Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Fake Oakleys

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Fake Oakleys

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-12, 08:12 AM
dave1442397

Bikes: 2014 Boardman SLS 9.4 Di2, 2011 CAAD 10 4

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I bought these Smith & Wesson shooting glasses for $6.99. I haven't been out at night with them yet, but they should be good.

https://www.quill.com/smith-wesson-ma..._PLA_CB_252145
Old 10-11-12, 09:04 AM
Rocket-Sauce 
Port

Bikes: 2022 Soma Fog Cutter, 2021 Calfee Draqonfly 44, 1984 Peter Mooney, 2017 Soma Stanyan, 1990 Fuji Ace, 1990 Bridgestone RB-1, 1995 Independent Fabrications Track, 2003 Calfee Dragonfly Pro

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 986 Post(s)
Liked 1,870 Times in 1,065 Posts
Buy some clear replacement lenses for your Flak Jacket on ebay. Clear, non OEM lenses are <$20. Or buy some cheapo clear safety glasses at the local big box store.
Old 10-11-12, 09:11 AM
rooftest
Despite all my rage, I am

Bikes: LeMond Zurich, Colnago C-50

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Gjc985
a legit site to buy fake...
Old 10-11-12, 09:19 AM
gerundium

Bikes: BMC

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by giantcfr1
I bought them from a dealer here not from the site. On the inside of the left arm it says Climax 60 22-126 and the right arm CM-001 COL.1

EDIT>>>I think they come with Thermo-Nuclear protection too.
ghehe
Old 10-11-12, 09:23 AM
bianchi10
King Hoternot

Bikes: 2015 Cannondale Evo Hi mod

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Like I said....I offer.com

https://www.ioffer.com/search/items/oakley%20radar

Old 10-11-12, 10:03 AM
mpath
Recusant Iconoclast

Bikes: Look 695, Wilier Izoard

Quoted: 247 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 29 Posts
The poseur is strong in this thread...
Old 10-11-12, 10:27 AM
roadwarrior

Bikes: Cannondale EVO, CAAD9, Giant cross bike.

Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by fly:yes/land:no
i would actually be interested if there was a non-oakley frame that could be purchased cheaply, but which could accept oakley lenses.
Tifosi...a lot of their stuff is around $60 with three lens sets.
Old 10-11-12, 10:35 AM
Drag
Cardiac Case

Bikes: Trek, Cannondale, Litespeed, Lynskey

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Why hold back?

Old 10-11-12, 11:01 AM
Nachoman
well hello there

Bikes: Bill Holland (Road-Ti), Fuji Roubaix Pro (back-up), Bike Friday (folder), Co-Motion (tandem) & Trek 750 (hybrid)

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 503 Post(s)
Liked 336 Times in 206 Posts
Originally Posted by LowCel
So you want someone here to assist you in purchasing illegal goods?
And while you're at it, would you mind scoring him a bag of weed?

Two wheels good. Four wheels bad.
Old 10-11-12, 12:06 PM
Lazy Dog

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I work in the optical business in the United States and let me offer some professional advice....(For the record, I do not work for Oakley)

-Impact resistance with cycling is extremely important for obvious reasons. "Real" Oakley lenses are made of Lexan/Polycarbonate which is the most impact resistant material available for ophthalmic lenses. Fake Oakleys typically use an acetate or CR39 plastic material which explodes upon impact. Also, the frames that Oakley makes are also designed to withstand damage during crashes or impact. The frames themselves are not made of polycarbonate, but they are made of a zylo/plastic material that will keep you safe during a crash. Oakley hinges, temples and bezels are designed with impact resistance in mind. On a cheaper frame, the bezel may be made slightly rounded or smaller which doesn't keep the lens in place during impact. The result is that if the lens miraculously doesn't shatter, it will dislodge straight back towards your eye and cause serious damage to your Cornea.

