Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Singlespeed & Fixed Gear
Reload this Page >

Durable skidding tires?

Search
Notices
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

Durable skidding tires?

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-13, 02:17 PM
gogotheyogrtman

Bikes: Mercier Kilo TT 2013, custom BMX 2010-2012, Vintage Fuji fixed-gear conversion 1978, vintage fuji sports 12 1986, Bianchi XL ev2 2001

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Durable skidding tires?

Hello all,
My tires are completely shot. This is the first time I am making a purchase on new road (specifically fixie) tires. I currently have the stock tires that came with my Kilo TT; Kenda Kontender Lite. Right now I am looking at Thickslicks, Conti Gatorskins, and the specialized armadillos. I've heard that the Gators ride smoother, but they would be a waste of money since I do a lot of skidding. My LBS owner told me that the thickslicks are ideal for skidding, but I need to know if they are very durable. I don't want to spend like $80 on freaking tires though... I just want a durable tire that I won't have any problem skidding on.
Thanks!
Old 10-25-13, 05:40 PM
europa
Grumpy Old Bugga

Bikes: Hillbrick, Malvern Star Oppy S2, Europa (R.I.P.)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 370 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
If you're skidding lots, you could do what the boys in my local bike polo group do - the check the dumpsters out the back of bike shops for tyres. Sure, the tyres are used but a lot of useable ones come to light and at the price (free), you can afford to wear them out. One of the local shops actually sets suitable tyres aside for them to collect.
Old 10-25-13, 05:47 PM
ThimbleSmash
The Viceroy

Bikes: SE PK Ripper FG,Trek Classic Steel, Free Spirit FG, Raleigh Pointe, Centurion Sport DLX, Schwinn CrissCross

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'll be the advocate this time.

I can't say anything for these tires but this is the way I see it. You choose to skid stop all the time, you are essentially choosing the luxury to dump cash out into tires one way or the other. If cash is of concern then it may be time to invest into a brake, replacing pads from time to time is a lot cheaper then new tires. It will lower your street cred but sometimes these decisions have to be made.

Last edited by ThimbleSmash; 10-25-13 at 06:02 PM.
Old 10-25-13, 05:53 PM
solipsist716
Magnets, how do they work

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
"Fixie tires"

sry

brakes make good skidding tires
Old 10-25-13, 06:12 PM
Scrodzilla
Your cog is slipping.

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 640 Post(s)
Liked 100 Times in 58 Posts
28c Randos are relatively cheap and have lots of meat on them while still rolling nicely.
Old 10-25-13, 06:19 PM
sinikl

Bikes: Kilo TT, Felt z85, Kona Unit 2-9, 90s Schwinn 9.3 with Noleen fork

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Had a thickslick. Loved that I could skid EVERYWHERE with no appreciable loss in tire life (it encourages skidding all the time and you will probably come off a bit of a jackass). HATED the weight, and frankly, they're not that puncture resistant. Very little cord in them, and a largish piece of glass killed mine that would not kill the Vittorias I run now. Now I skid only for fun and pace pedal, skip, or grab the brake in that order. Skidding is fun, but you simply have to pay to play.
Old 10-25-13, 06:49 PM
europa
Grumpy Old Bugga

Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Scrodzilla
28c Randos are relatively cheap and have lots of meat on them while still rolling nicely.
I've always had a good run with Randos and they don't seem to puncture as easily as some other tyres either (too much rubber to get through maybe). If you're doing the dumpster diving I suggested earlier, they're a tyre that often turns up with quite some meat left on them.
Old 10-25-13, 06:53 PM
ThimbleSmash
The Viceroy

Bikes: SE PK Ripper FG,Trek Classic Steel, Free Spirit FG, Raleigh Pointe, Centurion Sport DLX, Schwinn CrissCross

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I actually have a bone to pick with Randos. I have a pair and they simply developed 2 flat spots from picking up my rear and rotating my pedals at stop lights. Out of my 4 other tire types I have used for fixed gear they are the only one to develop flats simply from doing that(All these tires in a similar price range). Sure this points to me abusing them since it should take a bit to create flat spots but I remain skeptical about Randos and durability claims made for them. They are still usable but I just don't like that I'm seeing more then just the outer tread now.

Last edited by ThimbleSmash; 10-25-13 at 07:03 PM.
Old 10-25-13, 07:17 PM
Huffandstuff

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
No mention of a Soma Everwear? I've had one for about a year and let a buddy ride it for a month or two and he is a sw8 fixie skidder and it still has a good chunk of life in it. Heavy as hell though.
Old 10-25-13, 08:26 PM
jdgesus 
sɹɐʇsɟoןןnɟsʇıbɟɯo

Bikes: fixed gear recumbent trike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
everwears, wear for ever ∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞ß

next step is recumbent.

my bikes | bike blog | beer blog | work 1 | work 2
Old 10-25-13, 08:31 PM
europa
Grumpy Old Bugga

Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Paint yer rims black and don't use no stinkin' tyres. Easy skidz. Long wearing. Never get flats. Problem solved.
Old 10-26-13, 06:10 AM
Scrodzilla
Your cog is slipping.

