles.

get over it, and move on.

and here in the U.S. these unicycles will be mostly ignored.

Last edited by sunnyday; 02-23-11 at 06:39 PM.
Old 02-23-11, 06:45 PM
prathmann

Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by sunnyday
the 20 kph rating is probably the most OPTIMISTIC for this vehicle. Put a 240 lb man on it going up a sidewalk with a incline of 24 degrees , and I bet money it would be lucky to do 8-10 kph.
8-10 kph up a 24 degree incline would be quite impressive. But where are you that sidewalks are that steep? In San Francisco we don't have any streets that steep and the few sidewalks with that incline are made as steps, not an inclined ramp. The steepest street here is under 18 degrees.
Old 02-23-11, 07:40 PM
sunnyday

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by prathmann
8-10 kph up a 24 degree incline would be quite impressive. But where are you that sidewalks are that steep? In San Francisco we don't have any streets that steep and the few sidewalks with that incline are made as steps, not an inclined ramp. The steepest street here is under 18 degrees.
trust me, this unicycle gadget could not make it up the very first hilly road I would encounter leaving my home....ecspecially with my 260lb body weight.

this thing is nothing more then a expensive gadget that isnt useful or cost effective for the majority of americans in the U.S.

maybe overseas where the average person weighs less then 170 lbs and is 5ft 7" tall...it may have a market....and even then , it can only cover about 12 miles in optimum conditions { full charge, no wind , low body weight of user, etc**

its time for these manufacturers to stop with gimmicks and manufacture something that is realistic, and functional for people who need to travel at least 40 mile distance, and that arent anerexic .

this electric unicycle isnt the answer and IMHO, not type of unicycle will be the answer...

unicycles are also inhereintly more dangerous to ride and need more balance , and you cant really make any type of enclosure for them to protect the rider from the weather/elements.