Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Singlespeed & Fixed Gear
Reload this Page >

Noob question about fixed gear

Search
Notices
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-12, 06:59 PM
rusty44

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

So I'm new to the forum and all, so I might sound like a complete incompetent, but hear me out. I've got a single-speed bike that looks like the single-speeds they use at the velodromes, it has "Indianapolis University 500" on it. I was wondering if it is possible to increase the size in the frontal gear, on the crank, (cog?) or decrease the size of the cog on the rear wheel in order to lower cadence. Thanks a lot.
Old 11-01-12, 07:07 PM
BigglyPuff

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by rusty44
So I'm new to the forum and all, so I might sound like a complete incompetent, but hear me out. I've got a single-speed bike that looks like the single-speeds they use at the velodromes, it has "Indianapolis University 500" on it. I was wondering if it is possible to increase the size in the frontal gear, on the crank, (cog?) or decrease the size of the cog on the rear wheel in order to lower cadence. Thanks a lot.

I think you mean the chainring or the freewheel (rear). Single speeds use freewheels, fixed gear bikes use cogs. And yes, very possible to change it out, either at a shop or do it yourself with the right tools/parts.
Old 11-01-12, 07:12 PM
rusty44

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by BigglyPuff
I think you mean the chainring or the freewheel (rear). Single speeds use freewheels, fixed gear bikes use cogs. And yes, very possible to change it out, either at a shop or do it yourself with the right tools/parts.
Thanks for the info. Also, if the bike is slightly rusty as it has been through a few rainy days, is it necessary to replace parts like the cassette, chain, crankset, or things like that? I wouldn't want to ruin my only bike right at the time I want to start cycling again
Old 11-01-12, 07:16 PM
carleton
Elitist

Mentioned: 88 Post(s)
Quoted: 1386 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 77 Posts
That sounds like a Little 500 bike. It's not worth upgrading. It has a coaster brake and 1 piece cranks.

Little 500 bikes are identical, single-speed (46x18), coaster brake racing bicycles with 700c wheels, 28mm tires and flat rubber pedals. The unusual specification originated with the famous AMF Roadmaster bicycles of the 1960s and 1970s, once the sole bicycle type used in the event. There are two different versions of the bike for men and women, with the only difference being frame size. Every year a new version of the specified bicycle type is purchased, with two given to each team. A deposit of $300 must be placed for both bikes. At the end of the season, teams are given the option to keep their race bikes or to return them back to IUSF in exchange for their deposit. Returned former race bikes are kept at the track and rented out to those teams that lack bicycles meeting Little 500 specifications.
Leave it as is and buy a starter bike.

There are a few different models, but it's probably something like this:

Old 11-01-12, 07:17 PM
Scrodzilla
Your cog is slipping.

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 640 Post(s)
Liked 100 Times in 58 Posts
Carleton beat me to it!

Old 11-01-12, 07:23 PM
rusty44

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hmm. similar, but mine looks more old-fashioned. So the bike is worth not much now?, I thought it was pretty decent lol. If I had to buy a new bike I'd probably go for one of the lighter cross or cyclocross bikes, so I can do mainly road-biking but still give it a beating and not have it crumple up into a trumpet if I inadvertently hit something, which is not an unlikely probability in the winter.

Last edited by rusty44; 11-01-12 at 07:41 PM.
Old 11-01-12, 07:25 PM
carleton
Elitist

I've ridden one before. It's basically a cheap kids bike that's big enough for adults to ride.

I'd suggest leaving it as is. Use it as backup basic transportation and start the process of buying a new bike. I can't see those bikes ever becoming nice bikes.

Another problem is the BB uses old-style press-in cups.
Old 11-01-12, 07:27 PM
carleton
Elitist

Hmm. similar, but mine looks more old-fashioned. So the bike is worth around $100 or not even now, I thought it was pretty decent lol. If I had to buy a new bike I'd probably go for one of the lighter cross or cyclocross bikes, so I can do mainly road-biking but still give it a beating and not have it crumple up into a trumpet if I inadvertently hit something, which is not an unlikely probability in the winter.
No normal cyclist would buy it.

However, it may be worth something to a collector or some alumni. They are sort of difficult to get as you have to buy them from the university and there are limited qualities.

I'd do some investigating.
Old 11-01-12, 07:35 PM
carleton
Elitist

Take some decent photos and post over in Classic & Vintage Appraisals in Inquiries: https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdispl...-and-Inquiries

They'll tell you if you have anything worth anything. Mention "Little 500 bike" in the title.
Old 11-01-12, 07:38 PM
rusty44

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I took it off the rack to snap some pics, it's a Mongoose.

https://www.mediafire.com/view/?ixg8znghdbvm8aq#

https://www.mediafire.com/view/?3bp7g9fd7c33c6h#

https://www.mediafire.com/view/?aftb8r5p7toxcx8
Old 11-01-12, 07:44 PM
Nagrom_
Fixie Infamous

Bikes: 2007 CAAD Optimo Track, 2012 Cannondale CAAD10, 1996 GT Force restomod, 2015 Cannondale CAADX

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
50th anniversary might make it more desirable.
Old 11-01-12, 07:49 PM
hockeyteeth

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Ugh, those bikes are so terrible. Every year during Spring Break we get a bunch of IU students that come to Florida to "train" for the Little 500. They come into the shop with ridiculous questions and requests, and all their bikes are ragged out. I have a hard time seeing anyone pay much for one of those bikes.
Old 11-01-12, 07:54 PM
carleton
Elitist

Originally Posted by Nagrom_
50th anniversary might make it more desirable.
+1

I wouldn't touch it till you know if it's worth restoring. Then if so, I'd consider restoring it the right way. It could be a nice weekend project. Again, consult Classic & Vintage. Original paint and stickers could be worth more than repainting it.

Old 11-01-12, 07:55 PM
carleton
Elitist

Even the tires say "Little 500". Wow.
Old 11-01-12, 08:33 PM
spinerguy

Bikes: Litespeed Teramo, Argon 18 Road, Fuji Mt Fuji Pro MTB, Fuji Track Pro FG, & Cannondale Quick CX Cross

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
"Buon Giorno Papa!"

"Iam not your *papa*, I am your god-damned father!"

Couple of years ago, saw in VS HD the female Little 500 race, seriously had no idea still takes place.
Chicks were racing the red/black model shown above ^

Last edited by spinerguy; 11-01-12 at 08:38 PM.