Originally Posted by ThimbleSmash
I actually have a bone to pick with Randos. I have a pair and they simply developed 2 flat spots from picking up my rear and rotating my pedals at stop lights. Out of my 4 other tire types I have used for fixed gear they are the only one to develop flats simply from doing that(All these tires in a similar price range). Sure this points to me abusing them since it should take a bit to create flat spots but I remain skeptical about Randos and durability claims made for them. They are still usable but I just don't like that I'm seeing more then just the outer tread now.
How many skid patches do you have?

Also, if you're using 25c Randos, they have considerably less meat on them than 28c when compared side by side and don't last nearly as long if you are a habitual skidder.

Last edited by Scrodzilla; 10-26-13 at 08:41 AM.
Old 10-26-13, 08:27 AM
oneeyedhobbit

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Also, if you're using 25c Randos, they have considerably less meat on them than 28c when compared side by side and don't last nearly as long.
That is kind of lame, because I just replaced my gatorskins with 25c randos that where on sale. Do tire manufacturers really vary the depth of their tread like that? I don't skid a lot, but I still like my tires to be puncture resistant when it is why I'm paying for them =(.
Old 10-26-13, 08:39 AM
Scrodzilla
Your cog is slipping.

The puncture resistance is the same but the tread thickness is significantly different. If you don't skid a lot, it won't matter.

I can't really speak for tire manufacturers or their practices but there are quite a few reviews of the 25c Randos that can be found doing a Google search.
Old 10-26-13, 09:53 AM
ThimbleSmash
The Viceroy

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Also, if you're using 25c Randos, they have considerably less meat on them than 28c when compared side by side and don't last nearly as long if you are a habitual skidder.
My Randos I have are 32mm. For the bike I have the Randos on I have 14 or 16 patches depending on my cog size. Now get this, the bike I had the other tires on only had 8 and 9 patches depending on cog size. Once again this points to my technique but I can't ever remember being hard on these tires, which is why I remain skeptical about them. The bike with the Randos is lighter then the other bike by a fair bit, which in theory would make me less likely to let it down mid rotation and cause flat spots.

I know my evidence isn't bullet proof but I know how I ride and what I do, which causes me to not recommend Randos. Then again I'm a Continental fan so count that as a bias if you like.

Last edited by ThimbleSmash; 10-26-13 at 10:04 AM.
Old 10-26-13, 10:29 AM
gogotheyogrtman

Bikes: Mercier Kilo TT 2013, custom BMX 2010-2012, Vintage Fuji fixed-gear conversion 1978, vintage fuji sports 12 1986, Bianchi XL ev2 2001

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for the feedback guys, I think I am going to go with the Soma everwears!
Old 10-29-13, 07:38 AM
jolly_ross

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
https://airless-tires.typepad.com/air...less-tire.html

They are hideous, but you know - you skid all the time.
Old 10-29-13, 01:26 PM
Jandro 

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by jolly_ross
https://airless-tires.typepad.com/air...less-tire.html

They are hideous, but you know - you skid all the time.
You're developing a trend and it's been noticed. I'd suggest it doesn't continue being a trend.

+1 for randos. I don't go out of my way to skid, but I do ride brakeless (mostly back pedaling with skip stops). 25c randos have lasted me quite a long time. 28c randos would last longer, but are heavier. I live where there are lots of hills so I elected for the 25cs, personally.
Old 10-29-13, 01:32 PM
Huffandstuff

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Jandro
You're developing a trend and it's been noticed. I'd suggest it doesn't continue being a trend.

+1 for randos. I don't go out of my way to skid, but I do ride brakeless (mostly back pedaling with skip stops). 25c randos have lasted me quite a long time. 28c randos would last longer, but are heavier. I live where there are lots of hills so I elected for the 25cs, personally.
I had the exact opposite experience with randos, they were the shortest lasting tire out of the "skidding" tires. I've had the best luck with the Armadillos, everwears last forever but I hate the way they feel.

I hardly ever skid, it's mostly all backpressure with the occasional hop when im coming down a real steep hill.
Old 10-29-13, 05:23 PM
Philasteve

Bikes: Surly CreamRoller. 98 Giant Rincon. SE UVT

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 9 Posts
I have had pretty good luck with 32c soma everwears. Been riding one for like 4 months now, worn it down a lot because I do like to skid but I have an extra soma for when this one dies out.
Old 10-29-13, 05:27 PM
hairnet
Fresh Garbage

Bikes: N+1

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 352 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 18 Posts
Kill it with a fire.
Old 10-29-13, 09:44 PM
Leukybear 
THE STUFFED

Bikes: R. Sachs Road; EAI Bareknuckle; S-Works Enduro

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 361 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 17 Posts
Soma everwears in my book.
Old 10-30-13, 09:16 AM
loverrellik

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Huffandstuff
I had the exact opposite experience with randos, they were the shortest lasting tire out of the "skidding" tires. I've had the best luck with the Armadillos, everwears last forever but I hate the way they feel.

I hardly ever skid, it's mostly all backpressure with the occasional hop when im coming down a real steep hill.
This for me as well.

Everwears i put on for road riding are 1+yrs old and good, but they feel mushy because of extra wears.
Old 10-30-13, 12:08 PM
Leukybear 
THE STUFFED

Bikes: R. Sachs Road; EAI Bareknuckle; S-Works Enduro

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 361 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 17 Posts
Originally Posted by loverrellik
Everwears i put on for road riding are 1+yrs old and good, but they feel mushy because of extra wears.
They also become squared and corner like **** but compromises have to be made anyhow.