-Safety Frames and Shooting Frames do indeed peform well for cycling. These sorts of frames are stamped "Z87-2" on the temples and the lenses typically are marked with a PS+ near the temporal edge. These markings designate that they pass the FDA's impact resistance testing for industrial safety of high velocity projectiles. The only drawbacks to these cheaper alternatives is many don't have anti-fogging or anti-reflective coatings on them. Also the lenses are typically "stamped" which is more prone to aberrations versus Oakley lenses which are surfaced using traditional manufacturing methods and have far less birefringence than stamped lenses.

-Coating technology may look the same on fakes in terms of the residual color in the reflective, front-side mirror coating, but the coating stack is not the same. Most Oakley coatings are 10 layers, each side, including a more scratch resistant base hard-coating. The hard coating will be less prone to hairline and deep scratches. Also, the top coat on most Oakley coatings is made of oleo-phobic materials which repels dirt, oil and moisture, making the lenses much easier to clean while out riding. Some Oakley lenses feature an anti-fog, oleo-phobic top coat which prevents the lenses from steaming up when you stop at traffic lights.

Sorry to go full-on lens nerd on this board, but when I read these sorts of comments on here I just had to offer some facts. Comparing fake Oakleys to real ones is similar to comparing a Cervelo to a Huffy.

Last edited by Lazy Dog; 10-11-12 at 12:21 PM.
Old 10-11-12, 01:19 PM
spinerguy

Bikes: Litespeed Teramo, Argon 18 Road, Fuji Mt Fuji Pro MTB, Fuji Track Pro FG, & Cannondale Quick CX Cross

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I got the fake red and white Radars from a Taiwanese seller on flea bay last year, honestly I was very disappointed with fit and quality. They r sitting in a drawer..unused, not even once.

Next day I bit the bullet and ordered the real ones. There it goes $40 to trash can.
Old 10-11-12, 01:35 PM
Lazy Dog

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The other thing is....

Lots of fake products you can buy direct from China, like Nike products, actually come from Nike's China-based manufacturing facilities. They are surplus goods that are smuggled out or allowed to be sold and the chances are that the product you get here in the States is very similar to the real, over-priced version you buy at Foot Locker. With Oakley products, they produce most of them in Tustin, California at their US headquarters. They are made here so it's nearly impossible for the fake Oakleys to be surplus authentic Oakley product.
Old 10-11-12, 01:40 PM
MooCow

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by puckett129
Just for the record... at least here in NY, it is not illegal to own or purchase a counterfeit consumer good, just to sell them.
Trademark Infringement --> Federal Law
Doesn't matter you are in NY.
Old 10-11-12, 01:45 PM
bianchi10
King Hoternot

Bikes: 2015 Cannondale Evo Hi mod

Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I feel the need to say that even though I show ioffer as an option, I personally dont wear fake ones. the fit and quality not is not as good. If you are looking for something that is inexpensive though, I see it as a good option. I am to vain to wear fake ones.
Old 10-11-12, 01:52 PM
Lazy Dog

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
From a safety standpoint, the fake ones are not a good option. Safety glasses at Home Depot or shooting specific frames would actually protect your eyes in the event of a crash.
Old 10-11-12, 01:52 PM
ravenmore

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Keep an eye out for deals - I got my real Oakley Slip Jackets for $80 from the Oakley Vault.
Old 10-11-12, 02:51 PM
BarracksSi
Bike ≠ Car ≠ Ped.

Bikes: Some bikes. Hell, they're all the same, ain't they?

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Man, I wish I could get ANY prescription shades for less than $150-200...
Old 10-11-12, 03:07 PM
mjh365

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I don't know if this was brought up or not (I haven't read each reply) but being FLAK Jackets, can't you just buy the replacement lens of your choice for about $40? And if you know someone in Law Enforcement or Military, they can probably get them for half that for you. I've had my Half Jackets for 7 years I think, and they are still going strong. I have bought various lenses over the years but the frames are doing fine.
Old 10-11-12, 03:45 PM
Gege-Bubu

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by BarracksSi
Exactly. It looks like 90% do not need RX bicycle glasses. I am in 10%
Old 10-11-12, 04:14 PM
Nachoman
well hello there

Bikes: Bill Holland (Road-Ti), Fuji Roubaix Pro (back-up), Bike Friday (folder), Co-Motion (tandem) & Trek 750 (hybrid)

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 503 Post(s)
Liked 336 Times in 206 Posts
Originally Posted by BarracksSi
No kidding. It's embarrassing how much I paid for my last pair of sunglasses.

