Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety > Vehicular Cycling (VC)
Reload this Page >

Riding in the "Right Tire Track" is NOT using the full lane!

Search
Notices
Vehicular Cycling (VC) No other subject has polarized the A&S members like VC has. Here's a place to share, debate, and educate.

Riding in the "Right Tire Track" is NOT using the full lane!

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-14, 06:49 PM
spare_wheel

Bikes: NA

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Bekologist
San Diego has over 500 miles of Class II bikeway (bikelanes) - most of them along high speed surface streets.
i think SD needs some bike boulevards.

https://www.keepsandiegomoving.com/Li...St_2.sflb.ashx

i don't consider in-road bike lanes to be separated from traffic. buffered bike lanes calm traffic by taking away space from motorists and provide room for more permanent infrastructure later.
Old 08-06-14, 04:20 AM
Bekologist
totally louche

Bikes: the ever shifting stable loaded with comfortable road bikes and city and winter bikes

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by spare_wheel
i think SD needs some bike boulevards.

https://www.keepsandiegomoving.com/Li...St_2.sflb.ashx

i don't consider in-road bike lanes to be separated from traffic. buffered bike lanes calm traffic by taking away space from motorists and provide room for more permanent infrastructure later.
Spare wheel, it sure sounds like you're suggesting separated and buffered bikelanes, and cycletracks.

the same infrastructure you seem happy the Germans are allowed to avoid on 18mph neighborhood roads.

but slow speeds in town, traffic equity and all that? sounds great. I hope Portland gets there.

So, what about those 500 miles of San Diego bikelane?

The 50 and 60mph arterial roads in San Diego aren't going away, just like the roads between Beaverton or Gresham and Portland aren't going away. I've ridden hundreds, if not thousands of miles across greater Portland, and the greater area is very geared towards the automobile. Get out past the urban growth boundary and the greenspace, and the condominiums and separated subdivisions with only high speed arterial access sprout up like thickets of weeds.

Riding up over the hill out of Forest Park, or to the south past hospital hill, or to the east where the Springwater Corridor trickles out, there's suburbia every bit as disjointed as any in San Diego. There's minor differences: a different climate, and more coffee.

Sooo, you're a proponent of extreme traffic calming in town, and across suburban areas like San Diego -or greater Portland- you'd prefer the bikelanes on the 50mph speedways be buffered? Then turned into something better, like separate paths and cycletracks?

How sensible. How European.

Your position is distinctly at odds with the extremist american vehicularists that come up with vacuous drivel like the graphics on the first page.

Last edited by Bekologist; 08-06-14 at 04:38 AM.
Old 08-06-14, 09:45 AM
spare_wheel

Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
How sensible. How European.

Your position is distinctly at odds with the extremist american vehicularists that come up with vacuous drivel like the graphics on the first page.
Also distinctly at odds with extremist american copenhamsterdamistas. In fact, just the other day professional bike advocates in PDX were pimping a bloody cycle track on the freaking park blocks.

File:South Park Blocks.jpg - Wikimedia Commons

Narrow, slow, streets adjacent to pedestrian-filled parks do not need @#$%ing separation*. The park blocks should have been made car free (or car-restricted) a decade ago.

The 50 and 60mph arterial roads in San Diego aren't going away...
After another decade or so of extreme drought I think resistance to change will diminish.

Last edited by spare_wheel; 08-06-14 at 10:00 AM.
Old 08-06-14, 07:21 PM
Bekologist
totally louche

Bikes: the ever shifting stable loaded with comfortable road bikes and city and winter bikes

Originally Posted by spare_wheel
Also distinctly at odds with extremist american copenhamsterdamistas.
Are you sure? it doesn't sound like it. car free blocks, lane sharing on 18pmh roads, and buffered bikelanes or cycletracks everywhere else matches sensible, robust design guidance coming down the pipe from NACTO, FHWA, the state agencies as well as local and regional bike organizations.

remarkably in tune, like a well adjusted bicycle.
Old 08-11-14, 12:23 PM
spare_wheel

Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
and buffered bikelanes or cycletracks everywhere

saving this quote for future use.
Old 08-12-14, 10:12 AM
Bekologist
totally louche

"car free blocks, lane sharing on 18pmh roads, and buffered bikelanes or cycletracks everywhere else" is a depiction of YOUR vision of bike paradise, not mine. Thats not my POV - it's yours. If it depicts sparewheel's personal desire for a portlandia-copenhagen-berlin mashup incorrectly, please illuminate.

surely it can't be the sellwood bridge in the traffic lane

Neither your vision of portlandia for bicyclists, or my vision of an better accommodated America match the lane control aspirations of the original poster and his compadres.

Last edited by Bekologist; 08-12-14 at 10:15 AM.
Old 08-13-14, 06:59 PM
spare_wheel

Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
"car free blocks, lane sharing on 18pmh roads, and buffered bikelanes or cycletracks everywhere else" is a depiction of YOUR vision of bike paradise, not mine. Thats not my POV - it's yours. If it depicts sparewheel's personal desire for a portlandia-copenhagen-berlin mashup incorrectly, please illuminate.

surely it can't be the sellwood bridge in the traffic lane

Neither your vision of portlandia for bicyclists, or my vision of an better accommodated America match the lane control aspirations of the original poster and his compadres.

my preferred option is to always to eliminate LOVs from our roads...and if that's not possible i would prefer to diet "their" lanes, calm them, slow them, and tax the living @#$% out of them.