Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

What do you think of Specialize's new electric bike?

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-12, 12:08 PM
SouthFLpix

Bikes: 2007 Giant Cypress DX, Windsor Tourist 2011

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

This is the first electric bike I've seen that doesn't look like someone just bolted parts on a cheap hybrid 'Frankenstein' style. This one actually looks like it was designed from the ground up to be electric. I also like the fat 700x45 wheels. Where I live it's pancake flat, but for those of you with huge hills to climb, would you consider adding this bike to your stable? No word on price yet.

https://turbo.specialized.com/
Old 03-31-12, 12:24 PM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3871 Post(s)
Liked 2,568 Times in 1,579 Posts
https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread...ke%29-Thoughts
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
Old 03-31-12, 08:53 PM
tonyjaja

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
looks nice

Old 03-31-12, 09:42 PM
labrat

Bikes: Bianchi Road bike, Nashbar Ultegra triple cyclocross, Raleigh full XT hybrid, lugged steel Schwinn, Full rigid Diamondback MTB

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
This one has me confused. It's the turbo model but it looks like an e-bike. As far as I can tell the only exhaust is your breath so what spins the turbine?
Old 03-31-12, 10:45 PM
FrenchFit 
The Left Coast, USA

Bikes: Bulls, Bianchi, Koga, Trek, Miyata

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 361 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 18 Posts
First, a flash intro is so '00s, get real Specialized.

Moreover, for someone with a long daily commute it kinda makes sense to me, but not at that price, ...and only if it's rack friendly. (I think it's around $8K.) The other nuance, every off road trail I know about in Calif prohibits e-bikes,...so it's a one trick pony in my eyes.
Old 03-31-12, 11:35 PM
IndianaShawn

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
An electric scooter/moped/motorcycle can't go where a bicycle can go regarding sidewalks, parks, trails, and all of those places that separate bicycles from "regulated" vehicles. An electric bicycle isn't regulated by the Department of Transportation so we don't have to insure it, licence it, get a licence to operate it, and I don't think most building allow you to bring your scooter or motorcycle inside.............and try carrying and scooter up the stairs. As of now an electric bicycle is considered a human powered vehicle that is "assisted" by electricity only. Take away the pedals and your in another ballpark with new rules. As for the Specialized design I can say I like it. I'm not sure how practical it is at that price. I have a Surly Long Haul Trucker that I have been thinking of buying a Bionix Kit for. For a brand new LHT and a Bionix kit your looking at less than half the cost of this Specialized and with the LHT you can haul things making it very usefull as a commuter and as a utility bicycle. What I think is ironic..........everyone is talking about going green and switching over to electric while cities spend millions to design bicycle friendly paths only to be meant with bicycles that aren't even allowed in the US. I don't understand America. We are so behind on so many levels compared to Europe. Germany is going to be completely independant regarding their power in the very near future and we can't address an electric bicycle being sold in America. I was biking with someone the other day and he was on an electric bicycle. I timed us with my GPS going 18 MPH but he could have easily gone faster if he had assisted with pedaling. Should that be made illegal or should he be ticketed if timed by a police officer and a radar gun if he had exceeded 20MPH? And BTW, his electic bicycle was only a few hundred dollars. Notice his bicycle is on the sidewalk and not on the street with the Harley.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Nice Day 031.jpg (101.0 KB, 10 views)
Nice Day 035.jpg (98.8 KB, 9 views)
Nice Day 034.jpg (100.3 KB, 10 views)
Nice Day 032.jpg (101.7 KB, 10 views)
Nice Day 033.jpg (101.1 KB, 14 views)
Nice Day 036.jpg (100.0 KB, 13 views)

Last edited by IndianaShawn; 03-31-12 at 11:41 PM.
Old 04-01-12, 12:22 AM
commo_soulja

Bikes: are fun to ride

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 35 Times in 23 Posts
I've been seeing more and more E-bikes here in Germany. Mostly used by older cyclists and a handful of commuters. It's pretty hilly here and when an e-bike commuter passes me going uphill while only soft pedaling it's pretty disheartening at first as I think my fitness sucks but then I notice the frame battery and large rear hub then my manliness returns.

If the bike provides a benefit to your commute then why not? Time crunched? it'll get you where you're going quicker. It can increase your commute range beyond your physical limit.

Looks like the Spec Turbo won't be offered in the US, only Europe.