Two wheels good. Four wheels bad.
Old 10-11-12, 04:43 PM
Lazy Dog

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Most of what you pay is the markup on the frame.
Old 10-11-12, 06:10 PM
fly:yes/land:no
abandoning

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Lazy Dog
I work in the optical business in the United States and let me offer some professional advice....(For the record, I do not work for Oakley)

-Impact resistance with cycling is extremely important for obvious reasons. "Real" Oakley lenses are made of Lexan/Polycarbonate which is the most impact resistant material available for ophthalmic lenses. Fake Oakleys typically use an acetate or CR39 plastic material which explodes upon impact. Also, the frames that Oakley makes are also designed to withstand damage during crashes or impact. The frames themselves are not made of polycarbonate, but they are made of a zylo/plastic material that will keep you safe during a crash. Oakley hinges, temples and bezels are designed with impact resistance in mind. On a cheaper frame, the bezel may be made slightly rounded or smaller which doesn't keep the lens in place during impact. The result is that if the lens miraculously doesn't shatter, it will dislodge straight back towards your eye and cause serious damage to your Cornea.

-Safety Frames and Shooting Frames do indeed peform well for cycling. These sorts of frames are stamped "Z87-2" on the temples and the lenses typically are marked with a PS+ near the temporal edge. These markings designate that they pass the FDA's impact resistance testing for industrial safety of high velocity projectiles. The only drawbacks to these cheaper alternatives is many don't have anti-fogging or anti-reflective coatings on them. Also the lenses are typically "stamped" which is more prone to aberrations versus Oakley lenses which are surfaced using traditional manufacturing methods and have far less birefringence than stamped lenses.

-Coating technology may look the same on fakes in terms of the residual color in the reflective, front-side mirror coating, but the coating stack is not the same. Most Oakley coatings are 10 layers, each side, including a more scratch resistant base hard-coating. The hard coating will be less prone to hairline and deep scratches. Also, the top coat on most Oakley coatings is made of oleo-phobic materials which repels dirt, oil and moisture, making the lenses much easier to clean while out riding. Some Oakley lenses feature an anti-fog, oleo-phobic top coat which prevents the lenses from steaming up when you stop at traffic lights.

Sorry to go full-on lens nerd on this board, but when I read these sorts of comments on here I just had to offer some facts. Comparing fake Oakleys to real ones is similar to comparing a Cervelo to a Huffy.
just wanted to say, as someone with no knowledge of lens engineering or sunglasses production, that i really appreciate you taking the time to post this info. thanks for all of this.
Old 10-11-12, 06:14 PM
rangerdavid

Bikes: 2009 Cannondale CAAD9-6 2014 Trek Domaine 5.9

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
here ya go

https://www.usapopularmarket.com/index.php
Old 10-11-12, 07:21 PM
puckett129

Bikes: 80's Treks, cargo bike, Lugged LeMond, Eddy Merckx 7-11, Ciocc resto-mod, All City MM disc, and some more

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by MooCow
Trademark Infringement --> Federal Law
Doesn't matter you are in NY.
Not true... who would enforce such a law? Not that you have specified any particular section of law. There are no federal police. Federal law enforcement has very specific purposes. Even under Federal law the infringement is undertaken by those involved in the manufacture, sale, or distribution of those items... not by someone who possesses them.

Cops sworn at the state or local level cannot enforce federal law. They can enforce NYS Penal Law which under Article 165 does provide for prosecution of those involved in sale, manufacture, or distribution of counterfeit goods. Federal law enforcers can enforce state laws when the state has granted them those powers, but without a law to enforce they too would be without any luck.

I'm not encouraging anyone to buy counterfeit goods or to argue with you, but my initial statement stands... at least in NY.
Old 10-11-12, 09:31 PM
Porkponey
Do a barrel roll.

Bikes: Trek 7.2 FX

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by tagaproject6
"Legit" to buy "fake"??? Really? Try the flea market.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.